Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is it possible to prompt for input if not given on command line? Post 302630363 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 25th of April 2012 06:38:46 PM
Old 04-25-2012
How about:

Code:
while [ -z "${decsite:=$1}" ]; do
  printf "Input site number: "
  read decsite
done

while [ -z "${rawtype:=$2}" ]; do
  printf "Input type: "
  read rawtype
done

while [ -z "${daterange:=$3}" ]; do
  printf "Input date: "
  read daterange
done

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

using command line input in C code

Hi I need to list files by their size and exclude those that match a certain size. With grep it is easy enough. ll -rt | grep 2166 | awk '{print $9}' 2166 is the filesize and $9 the filenamefield. What should I be looking for to use this in a C program? My aim is to cut the name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vannie
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to prompt for input & accept input in ONE line

hi, am a new learner to shell programming. i have a script which will prompt for user to key in their name & display their name afterwards. script ===== echo "Pls enter your name:" read name echo "Your name is $name." output ===== Pls enter your name: Bob Your name is Bob. what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie168
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to enter if-then condition on command prompt/line ?

Hi I have some trouble entering if-then condition in a single line on a command prompt in csh. Could someone show how does one do that ? eg: source .cshrc; cd $dir; pwd; test -d $backup_dir; if then mkdir -p ${backup_dir}; echo inside loop; fi; echo outside loop; mv -f... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpc8250
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help-prompt for path and take this as input in find command

HI , I am trying to wite a script that will prompt me saying " what is path that you want to find ?". once i specify the path, the script should put this path in the find command mentioned below and execute the script: find <path> -ctime +200 -type f -exec ls -l {} \; for example : ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsandeep_80
7 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Website-Command Line Prompt

Hello guys... I am having a doubt. Please try to rectify it. I would really appreciate it. The thing is that is it possible to open any website say for example,google from the command line prompt(terminal) if you are working in Linux-fedora... I am very new to Unix. regards, Mahesh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mraghunandanan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command line user input validation

Hi guys, I have a piece of snippet below which asks the user to input some numbers if isDatasubEnabled && isReconEnabled; then echo "1 = CGT, 2 = Subscriber, 3 = Order Monitor, 4 = Revaluations, 5 = Reconciliation, 6 = All, 7 = Exit" elif isDatasubEnabled &&... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyscho
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input variable in command line

i have this script that reads a file "listall_101111" where 101111 varies. awk '{print $0,$1}' listall_101111 | sed -e 's/\(.*\).$/\1/g' | awk '{print $6,$2,$3,$4,$5}' | sort -nrk5 | nawk 'NR==1{m=$5;a++;b=(b)?b:$0;next}$5==m{a++;b=(b)?b:$0}END{for (i in a){print b,a}}' | grep -v ^LG | sort... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Entire Input command not visible in Unix prompt

Hi, While typing the Unix command, entire command is not visible.When the input command is long, it is not visible. I want the entire command to be displayed when i type it. Please help to resolve this issue. Thanks Sampath (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampath.giri
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using redirect for input instead of command line

I have a script that is working when I input parameters from the command line. I was under the assumption that i could use a redirect for the input. script fred.sh: value1=$1 value2=$2 print $value1 $value2 Running from command line: fred.sh 1 2 1 2 Contents of file fred.txt:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: djm2112
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command line multiple input

I'm using the below to get multiple input from USER and it is working, is there any better way in awk array single liner? echo "Enter Multiple input (Ctrl+d to exit)" >output while read A do echo "$A" >>output done (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
3 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)