Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Declaring variables without initialization Post 302629045 by asterisk-ix_use on Tuesday 24th of April 2012 09:02:59 AM
Old 04-24-2012
No need to declare variables in a shell script. The variables come to existence automatically when they are used. All the variables that do not exist are assumed to be null. So if you wish to give all the variables you wannt to use in your script to some default value, initialize them using
PHP Code:
variable=value 

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Declaring variable environments in .cshrc

Hi All, I have been trying to set variable environment for the JAVA_HOME but it doesn' work. The path set is as follows setenv JAVA_HOME "/usr/local/jdk1.3" setenv PATH $JAVA_HOME/bin setenv CLASSPATH ${JAVA_HOME}/lib/tools.jar:{JAVA_HOME}/lib/dt.jar can anyone suggest Me where am I and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: v_sharda
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Declaring Local Arrays

I have some function function() { fileNamelist=( `find Uploads -name "somePattern" | tr '\n' ' '` ) } but "local fileNamelist" makes it variable. How do I declare fileNameList as a local array in BASH? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ksh
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Declaring functions in CSH

Hi all, It might seem like a very trivial question but I am new to shell scripting so excuse for that. I have an existing script in CSH. I need to create a function in the script which takes some parameters and returns a result. Can someone please let me know the syntax for function... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
4 Replies

4. BSD

Declaring Global Variables in KLD

Hello, how can I define a global variables in KLD? I would like to define some variables in my KLD and then would like to use them from other KLD. Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: int80h
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

declaring variable with for $(seq)

Hi guys. i have the following script: 1 #!/bin/bash 2 linkcount=$(grep "/portal" tickets | wc -l) 3 grep "/portal" tickets > links 4 for i in $(seq 1 $linkcount); do 5 echo "BLYAT" 6 let link$i=$(sed -n "$i"p links) 7 echo $ 8 done the problem is, that "let" can`t... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neverhood
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Declaring LD_PRELOAD system wide for dynamic loading

Dear Fellows; As being new to linux, i have tried to synamically load a custom library which overrides some system calls like conncet(), socket() etc.... for custom purposes. It works well, if declaring the environment path LD_PRELOAD and execution of the application to be override... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mzeeshan
0 Replies

7. Programming

Declaring variables

Hey guys im facing a problem in declaring variables. i have a few classes like the one below... #ifndef _FINANCE_H #define _FINANCE_H #include <string> #include <iostream> #include <fstream> #include <stdlib.h> using namespace std ; class readStraitsTimesIndex { ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

declaring a variabale as string type

I know that directly we can assign a string to a variable but is there any other way to declare a variable as string type. I am using tcsh shell where I am using a function which would return a value of string type but when I am using return keyword , it is returning only integer value.pls help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maitree
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PERL: Declaring Array

Is it possible to declare an array in the following way: @tmp = (@f,"String1","String2", "String3",@f); I'm getting the following error message: Array found where operator expected at Program.pl line 181, near "" (Missing semicolon on previous line?) ---------- Post updated at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WongSifu
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Declaring arrays in csh

Does anyone know how to declare an array in csh? I don't want to declare any elements in the array because I have a variable that represents the size of the array. For example: the array I want to declare is called sortList and it passes in the variable ARRAYSIZE that stores the value 8. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: demet8
1 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)