Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to handle Numerical result out of range? Post 302628235 by radoulov on Monday 23rd of April 2012 07:02:07 AM
Old 04-23-2012
I would use something like this:

Code:
a=hello999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
awk -v n="$a" 'BEGIN {
  gsub(/[^0-9]/, x, n)
  if (n == 0) print "Zero"
  }'

You could easily extend the code to handle negative and floating point numbers too:

Code:
a=hello-99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999.9
awk -v n="$a" 'BEGIN {
  gsub(/[^0-9.-]/, x, n)
  (n ~ /-/ && n ~! /^-/) && gsub(/-/, x, n)
  if (n <= 0) print "Zero"
  }'

And, of course, special care should be taken to handle strings like these:
Code:
hello-9-99
h.ello9

Last edited by radoulov; 04-23-2012 at 08:42 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numerical Decision

I'm tryning to do something like this, I have this file: spaces12tabgoodbye spaces3tabhello I want to copy to another file the lines that have the number above 10... I thought using sort -rn but I don't know how to discard the lines that have the number below 10. Any idea? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmpx
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep to handle a 0 result

Hi guys, I have the following grep command in a script to search through a file for a string and return its count, and it works fine for when the string exists: grep "string" file.txt | wc However, sometimes the result will be 0 and I want the script to take this as the result. Right now... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting formatted Result log file from old 30000 lines result log<help required>

Well I have a 3000 lines result log file that contains all the machine data when it does the testing... It has 3 different section that i am intrsted in 1) starting with "20071126 11:11:11 Machine Header 1" 1000 lines... "End machine header 1" 2) starting with "20071126 12:12:12 Machine... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas.iet
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

display the result of wc -l with words before and after the result

hello showrev -p | wc -l returns: 381 What to do in case I want to have this output: number of lines returned by showrev -p is: 381 thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get the value of a numerical expression

Hi, All, I want to calculate a specific value of a Gaussian distribution, say the mean is a=3, variance is b=5, the indepentent variable is x=2, how could I get the y which is the Gaussian distribution value of x. Thanks, Jenny (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jenny.palmy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

print range between two patterns if it contains a pattern within the range

I want to print between the range two patterns if a particular pattern is present in between the two patterns. I am new to Unix. Any help would be greatly appreciated. e.g. Pattern1 Bombay Calcutta Delhi Pattern2 Pattern1 Patna Madras Gwalior Delhi Pattern2 Pattern1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyan321
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

if [ "variable" = "numerical-range" ]; then

been a while so i'm a bit rusty and need a little help. writing a script that needs to compare $EXECHOST(a number) against a numerical range and then set a value. below isn't working but should give you folks an idea of my goal: if ; then echo "This is a 32B machine, exiting..." if ;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between handle to the thread HANDLE and thread identifier pthread_t

This question might be silly but its confusing me a bit: What is the difference between handle to the thread HANDLE and thread identifier pthread_t? ---------- Post updated at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:48 PM ---------- Sorry I saw details and HANDLE is in windows and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Validate numerical

friends that way I can validate that the value is numeric taken instance var = 12re if var = numeric then a echo "Numerical else echo "not mumerico" fi edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags for code, data and terminal output (yourself). (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare the current result with previous line result.?

Hi Gurus, I have requirement to compare current result with previous reuslt. The sample case is below. 1 job1 1 1 job2 2 1 job3 3 2 job_a1 1 2 job_a2 2 2 job_a3 3 3 job_b1 1 3 job_b2 2 for above sample file, GID is group ID, for input line, the job run... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ken6503
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)