Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script outputing out numbers when it shouldn't Post 302626643 by gary_w on Thursday 19th of April 2012 01:40:19 PM
Old 04-19-2012
It would be a big help to show us what your input file looks like, and what you expect the output to look like.

I suspect there may be a simpler way to accomplish what you are trying to do.

Last edited by gary_w; 04-19-2012 at 03:01 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

A question on C programming and Outputing variables

I was wondering if someone could show me what I'd need to do in C programming language to output the current values of all of your environment variables and do so in such a way that it will duplicate an "env" command on unix. Does anyone know how and can you share it with me? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HelpMeIAmLost
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why is this so hard when it shouldn't be?

All I ask is one thing: 1. Where can i dl unix and the driver for my modem? right now i have win xp HP notebook, and bellsouth is my provider with a westell modem. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: velious
2 Replies

3. Solaris

script hangs when outputing to /dev/console

I am running solaris 8 on a sparcs box. The system is connected to a lightwave console server. I have a script that hangs when sending output to '/dev/console'. Any ideas? -V (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vada010
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

outputing sed to a variable

Hello, My appologies for asking a very basic question but... In a shell, I enter: echo tit | sed -e s/tit/tat/g This returns: tat as expected. But when I enter: set test = `echo tit | sed -e s/tit/tat/g` echo $test This returns an empty line. Why is this so and how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flewis
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimited data contains line feeds where they shouldn't be

I have some data, each record (line) ends with a line feed (\n). Each field is pipe (|) delimited. 1|short desc|long text|2001-01-01 01:01 2|short desc| long text |2002-02-02 02:02 3|short desc| long text | 2003-03-03 03:03 4|short desc | long text | 2004-04-04 04:04 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericdp63
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script argument not outputing line -NULL

Hi everybody! I am writing a script which accepts two arguments one of them being a message. All is working except for the message part. That is, to accept text as an argument. I have trouble storing and echoing a line of text. It seems that writing a few words and store them in an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluetxxth
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed not outputing variable into new file

Hi all, I have a script that creates folders depending on what variables i enter when calling the script. This all works as expected but what i want to do is add some additional data into another file so that other scripts are aware of this file. I've found the following sed command which... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: springs2
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

This awk should work, shouldn't it?

Heyas Trying to parse a tempfile, but somehow i mess up. To my understand, this should work... Plain: tail -n1 out.tmp 1 81.5M 1 1066k 0 0 359k 0 0:03:52 0:00:02 0:03:50 359k I want to get the 81.5M, so i'd assume it'll be $2 for awk.... tail -n1 out.tmp | awk... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
24 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Users of own group shouldn't be able to delete

Oracle Linux 6.5 oracle user's primary group is oinstall and its secondary group is dba,asmdba,asmoper. For the below created directory, I want the users belonging to dba,asmdba,asmoper to be able create, read and execute files but not delete them. How can I achieve that. If I use 775 as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why does this if match although it shouldn't?

Hi everyboy, I am a little confused and can't understand why I get a positive match in the following case. Shell Script section echo $SHELL echo "Server type = ${SERV_TYPE}" if ]]; then echo "foor" echo -e $(_date) "${cinfo}INFO: ${crst}Checking SAP memory on ${HOST}"This is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h1kelds
1 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-f] [-q] [-t] [file] DESCRIPTION
Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -f Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: One person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo' and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. -q Be quiet. -t Output timeing data to standard error. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), replay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. Linux July 30, 2000 Linux