Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Write filenames into an array variable Post 302629175 by neutronscott on Tuesday 24th of April 2012 11:32:28 AM
Old 04-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutha0303
Code:
#!/bin/bash
cd $HOME/HY_DUMP
num=0
for filename in *.sql
do 
testarray[$num]=$filename
num = `expr $num+1`
echo $num
done
testnum=$num
num=0
echo $testnum

ok. `expr` is unnecessary. also, assignment is done without any spaces around the "=":
Code:
num=$((num+1))

is the least invasive way to change your approach.

but the code i gave is much better. if you still need to loop over files then to do some processing:
Code:
shopt -s nullglob  # edit: forgot this.
cd "$HOME/HY_DUMP"
sqlfiles=( *.sql )
testnum=${#sqlfiles[@]}

num=0
for file in "${sqlfiles[@]}"; do
    echo "$((num++)) $file"
done

echo "$testnum"

edit: forgot to set nullglob, so that if no file exist the array will be empty instead of having literal '*.sql'

Last edited by neutronscott; 04-24-2012 at 02:15 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Push records to array during implicit loop and write to file

NEWBIE ALERT! Hi, I'm 1 month into learning Perl and done reading "Minimal Perl" by Tim Maher (which I enjoyed enoumously). I'm not a programmer by profession but want to use Perl to automate various tasks at my job. I have a problem (obviously) and are looking for your much appreciated help.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jospan
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

i have no understanding of how to write an array or use one, please help!

im in a basic unix class and our professor speaks broken engliash so i can never understand what exactly we are doing in class and i have no prior experience with unix. we were given an assignment to make 2 files. one to Input 10 numbers and print out the biggest number, and one to Write a script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wendyshephard
1 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

i have no understanding of how to write an array or use one, please help!

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: make 2 files. one to Input 10 numbers and print out the biggest number, and one to Write a script that can check... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wendyshephard
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing cutted filenames into variable

Hi, I'd like to write a script which works on various files file1.jpg, file2.jpg ..... These files are splitted and their names are something like file_.XXX. I'd like to merge them and convert them at some moment again in file.XXX also file1_1.jpg file1_2.jpg ... >file1.pdf file2_1.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsco
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Read an array and write to another array with intial string pattern checks

I have an array and two variables as below, I need to check if $datevar is present in $filename. If so, i need to replace $filename with the values in the array. I need the output inside an ARRAY How can this be done. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write array contents to file

Hi, I have a bash script that currently holds some data. I am trying to write all the contents to a file called temp.txt. I am using echo ${array} > temp.txt The problem that I am experiencing is that the elements are being written horizontally in the file. I want them written... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Filter500
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get filenames in a directory and write them in to a file?

I need to get the names of files which are starting with a string testfile. Also i want to create a XML file in the same location and write these file names into the XML. Ex: <path> <dir> <file>testfile1</file> </dir> <dir> <file>testfile2</file> </dir>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing filenames in an array in shell script

hi, i am writing a shell script in which i read a line in a variable. FNAME="s1.txt s2.txt s3.txt s4.txt s5.txt" i want to create a array and store single file names in a array.. so the array should contain arr="s1.txt" arr="s2.txt" arr="s3.txt" arr="s4.txt" arr="s5.txt" how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Naming output files based on variable parameters and input filenames

Hello, I have a series of files in sub-directories that I want to loop through, process and name according to the input filename and the various parameters I'm using to process the files. I have a number of each, for example file names like AG005574, AG004788, AG003854 and parameter values like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdeads
2 Replies
Num(3o)                                                            OCaml library                                                           Num(3o)

NAME
Num - Operation on arbitrary-precision numbers. Module Module Num Documentation Module Num : sig end Operation on arbitrary-precision numbers. Numbers (type num ) are arbitrary-precision rational numbers, plus the special elements 1/0 (infinity) and 0/0 (undefined). type num = | Int of int | Big_int of Big_int.big_int | Ratio of Ratio.ratio The type of numbers. === Arithmetic operations === val (+/) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.add_num . val add_num : num -> num -> num Addition val minus_num : num -> num Unary negation. val (-/) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.sub_num . val sub_num : num -> num -> num Subtraction val ( */ ) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.mult_num . val mult_num : num -> num -> num Multiplication val square_num : num -> num Squaring val (//) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.div_num . val div_num : num -> num -> num Division val quo_num : num -> num -> num Euclidean division: quotient. val mod_num : num -> num -> num Euclidean division: remainder. val ( **/ ) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.power_num . val power_num : num -> num -> num Exponentiation val abs_num : num -> num Absolute value. val succ_num : num -> num succ n is n+1 val pred_num : num -> num pred n is n-1 val incr_num : num Pervasives.ref -> unit incr r is r:=!r+1 , where r is a reference to a number. val decr_num : num Pervasives.ref -> unit decr r is r:=!r-1 , where r is a reference to a number. val is_integer_num : num -> bool Test if a number is an integer === The four following functions approximate a number by an integer : === val integer_num : num -> num integer_num n returns the integer closest to n . In case of ties, rounds towards zero. val floor_num : num -> num floor_num n returns the largest integer smaller or equal to n . val round_num : num -> num round_num n returns the integer closest to n . In case of ties, rounds off zero. val ceiling_num : num -> num ceiling_num n returns the smallest integer bigger or equal to n . val sign_num : num -> int Return -1 , 0 or 1 according to the sign of the argument. === Comparisons between numbers === val (=/) : num -> num -> bool val (</) : num -> num -> bool val (>/) : num -> num -> bool val (<=/) : num -> num -> bool val (>=/) : num -> num -> bool val (<>/) : num -> num -> bool val eq_num : num -> num -> bool val lt_num : num -> num -> bool val le_num : num -> num -> bool val gt_num : num -> num -> bool val ge_num : num -> num -> bool val compare_num : num -> num -> int Return -1 , 0 or 1 if the first argument is less than, equal to, or greater than the second argument. val max_num : num -> num -> num Return the greater of the two arguments. val min_num : num -> num -> num Return the smaller of the two arguments. === Coercions with strings === val string_of_num : num -> string Convert a number to a string, using fractional notation. val approx_num_fix : int -> num -> string See Num.approx_num_exp . val approx_num_exp : int -> num -> string Approximate a number by a decimal. The first argument is the required precision. The second argument is the number to approximate. Num.approx_num_fix uses decimal notation; the first argument is the number of digits after the decimal point. approx_num_exp uses scien- tific (exponential) notation; the first argument is the number of digits in the mantissa. val num_of_string : string -> num Convert a string to a number. === Coercions between numerical types === val int_of_num : num -> int val num_of_int : int -> num val nat_of_num : num -> Nat.nat val num_of_nat : Nat.nat -> num val num_of_big_int : Big_int.big_int -> num val big_int_of_num : num -> Big_int.big_int val ratio_of_num : num -> Ratio.ratio val num_of_ratio : Ratio.ratio -> num val float_of_num : num -> float OCamldoc 2012-06-26 Num(3o)