Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem in formatting output of SQL query in excel sheet in shell script Post 302628117 by guruprasadpr on Monday 23rd of April 2012 02:35:47 AM
Old 04-23-2012
Hi

1. Regarding the fields not coming below the column title, the default linesize in sqlplus is 80. Looks your output line is more than 80 bytes. Set the linesize to a bigger value say 100. I mean, after the pagesize setting line, add the below line and check:

Code:
set linesize 100

2. Regarding the date formatting, I do not think you can format it like you do for a varchar or a number field. You need to change the NLS_DATE_FORMAT. To change NLS_DATE_FORMAT, you can google and see, you will find lots

Guru.
This User Gave Thanks to guruprasadpr For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to update existing excel sheet using shell script

Hi All, I am having an excel sheet with pre-defined format which our business team specified, what i need to do is i have to write a script which need to pick values from database and update specified cells in excel sheet.. can any one please help me in this regard.. I am able to pull the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balanarendra
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter data in Excel sheet using Shell Script

Hi, I have an excel sheet which has 100000 records. All these records are having 3 columns each with the last column as "Y" or "N". I would like to filter those records which has the value "Y". Can you please let me know how to proceed with that? Thanks in advance. -Sri ----------... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhanusri83
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting the query output using shell script

Hi All, I'm finding it difficult to format the query output that was returned in a shell script. Actually i have one shell script which does some DB stuff and depending on the result it will do some more tasks. My question here is to format the query output returned by mysql. Intitally my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSC1985
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sql select command output formatting in shell script

Hi, I need to connect to the database and retrieve two variables from the database and store them in a variable,out of these two variables I need to get lastdigit appended to the variable 1 retrieved and variable 2 with out any modification in short select var,data from usage; o/p=... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkrish
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting Shell script output to Excel

I am facing a problem formatting the output of my shell script in excel. We are directing the output of the script to an excel sheet and need long integer type data printed in Excel as it is (i.e. not in the default scientific notation). Also, leading zeroes(if any) in the output are getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bornali.p
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding tab to excel sheet with shell script

(1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SQL Query in Shell Script output formatting

Hi All, #!/bin/ksh call_sql () { sql=$1 sqlplus -s $sqlparam_sieb <<EOF SET ECHO OFF; SET NEWPAGE NONE; SET SQLBL OFF; SET VERIFY OFF; SET LINESIZE 2000; SET... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Tivoli
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run sql query in shell script and output data save as delimited text

I want to run sql query in shell script and output data save as delimited text (delimited text would be comma) Code: SPOOL_FILE=/pgedw/dan.txt SQL=/pgedw/dan.sql sqlplus -s username/password@myhost:port/servicename <<EOF set head on set COLSEP , set linesize 32767 SET TRIMSPOOL ON SET... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jaganjag
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script appending output of sql query

I am writing the following script to create the file v_out.txt. sqlplus -s /nolog << EOF CONNECT scott/tiger@orcl; whenever sqlerror exit sql.sqlcode; set newpage 0; SET PAGESIZE 0; SET ECHO OFF; SET FEEDBACK OFF; SET HEADING OFF; SET VERIFY OFF; SET LINESIZE 100; set tab off; set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: itzkashi
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Not able to write SQL query output in to .csv file with shell script.

I am trying to write SQL query output into a .csv file. But in the output columns are displaying in different lines instead of coming in one line. Main Code shell script: this is my code: #!/bin/bash file="db_detail.txt" . $file rm /batch/corpplan/bin/dan.csv... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepgoli53
6 Replies
TBL(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TBL(1)

NAME
tbl - format tables for nroff or troff SYNOPSIS
tbl [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tbl is a preprocessor for formatting tables for nroff or troff(1). The input files are copied to the standard output, except for segments of the form .TS options ; format . data .T& format . data . . . .TE which describe tables and are replaced by troff requests to lay out the tables. If no arguments are given, tbl reads the standard input. The (optional) options line is terminated by a semicolon and contains one or more of center center the table; default is left-adjust expand make table as wide as current line length box doublebox enclose the table in a box or double box allbox enclose every item in a box tab(x) use x to separate input items; default is tab linesize(n) set rules in n-point type delim(xy) recognize x and y as eqn(1) delimiters Each line, except the last, of the obligatory format describes one row of the table. The last line describes all rows until the next .T&, where the format changes, or the end of the table at .TE. A format is specified by key letters, one per column, either upper or lower case: L Left justify: the default for columns without format keys. R Right justify. C Center. N Numeric: align at decimal point (inferred for integers) or at S Span: extend previous column across this one. A Alphabetic: left-aligned within column, widest item centered, indented relative to L rows. ^ Vertical span: continue item from previous row into this row. - Draw a horizontal rule in this column. = Draw a double horizontal rule in this column. Key letters may be followed by modifiers, also either case: | Draw vertical rule between columns. || Draw a double vertical rule between columns. n Gap between column is n ens wide. Default is 3. Ffont Use specified font. B and I mean FB and FI. T Begin vertically-spanned item at top row of range; default is vertical centering (with Pn Use point size n. Vn Use n-point vertical spacing in text block; signed n means relative change. W(n) Column width as a troff width specification. Parens are optional if n is a simple integer. E Equalize the widths of all columns marked E. Each line of data becomes one row of the table; tabs separate items. Lines beginning with are troff requests. Certain special data items are recognized: _ Draw a horizontal rule in this column. = Draw a double horizontal rule in this column. A data line consisting of a single or draws the rule across the whole table. \_ Draw a rule only as wide as the contents of the column. Rx Repeat character x across the column. ^ Span the previous item in this column down into this row. T{ The item is a text block to be separately formatted by troff and placed in the table. The block continues to the next line begin- ning with T}. The remainder of the data line follows at that point. When it is used in a pipeline with eqn, the tbl command should be first, to minimize the volume of data passed through pipes. EXAMPLES
Let <tab> represent a tab (which should be typed as a genuine tab). .TS c s s c c s c c c l n n. Household Population Town<tab>Households <tab>Number<tab>Size Bedminster<tab>789<tab>3.26 Bernards Twp.<tab>3087<tab>3.74 Bernardsville<tab>2018<tab>3.30 .TE Household Population Town Households Number Size Bedminster 789 3.26 Bernards Twp. 3087 3.74 Bernardsville 2018 3.30 SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/tbl SEE ALSO
troff(1), eqn(1), doctype(1) M. E. Lesk and L. L. Cherry, ``TBL--a Program to Format Tables'', Unix Research System Programmer's Manual, Tenth Edition, Volume 2. TBL(1)