Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Disks aren't showing up in Solaris/OBP Post 302630997 by hicksd8 on Thursday 26th of April 2012 04:02:48 PM
Old 04-26-2012
Yep, "mrsas" means it's a LSI Megaraid SAS card.

The drives are type SAS.

It's an add-in card. That's why you can't see the drives.

---------- Post updated at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:15 PM ----------

This probably means that the two drives you can see are in a mirrored pair and the others are unallocated (and not published to the host at all).

---------- Post updated at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:17 PM ----------

Whenever this was delivered to your site there should have been manuals and software with it. Can you go find them??

---------- Post updated at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:19 PM ----------

Let me put it this way; between the disks and the Sun box there's a BIG chunk of electronics which is deciding how things are configured and what the Sun box sees and does not see.

---------- Post updated at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:22 PM ----------

What's likely here is that the drives (you can't see) were configured as a raid0 array (that's striping with no resilience) and when one drive went off-line (the one without the green light) the card took the array offline.

It is possible that if you shutdown (volts completely off) and cold boot (with the failed drive re-seated) it may recover. Alternatively, LSI software often includes an option to "mark the drive online". If you can do that to the failed drive it may recover. Otherwise, use the LSI software to configure a new array (raid0, raid3 raid5 or raid10) and publish a LUN to the host box.

Hope that helps.

---------- Post updated at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:50 PM ----------

Another thought is; you are showing 2 x 298GB drives. It is possible that you have two 298GB arrays configured. If they were raid5 then it could withstand one drive going offline. You might have 8 x 60GB or 8 x 80GB drives configured as two arrays of 4 drives. Have you tried creating some disk traffic on each "drive" and see which drive lights flash??
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sun Solaris OBP Question

Hi, Does anyone know where i can find information on openboot prompt. My machine boot up with the number 1 ok. What does that mean? Any kind of help will be nice. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: souldier
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

re-partition disks on solaris

hi all, i was wondering if i have some volume manager and i want to format all partitions/disks and re-create new slices can i use regular format command or what? i think veritas volume manager is already installed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashar
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris x86 - 2 new disks

Have a compaq dl380 proliant installed with solaris.. It has a smart array 5i controller.. currently I have 2 18gb disks - mirrored as far as I can see... I have just put in 2 36gb disks (just physically put in) How do I get solaris to recognise them so I can use them? format command - only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Hard disks in solaris

I need to insert a new hard disk into a Sun Fire v210 machine. The (only) internal disk which is already in the machine is part number XRA-SC1CB-73G10K (DISK DRIVE ASSY. 73GB, 10K RPM, with SPUD BRACKET). I also have nearly endless access to IBM hard disks at extremely low prices and would there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprellari
2 Replies

5. Solaris

OBP on Solaris 10-intel

Hi All, How can I go to OBP on Solaris 10-intel? I tried doing ctrl+c or ctrl+break, it won't go to the "ok" prompt. Thanks in advance, itik (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
6 Replies

6. Solaris

disks in solaris

whats the command to find name of all disks. Is it iostat -En ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting number of disks in solaris

Friends, i have used the following code to get the number of disks in solaris echo | pfexec format | egrep -v "Searching|AVAILABLE|Specify|^$|@" | wc -l is there a better way to get the same result (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Not showing n/w interface name in Solaris with ifconfig -a

hi frineds in sunfire 6800 server for one domain when ever i am giving ifconfig -a interface names like hme0,hme1.......are not showing.Actually in the server hme0,hme1,qfe are showing .when i was tried with the cat /etc/path_to_intstshowing tphysical interfcace names . after giving the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

9. Solaris

list all solaris Disks

Hi Guy's can anyone advise me .. I have mapped some of EMC devices from EMC Storage to Sun Solaris server and I want to list all the disk which are assigned from the storage can anyone advise me with the command how to can I list all the disk in Solaris Thanks .. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roooooot
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Virtual disks are not showing up in LDom

I have an Oracle VM set up with 1 virtual disk. I am trying to add 2 new disks to it. I was able to successfully add 1 (it appears when I run "format" in the VM) but when I add the second and third disks they do not appear in my VM. Here are the commands I ran: ldm add-vdsdev... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unblockable
3 Replies
MLXCONTROL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     MLXCONTROL(8)

NAME
mlxcontrol -- Mylex DAC-family RAID management utility SYNOPSIS
mlxcontrol <command> [args] mlxcontrol status [-qv] [drive] mlxcontrol rescan controller [controller ...] mlxcontrol detach drive [drive ...] mlxcontrol detach -a mlxcontrol check drive mlxcontrol config controller mlxcontrol help command DESCRIPTION
The mlxcontrol utility provides status monitoring and management functions for devices attached to the mlx(4) driver. Controller names are of the form "mlxN" where N is the unit number of the controller. Drive names are of the form "mlxdN" where N is the unit number of the drive. Do not specify the path to a device node. status Print the status of controllers and system drives. If one or more drives are specified, only print information about these drives, otherwise print information about all controllers and drives in the system. With the -v flag, display much more verbose informa- tion. With the -q flag, do not print any output. This command returns 0 if all drives tested are online, 1 if one or more drives are critical and 2 if one or more are offline. rescan Rescan one or more controllers for non-attached system drives (e.g. drives that have been detached or created subsequent to driver initialisation). If the -a flag is supplied, rescan all controllers in the system. detach Detach one or more system drives. Drives must be unmounted and not opened by any other utility for this command to succeed. If the -a flag is supplied, detach all system drives from the nominated controller. check Initiate a consistency check and repair pass on a redundant system drive (e.g. RAID1 or RAID5). The controller will scan the system drive and repair any inconsistencies. This command returns immediately; use the status command to monitor the progress of the check. rebuild Requires two arguments, controller and physdrive as specified in the output of the status command. All system drives using space on the physical drive physdrive are rebuilt, reconstructing all data on the drive. Note that each controller can only perform one rebuild at a time. This command returns immediately; use the status command to monitor the progress of the rebuild. config Print the current configuration from the nominated controller. This command will be updated to allow addition/deletion of system drives from a configuration in a future release. help Print usage information for command. AUTHORS
The mlxcontrol utility was written by Michael Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
The config command does not yet support modifying system drive configuration. Error log extraction is not yet supported. BSD
April 10, 2000 BSD