Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using sed command replace date variable in unix Post 302626403 by Epsilon on Thursday 19th of April 2012 09:28:50 AM
Old 04-19-2012
also this:

i am agree with Franklin52.You can use any character that is not used in the entire expression for any other purpose as a separator instead of slash /.But there is another way here-
shell can be made to ignore special meaning of embedded slashes and treat them as literals by using backslash.So,use \ for each separating slash in date field like dd\/mm\/yyyy.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop with sed command to replace line with sed command in it

Okay, title is kind of confusion, but basically, I have a lot of scripts on a server that I need to replace a ps command, however, the new ps command I'm trying to replace the current one with pipes to sed at one point. So now I am attempting to create another script that replaces that line. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

invoke unix variable in SED command

Hi, I am trying tio invoke unix variable in a sed command like below, but it seems to be failing.. a=1 sed -n '$a,$p' file.txt ### Failing but a=1 sed -n '1,$p' files.txt ### Works fine Please help me to fix this... Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjayraghavan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using file-and-replace sed command with the use of a variable?

Ok, so, let's say I have the variable $GMAILID....How can I use it with sed command so to replace a string in a file? e.g.: sed -i 's/$GMAILID/test@gmail.com/' /home/$USER/Desktop/sendmail (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace with a variable in sed command

Hello, I have this command and it works fine. My question is that how can we replace the N by a variable, to print for instance a big number of lines. It means if I want 100 lines after an expression, to not put "N" 100 times in the sed. Code: $ sed -n '/aaa/{n;N;N;s///g;s/;/; /g;p;}'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rany1
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed convert date/replace

Hi, I wold like to replace this 2012 Mar 02 to this 20120302. i have already this code: ls -lrt | awk '{ print $8$6$7 }'| sed -e s/*:*/'2013'/g -e s/'Jan'/01/g -e s/'Feb'/02/g -e s/'Mar'/03/g -e s/'Apr'/04/g -e s/'May'/05/g -e s/'Jun'/06/g -e s/'Jul'/07/g -e s/'Aug'/08/g -e... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: snayper
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace slash in date format only

Hello experts. I haven't been able to find a solution for this using the sed command. I only want to replace the forward slash with string "FW_SLASH" only if there's a number right after the slash while preserving the original number. I have a file containing 2 entries: Original File:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] sed - how replace date in script

Hi All, I have a requirement to find and replace old date with new date value. Below is the scenario: # In the input file, date is MM/DD/YYYY format PREV_DTE=09/15/2013 I want to replace with 09/30/2013. It should look like PREV_DTE=09/30/2013 I am using below sed command :... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockygsd
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX script to replace old date with current date dynamically in multiple files present in a folder

I am trying to work on a script where it is a *(star) delimited file has a multiple lines starts with RTG and 3rd column=TD8 I want to substring the date part and I want to replace with currentdate minus 15 days. Here is an example. iam using AIX server $ cat temp.txt RTG*888*TD8*20180201~... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shankar455
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to replace a parameter(variable) date value inside a text files daily with current date?

Hello All, we what we call a parameter file (.txt) where my application read dynamic values when the job is triggered, one of such values are below: abc.txt ------------------ line1 line2 line3 $$EDWS_DATE_INSERT=08-27-2019 line4 $$EDWS_PREV_DATE_INSERT=08-26-2019 I am trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepp
1 Replies
FNMATCH(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						FNMATCH(3)

NAME
fnmatch -- test whether a filename or pathname matches a shell-style pattern LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <fnmatch.h> int fnmatch(const char *pattern, const char *string, int flags); DESCRIPTION
The fnmatch() function matches patterns according to the rules used by the shell. It checks the string specified by the string argument to see if it matches the pattern specified by the pattern argument. The flags argument modifies the interpretation of pattern and string. The value of flags is the bitwise inclusive OR of any of the following constants, which are defined in the include file <fnmatch.h>. FNM_NOESCAPE Normally, every occurrence of a backslash ('') followed by a character in pattern is replaced by that character. This is done to negate any special meaning for the character. If the FNM_NOESCAPE flag is set, a backslash character is treated as an ordi- nary character. FNM_PATHNAME Slash characters in string must be explicitly matched by slashes in pattern. If this flag is not set, then slashes are treated as regular characters. FNM_PERIOD Leading periods in string must be explicitly matched by periods in pattern. If this flag is not set, then leading periods are treated as regular characters. The definition of ``leading'' is related to the specification of FNM_PATHNAME. A period is always ``leading'' if it is the first character in string. Additionally, if FNM_PATHNAME is set, a period is leading if it immediately follows a slash. FNM_LEADING_DIR Ignore ``/*'' rest after successful pattern matching. FNM_CASEFOLD Ignore case distinctions in both the pattern and the string. RETURN VALUES
The fnmatch() function returns zero if string matches the pattern specified by pattern, otherwise, it returns the value FNM_NOMATCH. SEE ALSO
sh(1), glob(3), regex(3) STANDARDS
The current implementation of the fnmatch() function does not conform to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). Collating symbol expressions, equiv- alence class expressions and character class expressions are not supported. HISTORY
The fnmatch() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. BUGS
The pattern '*' matches the empty string, even if FNM_PATHNAME is specified. BSD
July 18, 2004 BSD