Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Why there are /var/adm/messages.0,messages.1,messages.2,messages.3 Post 302626341 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 19th of April 2012 08:21:38 AM
Old 04-19-2012
The files are 'log rotated' - that means the current one (see ls -l [filename]) is this weeks file, file.5 is from five weeks ago. This allows you to keep messages organized by time/date. After a while the files are aged out - deleted when they are old.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

/var/adm/messages- Help

Solaris 8/ sun 420R Checked /var/adm/messages file and got the following message: Dec 4 16:40:05 serverXYZ ConfigProvider: get_pkg_instdate: getdate failed for the standard C locale (7) Does anyone know what this means? Looked up getdate but do not understand.... Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: finster
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

error messages in /var/adm/messages

Hi, I have a SunFire V490, Solaris 10 with XP1024 storage and HP Library. I have noticed the following error messages in the /var/adm/messages file. These errors are being generated constantly. Also commands like devfsadm, format cfgadm etc are getting hung. After a reboot it works fine for a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitinp82
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Info req: /var/adm/messages - Kern.warning - different ID messages

Hi all, where I can find a list and meaning of the ID number (for example ID 353554 kern.warning)? Thanks in advance Pierluigi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Petrucci
1 Replies

4. Solaris

/var/adm/messages

Check message file and result posted below. Can anyone tell me what this is a sign of, what does it mean? server1% more messages.0 Dec 02 09:35:06 server1 bsd-gw: Inval id protocol request (65): AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA^\\2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: finster
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Help understanding [daemon.warning] messages in /var/adm/messages

Hi I've been using solaris for a few days now. During the install process i had some problems configuring my nic as i needed to install a third-party driver, which i got from a a linked site from the Sun Device Detector tool a ran prior to installing. I got it working eventually, but i'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpg.2009
1 Replies

6. Solaris

[kern.warning] messages in /var/adm/messages

Hi Having looked through the log file /var/adm/messages i've noticed these kernel warning messages and i don't know what they mean: !-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> cpudrv: NOTICE: cpu_acpi: _TSS package not found. cpudrv: WARNING:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpg.2009
1 Replies

7. Solaris

uamod messages in /var/adm/messages

Hello, I am using Solaris 10 and I'm geting the folowing error in /var/adm/messages. Feb 12 09:01:18 srp21ce1 uamod: NOTICE: (uamod480 @ Q 0x600159db710) set threshold to default values Feb 12 09:01:18 srp21ce1 uamod: NOTICE: (uamod480 @ Q 0x600159db710) threshold values... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toshibelul
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/var/adm/messages vs /var/log/messages

The /var/adm/messages in Solaris seem to log more system messages/errors compared to /var/log/messages in Linux. I checked the log level in Linux and they seem OK. Is there any other log file that contains the messages or is it just that Linux doesn't log great many things? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Local zone is not logging systems messages to /var/adm/messages

This is isolated to just 1 non-global zone out of many zones managed This is a Solaris 11 system on SPARC This is NOT a branded zone syslogd is active This came to our attention when one of our scripts didn't run over the weekend prompting us to check our messages logging in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: samthewildone
6 Replies
FS_MESSAGES(1)						       AFS Command Reference						    FS_MESSAGES(1)

NAME
fs_messages - Sets whether the Cache Manager writes log messages SYNOPSIS
fs messages [-show (user|console|all|none)] [-help] fs me [-s (user|console|all|none)] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs messages command controls whether the Cache Manager displays status and warning messages on user screens, the client machine console, on both, or on neither. There are two types of Cache Manager messages: o User messages provide user-level status and warning information, and the Cache Manager directs them to user screens. o Console messages provide system-level status and warning information, and the Cache Manager directs them to the client machine's designated console. Disabling messaging completely is not recommended, because the messages provide useful status and warning information. OPTIONS
-show (user|console|all|none) Specifies the types of messages to display. Choose one of the following values: user Send user messages to user screens. console Send console messages to the console. all Send user messages to user screens and console messages to the console (the default if the -show argument is omitted). none Do not send any messages to user screens or the console. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command instructs the Cache Manager to display both types of messages: % fs messages -show all PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be logged in as the local superuser root. SEE ALSO
afsd(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_MESSAGES(1)