Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep multiple search terms with context Post 302627511 by Moe.Wilensky on Friday 20th of April 2012 04:42:27 PM
Old 04-20-2012
Grep multiple search terms with context

I have a file that is a sort library in the format:

Code:
##def title1

content1
stuff1

content2
stuff2

##enddef
##def title2

etc..

I want to grep def and content and pull some trailing context from content

so the result would look something like:

Code:
##def title1
content2
stuff2
##def title2
content2
 stuff2
etc..

something like:

Code:
$ grep '##def|Content2 -A 1' ./file

where the -A 1 only applies to the second search term.

thoughts?

thanks.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Welcome to the UNIX and Linux Forums. Please use code tags. Video tutorial on how to use them

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 04-20-2012 at 05:48 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple search with grep

is it possible to execute multiple search with grep??? grep criteria1 criteria2 file something like this... I know other way: grep pattern1 file-name1 > results-file grep pattern2 file-name1 >> results-file cat results-file but can it be done with one grep???? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search multiple words using grep

Hi frnds i want to desplay file names that should be word1 and word2 ex : i have 10 *.log files 5 files having word1 and word2 5 files having only word1, i have used below command egrep -l 'word1|word2' *.log its giving all 10 files, but i want to display only 5... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: pb18798
20 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple Line search using grep

Hi All, I am trying to search multiple lines in file using grep /sed.And i cant seem to make it work. The File looks like this 5012001,100,AUTOBATCH,FEE,DAILYFEE,0,0 4241 SERVICE DENIED 5012002,100,AUTOBATCH,FEE,DAILYFEE,0,0 4241 SERVICE DENIED... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pistachio
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple search keyword in grep

Dear All, I have a file containing info like TID:0903 asdfasldjflsdjf TID:0945 hjhjhkhkhkh TID:2045 hjhjhkhkhkh TID:1945 hjhjhkhkhkh TID:2045 hjhjhkhkhkh I need to show only lines containing TID:0903 asdfasldjflsdjf TID:0945 hjhjhkhkhkh TID:2045 hjhjhkhkhkh TID:2045 hjhjhkhkhkh ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: saifurshaon
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping multiple terms with different arguments

Grep -e 'term1' -A1 -e 'term2' -A3The above code always searches for either term and prints results + next three lines. I'm trying to print out: foo foo foo term1 bar bar bar line right after the above -- la la la la term2 so so so line right after the above and again and again I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkozel
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple terms and output to individual files

Hi all, I'll like to search a list of tems in a huge file and then output each of the terms to individual files. I know I can use grep -f list main.file to search them but how can I split the output into individual files? Thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivpz
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whether we can search multiple strings using or in grep -F

Hi, Whether we can search multiple strings using or in grep -F In Generally, grep -F "string1" "filename.txt" How to search for multiple string using grep -F as we using grep grep "string1\|string2" "filename.txt" Regards, Nanthagopal A (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep? - using a file of terms to search another file when the information is on a different line

I have a flat file that looks like this, let's call it Chromosome_9.txt: FT /Gene_Name="Guanyl-Acetylase 9" FT /Gene_Number"36952" FT /Gene_Name="Endoplasmic Luciferase" FT /Gene_Number"36953" FT ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search file and print everything except multiple search terms

I'm trying to find a way to search a range of similar words in a file. I tried using sed but can't get it right:sed 's/\(ca01\)*//'It only removes "ca01" but leaves the rest of the word. I still want the rest of the information on the lines just not these specific words listed below. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use a grep search to search for a specific string within multiple directories?

Lets say I have a massive directory which is filled with other directories all filled with different c++ scripts and I want a listing of all the scripts that contain the string: "this string". Is there a way to use a grep search for that? I tried: grep -lr "this string" * but I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
3 Replies
POE::Filter::Grep(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    POE::Filter::Grep(3pm)

NAME
POE::Filter::Grep - select or remove items based on simple rules SYNOPSIS
#!perl use POE qw( Wheel::FollowTail Filter::Line Filter::Grep Filter::Stackable ); POE::Session->create( inline_states => { _start => sub { my $parse_input_as_lines = POE::Filter::Line->new(); my $select_sudo_log_lines = POE::Filter::Grep->new( Put => sub { 1 }, Get => sub { my $input = shift; return $input =~ /sudo[d+]/i; }, ); my $filter_stack = POE::Filter::Stackable->new( Filters => [ $parse_input_as_lines, # first on get, last on put $select_sudo_log_lines, # first on put, last on get ] ); $_[HEAP]{tailor} = POE::Wheel::FollowTail->new( Filename => "/var/log/system.log", InputEvent => "got_log_line", Filter => $filter_stack, ); }, got_log_line => sub { print "Log: $_[ARG0] "; } } ); POE::Kernel->run(); exit; DESCRIPTION
POE::Filter::Grep selects or removes items based on simple tests. It may be used to filter input, output, or both. This filter is named and modeled after Perl's built-in grep() function. POE::Filter::Grep is designed to be combined with other filters through POE::Filter::Stackable. In the "SYNOPSIS" example, a filter stack is created to parse logs as lines and remove all entries that don't pertain to a sudo process. (Or if your glass is half full, the stack only selects entries that DO mention sudo.) PUBLIC FILTER METHODS
In addition to the usual POE::Filter methods, POE::Filter::Grep also supports the following. new new() constructs a new POE::Filter::Grep object. It must either be called with a single Code parameter, or both a Put and a Get parameter. The values for Code, Put, and Get are code references that, when invoked, return true to select an item or false to reject it. A Code function will be used for both input and output, while Get and Put functions allow input and output to be filtered in different ways. The item in question will be passed as the function's sole parameter. sub reject_bidoofs { my $pokemon = shift; return 1 if $pokemon ne "bidoof"; return; } my $gotta_catch_nearly_all = POE::Filter::Grep->new( Code => &reject_bidoofs, ); Enforce read-only behavior: my $read_only = POE::Filter::Grep->new( Get => sub { 1 }, Put => sub { 0 }, ); modify modify() changes a POE::Filter::Grep object's behavior at run-time. It accepts the same parameters as new(), and it replaces the existing tests with new ones. # Don't give away our Dialgas. $gotta_catch_nearly_all->modify( Get => sub { 1 }, Put => sub { return shift() ne "dialga" }, ); SEE ALSO
POE::Filter for more information about filters in general. POE::Filter::Stackable for more details on stacking filters. BUGS
None known. AUTHORS &; COPYRIGHTS The Grep filter was contributed by Dieter Pearcey. Documentation is provided by Rocco Caputo. Please see the POE manpage for more information about authors and contributors. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-15 POE::Filter::Grep(3pm)