Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find ordinary files in directory input by user Post 302629483 by agama on Tuesday 24th of April 2012 06:37:25 PM
Old 04-24-2012
I fixed a typo in my example with back quotes, but that shouldn't have generated the error you are seeing. Can you post the script that is giving you the error so we can see what you are trying?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find all files created by a specified user in a directory and its subdirectories

Is there a command or shell script which can be used for Finding all files created by a specified userid in a directory and its subdirectories. Say, I want to find all such files in directory /abc as well as in all the subdirectories such as /abc/xyz or /abc/xyz/pqr aqnd so on which was created... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilashnair
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

switching user from root to ordinary user

Good day Guys!!! I am currently making a script in AIX, the script runs a SAS job, the owner of the script is the root, but the SAS jobs cannot be run by the root, as it should be run by a user 'sasia'. But inside the script, root creates a logfile, so what I need is just to su to sasia for the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasia
3 Replies

3. AIX

[Help] Give privilege to an ordinary user

I'm trying to give a non-root user the right to start IBM HTTP Server, the web server is listening on port 80, but for AIX, ports under 1024 are privilege ports which can be used only by root. /usr/IBMIHS/bin# ./apachectl start (13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address :::80... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ibmer414
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i change to super user then revert back to ordinary user ,using shell script?

Hi all, I am trying to eject the cdrom from a livecd after certain stage... Now assuming that it is possible to eject,please consider my issue!!! The OS boots into a regular user by default...so i am unable to use the eject command to push out the drive... However if i try pfexec eject it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

5. Linux

grant root privileges to ordinary user

Hi, Is it possible to grant root privileges to an ordinary user? Other than 'sudo', is there some way under Users/Groups configuration? I want ordinary user to be able to mount, umount and use command mt. /Brendan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brendan76
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to give an ordinary user the superuser (root) ID which is 0

How to give an ordinary user the superuser (root) ID which is 0 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharaola
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files for a user, excluding a directory

I have been searching, and cannot find an answer for this. I am trying to find all files for a user, lets call him (test001), and I want to exclude a specific directory. Here is the command I run, it finds all files: find / -user test001 I get this result: > find / -user test001 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve2x4
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace in a directory using an input file

Hi folks, I need help to finish this script please. see below: I have an input file with all the IP address to names formated like so in a txt file addnsr1pri 166.7.3.105 addnsr1sec 166.2.100.22 addnsr2pri 166.2.220.121 addnsr2sec 166.3.68.45... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: richsark
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of files within a directory input by the user

So I have a loop that stated if a directory exists or not. If it does it prints the number of files within that directory. I use this code... result=`(ls -l . | egrep -c '^-')` However, no matter which directory I input, it outputs the number "2" What is wrong here? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itech4814
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a new directory by getting input from user

Hi All, I am really new to Linux.I am trying to write a script for creating a new directory by getting input of folder name from the user.Please help me in this regard. #! /bin/bash echo "Enter name of dir":$filename mkdir -p $filename When executing this I am getting following error ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradeep_1990
13 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEB(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLDEB(1)

NAME
dh_installdeb - install files into the DEBIAN directory SYNOPSIS
dh_installdeb [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdeb is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files into the DEBIAN directories in package build directories with the correct permissions. FILES
package.postinst package.preinst package.postrm package.prerm These maintainer scripts are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Inside the scripts, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. package.triggers package.shlibs These control files are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Note that package.shlibs is only installed in compat level 9 and earlier. In compat 10, please use dh_makeshlibs(1). package.conffiles This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory. In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here. package.maintscript Lines in this file correspond to dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) commands and parameters. However, the "maint-script-parameters" should not be included as debhelper will add those automatically. Example: # Correct rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo # INCORRECT rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo -- "$@" In compat 10 or later, any shell metacharacters will be escaped, so arbitrary shell code cannot be inserted here. For example, a line such as "mv_conffile /etc/oldconffile /etc/newconffile" will insert maintainer script snippets into all maintainer scripts sufficient to move that conffile. It was also the intention to escape shell metacharacters in previous compat levels. However, it did not work properly and as such it was possible to embed arbitrary shell code in earlier compat levels. The dh_installdeb tool will do some basic validation of some of the commands listed in this file to catch common mistakes. The validation is enabled as a warning since compat 10 and as a hard error in compat 12. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLDEB(1)