Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need Help with grep printing multiple lines. Post 302628063 by m_usmanayub on Monday 23rd of April 2012 12:40:38 AM
Old 04-23-2012
Thanks for the command It worked exactly the ways I wanted.

Can you please help me understand the syntax of this command. thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep on multiple lines

I 'm trying to grep 2 fieldds on 2 differnt lines. Like this: psit > file egrep -e '(NS|ES)' $file. Not working. If this succeeds then run next cmd else exit. Pls Help Gundu (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gundu
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep multiple lines

Hey guys: I've been meaning to post this question for awhile...it is regarding grep. Let's say for example that the following entry is in logxx: Wed Feb 2 07:44:11 <vsm> 91030 Line 5 Severity 1 Vps 6 Call Answered - DN:8753101 CLID:5164665761 PI:83 If I do a grep 91030... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
27 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing out multiple lines with a correct format

Hello, This is my first post and I've just started on UNIX in school. A file name "list" has the following content (excluding the numbers and the bottom part): 1 2 3 4 5 6 0123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890 IT ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cooolway
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Printing Multiple Lines after pattern match

Hello People, Need some assistance/guidance. OUTLINE: Two files (File1 and File2) File1 has some ids such as 009463_3922_1827 897654_8764_5432 File2 has things along the lines of: Query= 009463_3922_1827 length=252 (252 letters) More stufff here ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deep9000
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required on grep command(Skip the first few lines from printing in the output)

Hi experts I want the proper argument to the grep command so that I need to skip the first few lines(say first 10 lines) and print all the remaining instances of the grep output. I tried to use grep -m 10 "search text" file*. But this gives the first 10 instances(lines) of the search string.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep command to find multiple strings in multiple lines in a file.

I want to search files (basically .cc files) in /xx folder and subfolders. Those files (*.cc files) must contain #include "header.h" AND x() function. I am writing it another way to make it clear, I wanna list of *.cc files that have 'header.h' & 'x()'. They must have two strings, header.h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritikaSharma
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep in multiple lines

hi i have kind of below text in a file. I want to get a complete paragraph starting with START and ending with before another START) which has a particular string say XYZ or ABC START XYZ hshjghkjh 45 ljkfd fldjlj d jldf START 3493u ABC 454 4545454 4545454 45454 4545454 START ...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grep across multiple lines

How do you grep 'select * from table_name' string from a script if the select * and from table_name are on 2 different lines ? like select * from table_name Any help would be greatly appreciated !!! Thanks RDR (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RDR
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble printing multiple lines to a new file

Hi, I'm trying to auto generate some php files with a default preamble at the top which is a block comment. The problem is that my output has no new lines and it looks like the output from "ls" is being printed after everyline This is my code #!/bin/bash read -d '' pre_amble... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: racshot65
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing multiple lines on the same line between specific text

This is an extract from a large file. The lines that start with fc are ports on a fabric switch. In between each fc port there is information about the port. fc2/12 is up Port description is SEIEDISCOVER-3 Speed is 4 Gbps fc2/13 is down (Administratively down) fc2/14 is up Port... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
1 Replies
COMM(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   COMM(1)

NAME
comm -- select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123i] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which should be sorted lexically, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. The filename ``-'' means the standard input. The following options are available: -1 Suppress printing of column 1, lines only in file1. -2 Suppress printing of column 2, lines only in file2. -3 Suppress printing of column 3, lines common to both. -i Case insensitive comparison of lines. Each column will have a number of tab characters prepended to it equal to the number of lower numbered columns that are being printed. For example, if column number two is being suppressed, lines printed in column number one will not have any tabs preceding them, and lines printed in column number three will have one. The comm utility assumes that the files are lexically sorted; all characters participate in line comparisons. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of comm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The comm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1) STANDARDS
The comm utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). The -i option is an extension to the POSIX standard. HISTORY
A comm command appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BSD
December 12, 2009 BSD