Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Selecting lowest and highest values in columns 1 and 2, based on subsets in column 3 Post 302629887 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 25th of April 2012 07:31:07 AM
Old 04-25-2012
Code:
awk  '{ max[$3]=($2>max[$3])? $2: max[$3];
           if(! $3 in min) {min[$3]=999999999};  
           min[$3]=($1<min[$3])? $1: min[$3];
           next;
        }
        END {
               for(i in min){ print  min[i], max[i], i}
        } '   inputfilename  > outputfilename

Assuming I understood... try this.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl ? - How to find and print the lowest and highest numbers punched in by the user?

. . . . . . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: some124one
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting rows based on values in columns

Hi My pipe delimited .txt file contains rows with 10 columns. Can anyone advise how I output to file only those rows with the letters ‘ci' as the first 2 characters in the 3rd column ? Many thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malts18
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

selecting record by matching in two columns values

Hi Guys ! i want to search a record in file by matching two values in a record in two different columns suppose i have 3 columns and i want to select all those values from col1 for which in col3 has a specific value e.g select all "john" from column1 where column 3 has a value of "20" ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ourned
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP Script don't work selecting lowest value!!!

Hy again guys, Last week i resolve a question here but now i need your help again :rolleyes: I have about 3000 files that i need to choose based on the lowest value, so i make temp files like this: The files can have lines from 1-10 but only 2 columns, the point is to grep the name os the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MetaBolic0
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

top 10 highest and lowest percentile from a column

Hi, I want to extract the the top 10 and lowest 10 percentile for a column of values. For example in column 2 for this file: JOE 1 JAY 5 JAM 6 JIL 8 JIB 4 JIH 3 JIG 2 JIT 7 JAM 9 MAR 10 The top 10 lowest will be: JOE 1 and the top 10 highest will be: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting lines having same values for first two columns

Hello to all. This is first post. Kindly excuse me if I do not adhere to any rules and regulations of this forum. I have a file containing some rows with three columns each per row(separeted by a space). There are certain rows for which first two columns have same value but the value in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manojmalhotra13
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk, highest and lowest value of a column

Hi again! I am still impressed how fast I get a solution for my topic "average specific column value awk" yesterday. The associative arrays in awk work fine for me! But now I have another question for the same project. Now I have a list like this 1 -0.1 1 0 1 0.1 2 0 2 0.2 2 -0.2 How... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjoern456
10 Replies

8. Linux

To get all the columns in a CSV file based on unique values of particular column

cat sample.csv ID,Name,no 1,AAA,1 2,BBB,1 3,AAA,1 4,BBB,1 cut -d',' -f2 sample.csv | sort | uniq this gives only the 2nd column values Name AAA BBB How to I get all the columns of CSV along with this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanvel
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort from highest to lowest number

Hi Guys, I am looking for a way to sort the output below from the "Inuse" count from Highest to Lowest. Is it possible? Thanks in advance. user1 0.12 0.06 0 0.12 User Inuse Pin Pgsp Virtual Unit:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaapar
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script: selecting rows that have the same values in two columns

Hello, everyone I am beginner for shell programming. I want to print all lines that have the same values in first two columns data: a b 1 2 a a 3 4 b b 5 6 a b 4 6 what I expected is : a a 3 4 b b 5 6 but I searched for one hour in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nengcheng
2 Replies
GIT-COLUMN(1)                                                       Git Manual                                                       GIT-COLUMN(1)

NAME
git-column - Display data in columns SYNOPSIS
git column [--command=<name>] [--[raw-]mode=<mode>] [--width=<width>] [--indent=<string>] [--nl=<string>] [--padding=<n>] DESCRIPTION
This command formats its input into multiple columns. OPTIONS
--command=<name> Look up layout mode using configuration variable column.<name> and column.ui. --mode=<mode> Specify layout mode. See configuration variable column.ui for option syntax. --raw-mode=<n> Same as --mode but take mode encoded as a number. This is mainly used by other commands that have already parsed layout mode. --width=<width> Specify the terminal width. By default git column will detect the terminal width, or fall back to 80 if it is unable to do so. --indent=<string> String to be printed at the beginning of each line. --nl=<N> String to be printed at the end of each line, including newline character. --padding=<N> The number of spaces between columns. One space by default. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-COLUMN(1)