Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parsing XML using shell script Post 302629665 by chihung on Wednesday 25th of April 2012 03:29:28 AM
Old 04-25-2012
To exactly retrieve the value from an XML file, you need to use an XML tool such as xmllint. It comes with Linux by default.
Code:
$ version=`xmllint --xpath '/plist/dict/key[text()="CFBundleVersion"]/following-sibling::string[position()=1]/text()' input.xml`

$ echo $version

This User Gave Thanks to chihung For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML parsing through shell scritps

Hi, Am new to scripting. :) Am trying to figure out whether can i use bash scripting to parse an xml file. Parsing is not just pulling out information according to the pattern but its more of a generic parsing. I should identify the xml hierarchy and pull out information accordingly. It's not a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikvela
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML using Shell Script

Hello, I'm a starting shell scripter and no Perl knowledge. I've trying to do this for a while: I want to parse an XML file and get certain data out of it and write that data into a CSV file, all this using Shell Scripting (in Bash). Or Perl without any XML Parser/Interpreter (if possible). ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kage Musha
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML parsing in a shell script.

Below is a XML I have... <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> <component xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="urn:XXXXX-www-Install-Manifest manifest.xsd" xmlns="urn:qqqqq-Install-Manifest" name="OM" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for XML code parsing.

Please help me to create a shell script that can parse the below XML and send a string back adding all XML values.:) <RequestBillsRsp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xtatic
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for XML code parsing.

I need to create a shell script that can parse the below XML and send a string back adding all XML values. The text which's not in angular braces are to be printed. Sample code: <RequestBillsRsp... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xtatic
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML parsing using shell script

I have a xml file like this <bul:collectionStrategy name="strategy1"> <bul:collectionTemplateGroup name="15min group"/> <bul:collectionTemplateGroup name="hourly group"/> </bul:collectionStrategy> <bul:CollectionTemplateGroup name="hourly group" > ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LavanyaP
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML to Text file Parsing Using shell scripting

Hi folks, Need some help with XML to text file parsing , the following is the content of the XML File. <xn:SubNetwork id="SNJNPRZDCR0R03"> <xn:MeContext id="PRSJU0005"> <xn:VsDataContainer id="PRSJU0005"> <xn:attributes> ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
6 Replies

8. Solaris

XML to Text file Parsing Using shell scripting

Hi, I want to parse an XML File using Shell Script preferably by using awk command, I/P file is : <gn:ExternalGsmCell id="016P3A"> <gn:attributes> <gn:mnc>410</gn:mnc> <gn:mcc>310</gn:mcc> <gn:lac>8016</gn:lac> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML-Text Parsing Using shell scripting

HI Guys, I have to parse below xml file :- <xn:SubNetwork id="ONRM_ROOT_MO_R"> <xn:MeContext id="LP101"> <xn:ManagedElement id="1"> <xn:VsDataContainer id="1"> <xn:attributes> ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing custom data into xml in Shell

Hi , I have data as below in a text file { 'AAA' => { 'A1' => 'a1 comment', 'A2' => 'a2 comment' }, 'BBB' => { 'B1' => 'b1 comment' }, 'CCC' => { 'C1' => 'c1 comment', 'C2' => 'c2 comment', 'C3' => 'c3 comment' 'C4' => 'c4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies
Test::XML::Simple(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    Test::XML::Simple(3pm)

NAME
Test::XML::Simple - easy testing for XML SYNOPSIS
use Test::XML::Simple tests=>5; xml_valid $xml, "Is valid XML"; xml_node $xml, "/xpath/expression", "specified xpath node is present"; xml_is, $xml, '/xpath/expr', "expected value", "specified text present"; xml_like, $xml, '/xpath/expr', qr/expected/, "regex text present"; xml_is_deeply, $xml, '/xpath/expr', $xml2, "structure and contents match"; # Not yet implemented: # xml_like_deeply would be nice too... DESCRIPTION
"Test::XML::Simple" is a very basic class for testing XML. It uses the XPath syntax to locate nodes within the XML. You can also check all or part of the structure vs. an XML fragment. TEST ROUTINES
xml_valid $xml, 'test description' Pass an XML file or fragment to this test; it succeeds if the XML (fragment) is valid. xml_node $xml, $xpath, 'test description' Checks the supplied XML to see if the node described by the supplied XPath expression is present. Test fails if it is not present. xml_is_long $xml, $xpath, $value, 'test description' Finds the node corresponding to the supplied XPath expression and compares it to the supplied value. Succeeds if the two values match. Uses Test::More's "is" function to do the comparison. xml_is $xml, $xpath, $value, 'test description' Finds the node corresponding to the supplied XPath expression and compares it to the supplied value. Succeeds if the two values match. Uses Test::LongString's "is_string" function to do the test. xml_like_long $xml, $xpath, $regex, 'test description' Find the XML corresponding to the the XPath expression and check it against the supplied regular expression. Succeeds if they match. Uses Test::More's "like" function to do the comparison. xml_like $xml, $xpath, $regex, 'test description' Find the XML corresponding to the the XPath expression and check it against the supplied regular expression. Succeeds if they match. Uses Test::LongString's "like_string" function to do the test. xml_is_deeply_long $xml, $xpath, $xml2, 'test description' Find the piece of XML corresponding to the XPath expression, and compare its structure and contents to the second XML (fragment) supplied. Succeeds if they match in structure and content. Uses Test::More's "is" function to do the comparison. xml_is_deeply $xml, $xpath, $xml2, 'test description' Find the piece of XML corresponding to the XPath expression, and compare its structure and contents to the second XML (fragment) supplied. Succeeds if they match in structure and content. Uses Test::LongString's "is_string" function to do the test. AUTHOR
Joe McMahon, <mcmahon@cpan.org> LICENSE
Copyright (c) 2005 by Yahoo! and Joe McMahon This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.6.1 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. SEE ALSO
XML::XPath, Test::More, Test::Builder. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-05 Test::XML::Simple(3pm)