Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Counting the number of files within a directory input by the user Post 302629475 by Corona688 on Tuesday 24th of April 2012 06:11:38 PM
Old 04-24-2012
. is the current directory. You're always listing the same directory.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting number of files in a directory

Some simple questions from a simple man. If i wanted to count the number of files contained within a directory, say /tmp would ls -l /tmp ¦ wc -l suffice and will it be accurate? second one: How would i check the number of files with a certain string in the filename, in the same directory. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamalex
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count the number of files which have a search string, but counting the file only once

I need to count the number of files which have a search string, but counting the file only once if search string is found. eg: File1: Please note that there are 2 occurances of "aaa" aaa bbb ccc aaa File2: Please note that there are 3 occurances of "aaa" aaa bbb ccc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudheshnaiyer
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with counting of files then pass number to variable

hi all, i'm trying to pass a count of files to a variable thru these set of codes: sh_count=$(ls -1 fnd_upload_LV*.* |wc -l) problem is if no files matches that, it will give an error "ls: fnd_upload_LV*.*: No such file or directory". how do i avoid having the shell script show that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of readable, writable, and executable items in a directory

Hello, I'm writing a script in sh in which the first command line argument is a directory. from that, i'm suppose to count the number of readable, writable, and executable items in the directory. I know using $1 represents the directory, and ls would display all the items in the directory, and that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kratos22
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting number of files that contain words stored in another file

Hi All, I have written a script on this but it does not do the requisite job. My requirement is this: 1. I have two kinds of files each with different extensions. One set of files are *.dat (6000 unique DAT files all in one directory) and another set *.dic files (6000 unique DIC files in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Counting files in a given directory

Hi all, Need some help counting files... :) I'm trying to count the number of files in a given directory (and subdirectories) which reportedly contains "thousands" of files. I'm using this: ls -R | wc -l However it's been an hour and looks like it's still running; there is no output... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
18 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting number of folders in a Directory

Help Needed ! Can we count number of folders of specific date in a directory, even if directory has folders of different dates. Please reply as soon as possible. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishal_215
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the number of characters in the filename of all files in a directory?

I am trying to display the output of ls and also print the number of characters in EVERY file name. This is what I have so far: #!/bin/sh for x in `ls`; do echo The number of characters in x | wc -m done Any help appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LinuxNubBrah
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find ordinary files in directory input by user

I need to make a shell script that accepts a directory input by the user. The program searches for the directory and finds if it exists or not. Then if it does exist, it outputs the number of files within that directory. Here's what I have so far. result= echo "Please input a directory:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itech4814
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting number of times content in columns occurs in other files

I need to figure out how many times a location (columns 1 and 2) is present within a group of files. I figured using a combination of 'while read' and 'grep' I could count the number of instances but its not working for me. cat file.txt | while read line do grep $line *08-new.txt | wc -l... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
6 Replies
uuclean(8c)															       uuclean(8c)

Name
       uuclean - uucp spool directory clean-up

Syntax
       uuclean -p[pre] [ options ... ]

Description
       The  command  scans the spool directory for files with the specified prefix and deletes all those which are older than the specified number
       of hours.

The -ppre argument causes the command to scan for files with pre as the file prefix.  You can specify up to 10 arguments.   A  without  any
       pre following causes all files older than the specified time to be deleted.  You must specify at least one argument.

Options
       -ntime	    Delete  all  files	whose age is more than time, in hours, (default is 72 hours) and that have the specified pre as their file
		    prefix.

-m	    Send mail to the owner of the file when it is deleted.

-ssystem     Delete files in all directories that are subdirectories of the per system spool directory that exists for system.  If  ALL	is
		    specified, then all system directories are processed.  ALL is the default.

-ddirectory  Delete files that reside in the named directory.  The default directory is The option over rides the option.

The  command typically starts the program.  In earlier versions, a deleted work file (C.file) would result in mail to the owner of the work
       file, regardless of the option.	Now, notification of deleted work files is sent to the user ID "uucp".	If the option  is  used,  mail	is
       also sent to the owner.

Examples
       Here are some example command lines:
       # uuclean -pLTMP. -pLOG. -n4 -d/usr/spool/uucp
       # uuclean -d/usr/spool/uucp/.XQTDIR -p -n
       # uuclean -smarkie -p -n84
       The third example deletes all files for the system that are older than 84 hours.

Files
       Directory with commands used by uuclean internally

See Also
       uucp(1c), uux(1c), cron(8)

uuclean(8c)