Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trouble executing piped shell commands in perl code Post 302629061 by sam05121988 on Tuesday 24th of April 2012 09:16:24 AM
Old 04-24-2012
That worked thanks,
but can you explain why awk didn't work inside the code

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

executing commands in child shell

I have to execute some commands after executing one command ( cleartool setview Tagname) Problem is that I write commands in script like this. echo "test1" cleartool setview tagname echo "test2" copy file1 file2 echo "test3" but when I execute script. Output --------- test1 If I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udaykishore
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing commands through shell variable

Hey there, I am trying to pass a command as argument to a function. The command shows up in $1. Now I want to execute this command, but if I do a $1 ./sample "bla/blaprintf: warning: ignoring excess arguments, starting with `bla/bla' The code is : #!/bin/ksh fn() { $1 } fn... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriyer
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH variable containing piped commands

Hi, I am trying to execute a bunch of piped command which are stored in a variable, but only one command executed at a time, and rest of the pipes, commands and their arguments are considered as argument to the very first command. Can you please help me in this? bash-2.05$ cat test.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prashant.ladha
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to stay in remote shell after executing commands in ssh?

the ssh calling convention: ssh <server> If I put commands in the section, ssh will execute them immediately after logging in and return to local shell. I want to stay in the remote shell after executing these commands. How can I achieve this? Thanks for all. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hplonlien
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run multiple piped commands in a find -exec statement?

I can't get this to work. Running a single command works fine: find . -name "*.dat" -exec wc -l '{}' \; gives me the file name and number of lines in each .dat file in the directory. But what if I want to pipe commands, e.g. to grep something and get the number of lines with that pattern... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJR
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a shell script containing awk commands

Hi All, I am trying to execute a shell script containg awk commands. But unable to do so. Below is my script. Please help. The name of the script is scan.sh and I have tried executing it using the command sh scan.sh It is giving an error which reads like: awk:syntax error near line 7... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: misb
3 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

What are different ways of executing shell commands?

I am a student in BCIT in vancouver and taking comp2771 course.(Shell scripting). I would like to know what are different ways of executing shell commands? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adam25ca
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commands not executing after FTP in shell script

Hello In the shell script we have a FTP command like below ftp -n -v -q winftp.principal.com >/infa/datafiles/GRP/Scripts/ftp_from_infa_dvcn.log<<END_SCRIPT   quote USER $FTP_USER quote PASS $FTP_PASS ascii lcd $FTP_LOCALDIR cd $FTP_FLDR put $FTP_FILE   bye exit If i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing multiple ssh commands inside a shell simultaneously

I would like to execute a commands in four different servers through ssh at a single instance(simultaneously). Below are the details with examples, ssh user1@server1 "grep xxxx logs" ssh user1@server2 "grep xxxx logs" ssh user1@server3 "grep xxxx logs" Each statement will take some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amutha
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing MQ commands in Perl

If you want to capture the output of any command, we then will be writing the system command in `` or qx. `` an qx works fine with all linux and windows system commands. But when I execute the below code.. it is displaying the output on the screen directly instead of storing to variable ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
3 Replies
English(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      English(3pm)

NAME
English - use nice English (or awk) names for ugly punctuation variables SYNOPSIS
use English; use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; # Avoids regex performance penalty # in perl 5.16 and earlier ... if ($ERRNO =~ /denied/) { ... } DESCRIPTION
This module provides aliases for the built-in variables whose names no one seems to like to read. Variables with side-effects which get triggered just by accessing them (like $0) will still be affected. For those variables that have an awk version, both long and short English alternatives are provided. For example, the $/ variable can be referred to either $RS or $INPUT_RECORD_SEPARATOR if you are using the English module. See perlvar for a complete list of these. PERFORMANCE
NOTE: This was fixed in perl 5.20. Mentioning these three variables no longer makes a speed difference. This section still applies if your code is to run on perl 5.18 or earlier. This module can provoke sizeable inefficiencies for regular expressions, due to unfortunate implementation details. If performance matters in your application and you don't need $PREMATCH, $MATCH, or $POSTMATCH, try doing use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; . It is especially important to do this in modules to avoid penalizing all applications which use them. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 English(3pm)