Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can I format a text file into uniform columns? Post 302630811 by drl on Thursday 26th of April 2012 09:52:29 AM
Old 04-26-2012
Hi.

Here is an approach using standard utility expand:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

# @(#) s2	Demonstrate preparing and aligning text fields, sed, expand.

pe() { for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done; printf "\n"; }
pl() { pe;pe "-----" ;pe "$*"; }
db() { ( printf " db, ";for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done;printf "\n" ) >&2 ; }
db() { : ; }
C=$HOME/bin/context && [ -f $C ] && $C sed expand

FILE=${1-data1}
pl " Input file $FILE:"
cat -A $FILE

pl " Results of expand:"
sed 's/   */\t/g' $FILE |
expand -t '20,30,50' |
tee f1

pl " Displaying special characters (if any) in output:"
cat -A f1

exit 0

producing:
Code:
% ./s2

Environment: LC_ALL = C, LANG = C
(Versions displayed with local utility "version")
OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 2.6.26-2-amd64, x86_64
Distribution        : Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.8 (lenny) 
bash GNU bash 3.2.39
sed GNU sed version 4.1.5
expand (GNU coreutils) 6.10

-----
 Input file data1:
Charles Dixon  Age 23       Hometown Darlington  Postcode DL1 2DC$
Fred Bixton  Age 34  Hometown Leeds     Postcode LS1 5XS$
Jim Davis            Age 48      Hometown Cardiff  CF2 8YY$

-----
 Results of expand:
Charles Dixon       Age 23    Hometown Darlington Postcode DL1 2DC
Fred Bixton         Age 34    Hometown Leeds      Postcode LS1 5XS
Jim Davis           Age 48    Hometown Cardiff    CF2 8YY

-----
 Displaying special characters (if any) in output:
Charles Dixon       Age 23    Hometown Darlington Postcode DL1 2DC$
Fred Bixton         Age 34    Hometown Leeds      Postcode LS1 5XS$
Jim Davis           Age 48    Hometown Cardiff    CF2 8YY$

This uses the same idea of transforming runs of spaces into TABs, then do the expand.

Obviously, this is not automatic, but it seems easier than awk-printf. You do not however, get the flexibility of right-left-center justification.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

use of format file to extract columns from a source file

hi experts lets say my format file is B B ========= column no,name,type,length 1,ee,N,12 3,hj,N.4 4,kl,N,5 source file ======== d e f g h i 5 8 9 7 6 5 1 3 4 5 6 6 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhendu81
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format a text file

I have a file that gets created by pasting 3 files together to get the one file. The output of the 3 files follows. sft.rtf c3_critappdb_u5 start 04:22:20 end 08:03:41 c3_critappdb_u6 start 18:01:31 end 20:21:19 c3_critappdb_u7 start 00:02:50 end 08:30:17 c3_critappdb_u8 start 17:00:42 end... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhardy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the text file format

Hi, I have a shell script to unload all the empname who have salary >50000 from the emp table into a text file(empname.txt) . m_db unload "$dbc_file" -column_delimiter ',' -select "SELECT empname FROM emp where salary > 50000" >> empname.txt Now my text file have data in the following format ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavithakuttyk
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uniform length for all the lines in file

Hi, I have a file with different width for each line. like first line with 45characters and second line of 30 characters. But I want to make all the lines to 45 characters in file. Appreciate your inputs Thanks Arun: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arund_01
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

format text file

i have a text file in this format: name1^A1^B1^ name2^A2^B2^ ... namex^Ax^Bx^ name1^AA1^ name2^AA2^ ... namex^AAx^ name1^AAA1^BBB1^ name2^AAA1^BBB2^ ... namex^AAAx^BBBx^ name1^AAAA1^ name2^AAAA2^ ... namex^AAAAx^ i want to generate a file: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: busystock
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert text to columns in tab delimited text file

Hello Gurus, I have a text file containing nearly 12,000 tab delimited characters with 4000 rows. If the file size is small, excel can convert the text into coloumns. However, the file that I have is very big. Can some body help me in solving this problem? The input file example, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion of spaces Text file into CSV format file

Input file (each line is separaed by spaces )given below: Name Domain Contact Phone Email Location ----------------------- ------------------------------------------------ ------- -----... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenath1037
18 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing columns from a text file that do not have any values in second and third columns

I have a text file that has three columns. But at the end of the text file, there are trailing lines that have missing second and third columns: 4 0.04972604 KLHL28 4 0.0497332 CSTB 4 0.04979822 AIF1 4 0.04983331 DECR2 4 0.04990344 KATNB1 4 4 4 4 How can I remove the trailing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatenate 2-columns by 2 -columns for a text file?

Hello, I want to concatenate 2-columns by 2-columns separated by colon. How can I do so? For example, I have a text file containing 6 columns separated by tab. I want to concatenate column 1 and 2; column 3 and 4; column 5 and 6, respectively, and put a colon in between. input file: 1 0 0 1... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: huiyee1
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format text file to html

Hi Experts, Anybody out there figure out on how to achieve in shell scripts or tools. I have done googling to find solutions but no luck. I have thousands of .txt files to batch process, please see the below sample text content after -------- start here --------. What I want to achieve is to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lxdorney
10 Replies
EXPAND(1)							   User Commands							 EXPAND(1)

NAME
expand - convert tabs to spaces SYNOPSIS
expand [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Convert tabs in each FILE to spaces, writing to standard output. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -i, --initial do not convert tabs after non blanks -t, --tabs=N have tabs N characters apart, not 8 -t, --tabs=LIST use comma separated list of tab positions The last specified position can be prefixed with '/' to specify a tab size to use after the last explicitly specified tab stop. Also a prefix of '+' can be used to align remaining tab stops relative to the last speci- fied tab stop instead of the first column --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report expand translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
unexpand(1) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/expand> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) expand invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 EXPAND(1)