Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting echo the NAME of the variable Post 302630367 by Chubler_XL on Wednesday 25th of April 2012 06:44:35 PM
Old 04-25-2012
If you can get a delimiter char that isn't in the data or the variable name you could store var and value in 1 array under bash3:

Eg using : char
Code:
[chubler@unix.com ~]$ vars=(varA:AAA1 varB:BBB2 varC:CCC3 varD:DDD1)
[chubler@unix.com ~]$ for val in "${vars[@]}" ; do echo "${val%:*} = ${val#*:}"; done
varA = AAA1
varB = BBB2
varC = CCC3
varD = DDD1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display from a variable using echo.

I have a variable that is outputting a lot of space. here has been 45 lines returned ... how can I remove the spaces between the "been and the 45" CODE: fil_len=`wc -l < coshb.txt` if ; then cat coshb.txt | more echo " " echo "There has been ${fil_len} lines... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo variable problem

hi I have say five variable. I would ask the user which one they want me to print and then print accordingly. TEST_1='10.2.3.4' TEST_2='11.2.3.5' TEST_3='12.2.3.5' TEST_4='13.2.3.5' TEST_5='14.2.3.5' print_var() { echo "Accessing var num $1" echo TEST$1 #??? But How do... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabina
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning variable value using echo

I am modifying an existing script and it has the following line: export SomeEnvVar=`echo ${SomeLocalVar}` Why wouldn't it just read: export SomeEnvVar=${SomeLocalVar} Is there some reason to use echo instead of a direct assignment? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellburger
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a variable to echo to a log

Hi everyone, I am trying to create a simple batch file to make SQL backups. this part of it works fine. Currently the script can mysql dump the databases, compress them, delete the .sql, compress the individual tar.gz into one larger one, delete the smaller files, encrypt the final tar.gz and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luma
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo multiple variable with calculation

$total=500 echo "scale=2; $val1*100/$total" | bc echo "scale=2; $val2*100*100/$total" | bc echo "scale=2; $val3*100/$total" | bc I want to make the above code to be accomplish in a single echo line. For instance output:21.3, 44.2, 51.6 How to achieve that, some one please help, i just... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvin0618
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read variable after echo

Hi, i want to create an user-friendly script where you are asked for two numbers. i would like that these two number to be separated with "--" for example, but i can't figure out how to do this. for example read -p "Insert lowest and highest value: " min ; echo -n "-- "; read max so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezitoc
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to assign echo in variable

I've testing the following code: echo test.txt | cut -d . -f1and get the output "text" So why can't i assign the command to a variable? VAR='"echo test.txt | cut -d . -f1"' echo $VAR (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with variable ECHO $((SED...

Hi, I'm new here so I want to say hello to everyone first! I searched google and this forum for a similar problem, but wasn't successful #! /bin/bash I'm trying to output (echo) n lines of a text file to the screen (later into another file). But I have problem with the sed command, it won't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: studiologe
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo awk output from its variable

Stumped with the formatting of the awk output when used with variables, e.g.: awk -F, 'BEGIN {OFS=","} print {$2,$3,$4}' $infile1 produces the desired output (with rows), but when echoing the variable below, the output is one continuous line var1=$(awk -F, 'BEGIN {OFS=","} print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo a value of a var stored in another variable?

I'm writing a shell script in AIX and using ksh. I have a scenario where I have a variable A which stores $B. so when i echo "$A" it prints $B But I wish to print value stored in var b ie. \a\dir\res\ I wish to store \a\dir\res\ in a third variable C. later I want to cd into that path :... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simpltyansh
1 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)