Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to launch results of a pipe? Post 302628965 by scampsd on Tuesday 24th of April 2012 07:54:58 AM
Old 04-24-2012
Question How to launch results of a pipe?

Good afternoon,
I have just messed up and deleted some directories on my UNIX machine.
I would now want to know which packages are impacted by this. Therefore I have a look in the file "/var/sadm/install/contents" (which contains the filenames/directory names for each installation package). After this, I add "ls " in front and "1>/dev/null" at the back, so I get following result:

Code:
$grep "<Package>" /var/sadm/install/contents | awk {'print "ls " $1 " 1>/dev/null"'}
ls /usr/3rdpty/ant/lib/ant.jar 1>/dev/null
ls /usr/3rdpty/ant/lib/xercesImpl.jar 1>/dev/null
ls /usr/3rdpty/ant/lib/xml-apis.jar 1>/dev/null
Now I would like to launch those "ls" commands. The idea is the following:
$ls <existing file> 1>/dev/null
$ls <non-existing file> 1>/dev/null
<non-existing file>: No such file or directory

=> I intend only to see which files/directories have been erased that belong to the package. When there are none, nothing needs to be done. When there are some, the package needs to be re-installed.

In order to do this, I need to launch the "ls ..." output.
I have already tried using a "| eval" behind it, but this does not work.
Does anybody have an idea?

Thanks
Dominique

Last edited by Scott; 04-24-2012 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pipe SQL select statement results to script

Hello I would like to perform a select from a oracle table and return those values to my shell script For example: site=head -1 $infile | cut -c1-15 | awk '{printf "s%", $0} sqlplus -s /nolog |& #Open pipe to sql select col1, col2, col3, col4 from oracle_table where col5 =... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: houtakker
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filter results through pipe with grep

ls -ltr | grep string How can I use regular expressions to filter the results provided even more. I am using the above command as a reference. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ckandreou
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pipe results of Grep Command to LS Comand

I'm using the command grep -l XYZ to get a list of files containing the string XYZ. Then I using the comand ls -l ABC to get the create date timestamp of the each file. I've tried combining the comands using the pipe command, grep -l XYZ | ls -l, but its not working. What am I doing wrong? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhtate
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I execute the results of a pipe?

Hello, I'm using csh. I have a file named "setup" that I normally source, e.g. source setupI'd like a one-liner that sources this file, but excluding lines that contain "DEBUG", e.g. cat setup | grep -v DEBUG | sourceOf course, the above does not work. How can I execute the results of a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: acheong87
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pipe with Broken Pipe

Hi All , Is there any way to replace the pipe ( | ) with the broken pipe (0xA6) in unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saj
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display find results, and pipe to xargs

I have an overnight script which runs across a large directory to repair permissions and ownership. I also have this command output the list of files affected so that cron can email these as a log file. Previously I had the command in the form: find /path/to/files -not -user myname -print -exec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mij
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed returns different results while substitution on a pipe delimited file

Hi, Need help with a sed command that I am using to substitute 3 positions of a pipe delimited file. i am getting different results while substituting the same position of two different files with the same value. Please see details below: $ cat chk2 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vmenon
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can ctag and cscope support recording search results and displaying the history results ?

Hello , When using vim, can ctag and cscope support recording search results and displaying the history results ? Once I jump to one tag, I can use :tnext to jump to next tag, but how can I display the preview search result? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pipe binary file matches grep results to file

I am using grep to match a pattern, but the output is strange. $ grep -r -o "pattern" * Gives me: Binary file foo1 matches Binary file foo2 matches Binary file foo3 matches To find the lines before/after, I then have to use the following on each file: $ strings foo1 | grep -A1 -B1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipperuga
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore Pipe in Pipe delimited file?

Hi guys, I need to know how i can ignore Pipe '|' if Pipe is coming as a column in Pipe delimited file for eg: file 1: xx|yy|"xyz|zzz"|zzz|12... using below awk command awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|" } print $3 i would get xyz But i want as : xyz|zzz to consider as whole column... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies
DEVD(8) 						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						   DEVD(8)

NAME
devd -- device state change daemon SYNOPSIS
devd [-dnq] [-f file] [-l num] DESCRIPTION
The devd daemon provides a way to have userland programs run when certain kernel events happen. The following options are accepted. -d Run in the foreground instead of becoming a daemon and log additional information for debugging. -f file Use configuration file file instead of the default /etc/devd.conf. If option -f is specified more than once, the last file speci- fied is used. -l num Limit concurrent socket connections to num. The default connection limit is 10. -n Do not process all pending events before becoming a daemon. Instead, call daemon right away. -q Quiet mode. Only log messages at priority LOG_WARNING or above. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The devd utility is a system daemon that runs in the background all the time. Whenever a device is added to or removed from the device tree, devd will execute actions specified in devd.conf(5). For example, devd might execute dhclient(8) when an Ethernet adapter is added to the system, and kill the dhclient(8) instance when the same adapter is removed. Another example would be for devd to use a table to locate and load via kldload(8) the proper driver for an unrecognized device that is added to the system. The devd utility hooks into the devctl(4) device driver. This device driver has hooks into the device configuration system. When nodes are added or deleted from the tree, this device will deliver information about the event to devd. Once devd has parsed the message, it will search its action list for that kind of event and perform the action with the highest matching value. For most mundane uses, the default handlers are adequate. However, for more advanced users, the power is present to tweak every aspect of what happens. The devd utility reads /etc/devd.conf or the alternate configuration file specified with a -f option and uses that file to drive the rest of the process. While the format of this file is described in devd.conf(5), some basics are covered here. In the options section, one can define multiple directories to search for config files. All files in these directories whose names match the pattern *.conf are parsed. These files are intended to be installed by third party vendors that wish to hook into the devd system without modifying the user's other config files. Since devctl(4) allows only one active reader, devd multiplexes it, forwarding all events to any number of connected clients. Clients con- nect by opening the SOCK_SEQPACKET UNIX domain socket at /var/run/devd.seqpacket.pipe. FILES
/etc/devd.conf The default devd configuration file. /var/run/devd.seqpacket.pipe The socket used by devd to communicate with its clients. /var/run/devd.pipe A deprecated socket retained for use with old clients. SEE ALSO
devctl(4), devd.conf(5) AUTHORS
M. Warner Losh BSD
August 14, 2014 BSD