Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help for umask
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help for umask Post 302630039 by methyl on Wednesday 25th of April 2012 10:03:20 AM
Old 04-25-2012
Quote:
umask 000
Will never cause a file to be created with permissions 777 by default. The new file will have permissions 666 . However a new directory will have permissions 777 .

There is no reason to set permissions 777 on anything except a communal work directory. It just shows a lack of understanding of permissions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umask

in this unix book that i have, it says: the statement: filedes = open(pathname, O_CREAT, mode); is actually filedes = open(pathname, O_CREAT, (~mask)&mode); /* ~ is the negation symbol */ like it's doing some type of masking. for example, fd =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bb00y
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umask

the umask on solaris must return 022 or 0022 wich one is correct and why? thanks, pa (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsh
2 Replies

3. AIX

Umask help

I changed the umask in /etc/security/user to 027. I changed the umask in /etc/profile to 027. My current shell is ksh. My .profile doesn't make any changes to umask or call other scripts that change umask. Running AIX 5.3 I still get a umask of 022 instead of the expected 027. I have no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: x96riley3
1 Replies

4. Linux

help on umask

hai guys , i am having problem in getting the knowledge about umask. actually when i am putting command as umask some value is coming like 0022 by defalut. we can change its value also. but the main thing is thye file permisiion actually depends upon umask.how is it depends upon umask i want to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: suvendu4urs
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umask

Hi, I have a doubt on the umask values. Why is the UMASK value is different from file and directory? Suppose if the umask value is 0022. The file permissions for a newly created file is 644 and the file permissions for a newly created directory is 755. My doubt is why can't it be the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
1 Replies

6. Solaris

umask

Due to urgent requirement to resolve some permission issues , I wish to set solaris 8 server so that any file written is on 777 . I guess need to set umask , how to set it ?? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: falcon16
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Umask

I need to set a umask of 022 for my ssh sessions, or within my profile. I have set the umask in both bash_profile and bashrc. and when i run umask i get 0022 but when i create a file i get, # touch test.txt # ls -l test.txt -rw------- 1 root root 0 Apr 26 12:25 test.txt it seems like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: felix001
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

umask

Hi, Please, let me know how the umask is working? As per my understanding is aprt from subtracting from 666/777, logical gate operation is performing. Ex: If I set uname 011, it gave the permission like 666 for file. Request you to explain which gate's operation performed. $uname 011... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
4 Replies

9. AIX

UMASK

How do I change the umask for a NIS user? Thanks steve (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: steve.lavoie
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Umask help!

Hi guys, I want all new files and directories created, or copy file give this permisson "rwxrwx---", with chmod i do this with octal value "770". If i execute "umask 770" the permissons is not the same with new or copy file. How can i configure this command? I do not understand the "man... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xedrox
1 Replies
mkproto(8)						      System Manager's Manual							mkproto(8)

NAME
mkproto - Constructs a prototype file system SYNOPSIS
mkproto special proto DESCRIPTION
The mkproto command is used to bootstrap a new file system. First a new file system is created using newfs. mkproto is then used to copy files from the old file system into the new file system according to the directions found in the prototype file proto. The prototype file contains tokens separated by spaces or newlines. The first tokens comprise the specification for the root directory. File specifications consist of tokens, giving the mode, the user ID, the group ID, and the initial contents of the file. The syntax of the contents field depends on the mode. The mode token for a file is a 6-character string. The first character specifies the type of the file. (The characters -bcd specify regu- lar, block-special, character-special, and directory files, respectively.) The second character of the type is either a u or a - (dash) to specify setuid mode or not. The third character is either a g or a - (dash) for the setgid mode. The rest of the mode is a 3-digit octal number, giving the owner, group, and other read, write, execute permissions. (See the chmod(1) command for more information.) Two decimal number tokens come after the mode; they specify the user and group IDs of the owner of the file: If the file is a regular file, the next token is a pathname from which the contents and size are copied. If the file is a block-special or a character-special file, two decimal number tokens follow, giving the major and minor device numbers. If the file is a directory, mkproto makes the entries . (dot) and .. (dot dot) and then reads a list of names and (recursively) file specifications for the entries in the directory. The scan is terminated with the token $. The following listing shows a sample prototype specification. d--777 3 1 usr d--777 3 1 sh ---755 3 1 /bin/sh ken d--755 6 1 $ b0 b--644 3 1 0 0 c0 c--644 3 1 0 0 $ $ FILES
Specifies the command path RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: fsck(8), fsdb(8), newfs(8). delim off mkproto(8)