Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting print the next line by searching with different patterns Post 302626247 by itkamaraj on Thursday 19th of April 2012 05:31:12 AM
Old 04-19-2012
if your fgrep supports -A option, then

Code:

fgrep -f values.txt -A 2 sample.xml

your awk command correction

Code:
awk -v l="$line" '$0~l{print;getline; print}' sample.xml

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching for two or more patterns in a line

how can I search for two or more patterns in one line using grep? for example if I want to show only the lines that have patterns "abc" and "123"? and what if I want to show only the lines that have either "abc" or "123" in them? any hint apprecited (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: metalwarrior
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching patterns in 1 file and deleting all lines with those patterns in 2nd file

Hi Gurus, I have a file say for ex. file1 which has 3500 lines in it which are different account numbers and another file (file2) which has 230000 lines in it. I want to read all the lines in file1 and delete all those lines from file2 which has that same pattern as in file1. I am not quite... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching multiple patterns in perl

Hi, I have code like: Output it is comming as: Rels: WM2 Rels: WG2 Rels: 5 - pre/prods.pl Rels: 6 Rels: 7 Rels: 8 Rels: 10 Rels: Int But i want only "Rels: 5" pattern Just above "- pre/prods.pl". By... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match multiple patterns in a file and then print their respective next line

Dear all, I need to search multiple patterns and then I need to print their respective next lines. For an example, in the below table, I will look for 3 different patterns : 1) # ATC_Codes: 2) # Generic_Name: 3) # Drug_Target_1_Gene_Name: #BEGIN_DRUGCARD DB00001 # AHFS_Codes:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the next line by searching with different patterns in AIX server?

Hi, I am having an '.xml' file with 'n' number of lines and also having another file with '.txt' format contains values which i want to search. Now I want to print the next line with the pattern which i am searching in '.xml' file. And the loop has to repeat for different patterns which are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tejastrikez
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print mutliple patterns in a line using sed

Hi, I am trying to print multiple patterns in a line using sed. But it is printing only the last occurance of a pattern. If the line is the the output should be Lookup Procedure|Stored proc But the output I am getting is Stored proc The code I am using is echo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedar_laveti
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print line between two patterns when a certain pattern matched

Hello Friends, I need to print lines in between two string when a keyword existed in those lines (keywords like exception, error, failed, not started etc). for example, input: .. Begin Edr ab12 ac13 ad14 bc23 exception occured bd24 cd34 dd44 ee55 ff66 End Edr (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find matched patterns and print them with other patterns not the whole line

Hi, I am trying to extract some patterns from a line. The input file is space delimited and i could not use column to get value after "IN" or "OUT" patterns as there could be multiple white spaces before the next digits that i need to print in the output file . I need to print 3 patterns in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print line if two lines above it matches patterns.?

Hi, I could only find examples to print line before/after a match, but I'd need to print line after two separate lines matching. E.g.: From the below log entry, I would need to print out the 1234. This is from a huge log file, that has a lot of entries with "CLIENT" and "No" entries (+ other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juha
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print two matched patterns only from each line?

My input looks like this. # Lot Of CODE Before AppType_somethinglese=$(cat << EOF AppType_test1='test-tool/blatest-tool-ear' AppType_test2='test/blabla-ear' # Lot Of CODE After I want to print text betwen 1) _ and = and 2)/ and ' from each line and exclude lines with "EOF". Output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
2 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)