Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Disks aren't showing up in Solaris/OBP Post 302630591 by hicksd8 on Thursday 26th of April 2012 04:37:11 AM
Old 04-26-2012
What does the output of:

Quote:
probe-scsi-all
say?

Be careful if there's data on the disks that you need!!!

It might just be that the disks aren't "labelled" with a Sun label. When labelled properly a Sun box can read the label and identify the drive.

You can write new labels to the drive(s) by launching the format command with the -e switch (expert mode) which will give you access to a "scsi" menu. Again be careful if there's data on the drives that you need.

Hope that helps.

---------- Post updated at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:20 AM ----------

You always have to consider that there might be a hardware or connection problem that prevents the machine from seeing the disks.
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sun Solaris OBP Question

Hi, Does anyone know where i can find information on openboot prompt. My machine boot up with the number 1 ok. What does that mean? Any kind of help will be nice. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: souldier
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

re-partition disks on solaris

hi all, i was wondering if i have some volume manager and i want to format all partitions/disks and re-create new slices can i use regular format command or what? i think veritas volume manager is already installed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashar
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris x86 - 2 new disks

Have a compaq dl380 proliant installed with solaris.. It has a smart array 5i controller.. currently I have 2 18gb disks - mirrored as far as I can see... I have just put in 2 36gb disks (just physically put in) How do I get solaris to recognise them so I can use them? format command - only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Hard disks in solaris

I need to insert a new hard disk into a Sun Fire v210 machine. The (only) internal disk which is already in the machine is part number XRA-SC1CB-73G10K (DISK DRIVE ASSY. 73GB, 10K RPM, with SPUD BRACKET). I also have nearly endless access to IBM hard disks at extremely low prices and would there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprellari
2 Replies

5. Solaris

OBP on Solaris 10-intel

Hi All, How can I go to OBP on Solaris 10-intel? I tried doing ctrl+c or ctrl+break, it won't go to the "ok" prompt. Thanks in advance, itik (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
6 Replies

6. Solaris

disks in solaris

whats the command to find name of all disks. Is it iostat -En ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting number of disks in solaris

Friends, i have used the following code to get the number of disks in solaris echo | pfexec format | egrep -v "Searching|AVAILABLE|Specify|^$|@" | wc -l is there a better way to get the same result (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Not showing n/w interface name in Solaris with ifconfig -a

hi frineds in sunfire 6800 server for one domain when ever i am giving ifconfig -a interface names like hme0,hme1.......are not showing.Actually in the server hme0,hme1,qfe are showing .when i was tried with the cat /etc/path_to_intstshowing tphysical interfcace names . after giving the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

9. Solaris

list all solaris Disks

Hi Guy's can anyone advise me .. I have mapped some of EMC devices from EMC Storage to Sun Solaris server and I want to list all the disk which are assigned from the storage can anyone advise me with the command how to can I list all the disk in Solaris Thanks .. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roooooot
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Virtual disks are not showing up in LDom

I have an Oracle VM set up with 1 virtual disk. I am trying to add 2 new disks to it. I was able to successfully add 1 (it appears when I run "format" in the VM) but when I add the second and third disks they do not appear in my VM. Here are the commands I ran: ldm add-vdsdev... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unblockable
3 Replies
addbadsec(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     addbadsec(1M)

NAME
addbadsec - map out defective disk blocks SYNOPSIS
addbadsec [-p] [-a blkno [blkno]...] [-f filename] raw_device DESCRIPTION
addbadsec is used by the system administrator to map out bad disk blocks. Normally, these blocks are identified during surface analysis, but occasionally the disk subsystem reports unrecoverable data errors indicating a bad block. A block number reported in this way can be fed directly into addbadsec, and the block will be remapped. addbadsec will first attempt hardware remapping. This is supported on SCSI drives and takes place at the disk hardware level. If the target is an IDE drive, then software remapping is used. In order for software remapping to succeed, the partition must contain an alternate slice and there must be room in this slice to perform the mapping. It should be understood that bad blocks lead to data loss. Remapping a defective block does not repair a damaged file. If a bad block occurs to a disk-resident file system structure such as a superblock, the entire slice might have to be recovered from a backup. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a Adds the specified blocks to the hardware or software map. If more than one block number is specified, the entire list should be quoted and block numbers should be separated by white space. -f Adds the specified blocks to the hardware or software map. The bad blocks are listed, one per line, in the specified file. -p Causes addbadsec to print the current software map. The output shows the defective block and the assigned alternate. This option can- not be used to print the hardware map. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: raw_device The address of the disk drive (see FILES). FILES
The raw device should be /dev/rdsk/c?[t?]d?p0. See disks(1M) for an explanation of SCSI and IDE device naming conventions. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
disks(1M), diskscan(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), format(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
The format(1M) utility is available to format, label, analyze, and repair SCSI disks. This utility is included with the addbadsec, diskscan(1M), fdisk(1M), and fmthard(1M) commands available for x86. To format an IDE disk, use the DOS "format" utility; however, to label, analyze, or repair IDE disks on x86 systems, use the Solaris format(1M) utility. SunOS 5.11 24 Feb 1998 addbadsec(1M)