Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple list question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple list question Post 302629827 by muay_tb on Wednesday 25th of April 2012 06:16:36 AM
Old 04-25-2012
Simple list question

Hi,

Can someone tell me how to do this...

I want to concatenate a list of files with a ':' using the find command...

I have tried

Code:
find ${dir} -type f -print | sed 's/$/:/g'

but what this does is only append a ':' to the end of the file instead of removing the new line and concatenating the list... Smilie preferably a one liner as currently I am having loop through a list of files using the find command and appending the file to a variable followed by a ':' which is slow...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple question?

I've been a Linux user for quite some time, started out with Red Hat and Mandrake, and just recently moved to Slackware linux.... my question is this: Is there a big difference between Linux and Unix? If so, what? I was just looking at Sun's Solaris 8 thats free for download on Intel... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cuthbert
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Simple Question

Friends, I did following exercise $ echo '' > test $ od -b test $ echo "">test $ od -b test $echo > test $od -b test Every time I got the following output 0000000 012 0000001 But 012 is octal value for new line character . Even though there is no apperent new line character... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: j1yant
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple Question

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to remove the encryption from Data CDs by UNIX? Or does anyone know of a program that can remove the encryption? I would much appreciate it! Thanks, -Peaves (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peaves
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very simple question

I'm new to unix commands and am wondering how you could create a page with html tags in it. echo "<b>Test</b>" > test.html doesn't work because of the tags. How would I do this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: roger19
4 Replies

6. Programming

Simple C question... Hopefully it's simple

Hello. I'm a complete newbie to C programming. I have a C program that wasn't written by me where I need to write some wrappers around it to automate and make it easier for a client to use. The problem is that the program accepts standard input to control the program... I'm hoping to find a simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xeed
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple ls question

i am doing ls -la in the out put , first line is as total 41621 What is this total? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saurabh78
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Simple Question

Hi All, I am new to Unix , I have entered 'cd w' in command prompt and pressed tab key , A tab space is generated instead of listing the folders or files that starts with 'W' . What should i do to get it working:confused: Thanks, Deepak (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepakkumard
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple question 3

Here I am again~~ I am studying the storing function and dot command. But I found I couldn't load a stored function from a file. This is my command-line and script: $ ls -lsa Total 5 0 drwxr-xr-x+ 1 Administrator None 0 May 9 14:44 . 0 drwxr-xr-x+ 1 Administrator None 0 May 9 10:38 .. 4... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: franksunnn
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies
shell(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 shell(1F)

NAME
shell - run a command using shell SYNOPSIS
shell command [command] ... DESCRIPTION
The shell function concatenate its arguments, separating each by a space, and passes this string to the shell ($SHELL if set, otherwise /usr/bin/sh). EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample output of shell command. Since the Form and Menu Language does not directly support background processing, the shell function can be used instead. `shell "build prog > /dev/null &"` If you want the user to continue to be able to interact with the application while the background job is running, the output of an exe- cutable run by shell in the background must be redirected: to a file if you want to save the output, or to /dev/null if you don't want to save it (or if there is no output), otherwise your application may appear to be hung until the background job finishes processing. shell can also be used to execute a command that has the same name as an FMLI built-in function. NOTES
The arguments to shell will be concatenate using spaces, which may or may not do what is expected. The variables set in local environments will not be expanded by the shell because "local" means "local to the current process." ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 shell(1F)