Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk syntax(partial) in variable Post 302626153 by Peasant on Thursday 19th of April 2012 03:05:24 AM
Old 04-19-2012
As far as i know you cannot assign variables in such fashion.

Correct syntax would be :
Code:
awk 'BEGIN {a=100} $1>100 { print $1 } $1<=100 { print $1 " lower then 100" }'

or using conditional operator ..
Code:
awk ' {a=100; print ( $1 > a ) ? $1 : $1" lower then 100" }' input

Perhaps you require a function ?
Code:
function testme (field,num)
{
	print ( field > num ) ? field : field " is less then " num
}
{
testme ($1,100)
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk partial match and filter records

Hi, I am having file which contains around 15 columns, i need to fetch column 3,12,14 based on the condition that column 3 starts with 40464 this is the sample data how to achieve that (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Partial average of a column with awk

Hello, Let's assume I have 100 files FILE_${m} (0<m<101). Each of them contains 100 lines and 10 columns. I'd like to get in a file called "result" the average value of column 3, ONLY between lines 11 and 17, in order to plot that average as a function of the parameter m. So far I can compute... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DMini
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - Print partial line/partial field

Hello, this is probably a simple request but I've been toying with it for a while. I have a large list of devices and commands that were run with a script, now I have lines such as: a-router-hostname-C#show ver I want to print everything up to (and excluding) the # and everything after it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ippy98
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed to extract column bases on partial match

Hi I have a log file which has outputs like the one below conn=24,196 op=1 RESULT err=0 tag=0 nentries=9 etime=3,712 dbtime=0 mem=486,183,328/2,147,483,648 Now most of the time I am only interested in the time ( the first column) and a column that begins with etime i.e... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkabali
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk and accessing variable values within the syntax

I'm writing a bash script, and I am having trouble with this line: awk '{print "url = \"http://www.example.com/directory/$type/"$1"\""}' input.file > output.file Within the URL being printed, I wish the value of the variable "$type" to be printed, after being read from user input from the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meridionaljet
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk if one liner syntax for equating with a string variable

I would like to have help with syntax for using a string varaibles inside if and else in a awk one liner. Eg. I would like to say, list all the filenames that have been modified in a particular month(present in a string variable) or list all the filenames whose owner is $owns and owner group is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prev
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cleaner way to use shell variable in awk /X/,/Y/ syntax?

$ cat data Do NOT print me START_MARKER Print Me END_MARKER Do NOT print me $ cat awk.sh start=START_MARKER end=END_MARKER echo; echo Is this ugly syntax the only way? awk '/'"$start"'/,/'"$end"'/ { print }' data echo; echo Is there some modification of this that would work? awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanson44
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Partial variable substitution in script

I have a script. filecreatenew () { touch /usr/src/$1_newfile.txt var=$1 echo $var touch /usr/src/$var_newfile_with_var.txt } filecreatenew myfile Its creating file /usr/src/myfile_newfile.txt as the variable $1 is correctly used. When $ is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk partial string match and add specific fields

Trying to combine strings that are a partial match to another in $1 (usually below it). If a match is found than the $2 value is added to the $2 value of the match and the $3 value is added to the $3 value of the match. I am not sure how to do this and need some expert help. Thank you :). file ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk unique count of partial match with semi-colon

Trying to get the unique count of the below input, but if the text in beginning of $5 is a partial match to another line in the file then it is not unique. awk awk '!seen++ {n++} END {print n}' input 7 input chr1 159174749 159174770 chr1:159174749-159174770 ACKR1 chr1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)