Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Absolute and maximum
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Absolute and maximum Post 302626121 by cosmologist on Thursday 19th of April 2012 01:21:18 AM
Old 04-19-2012
Absolute and maximum

I have a big file with 127 columns and 869 rows. What I am trying to do is to get the absolute value of all numbers in the file, and then get the maximum of each column.

If this was for one column it wouldn't be a problem, I would use:

Code:
awk '{ print ($1 >= 0) ? $1 : 0 - $1}' file > out1
sort -n out1 > out2
tail out2> out3

But I don't know how could this be done in a larger file. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by cosmologist; 04-19-2012 at 02:21 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting absolute value ksh

Hi, I am trying to find out how to get an absolute value for integer in ksh. I tried using abs... but that doesn't work ! this is the workaround I did, but isn't there an inbuilt function to get absolute value for any variable ! Please help as i am new to unix :confused: Thanks, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: icyhot
3 Replies

2. Programming

absolute path

How to find out the absolute path of a file in C/C++? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: filedeliver
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

get absolute filename

How would I get the absolute filename of a selected file...I want to control click...I already have the context menu all set to run a script...I just need to be able to get the file name of the file I control clicked on. In windows it is as follows: set filename=%~f1 set name=%~n1 set... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mainegate
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

absolute path

is cd ~ considered an absolute path? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kirichiko
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Absolute value

Is there a function in awk to get the absolute value of a-b which can be negative or positive, I just care for the absolute value... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: placroix1
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

absolute value

is there any function in unix which will convert a integer to absolute value with a single decimal point. suppose x=15232 y=x/1024=14.875 i want y to be 14.8 Similarly if y=6.29452 it should come as 6.3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

absolute sum

Hi, i want to caluculate sum and absolute sum information of the 2nd column. sum(abs(ENO)),sum(ENO) file1 contains the employee information. "abc","+10000.00","100" "bbc","-3000.00","400" "cbc","+20000.90","500" "dbc","-4000.00","600" output should get this Sum(abs(eno)) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort by absolute value

Hi, I have a file as follows: |-30.0|Appls. executing in db manager currently = 2 |-80.0|Locks held currently = 1 | 90.0|High water mark (bytes) = 65536 |-50.0|Configured size (bytes) = 16777216 |-100.0|Current size (bytes) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudvishw
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Absolute value function

None know if exists a function/command that get the absolute value for a number? Thanks:) (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steph85
14 Replies
XML::Filter::SAXT(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      XML::Filter::SAXT(3)

NAME
XML::Filter::SAXT - Replicates SAX events to several SAX event handlers SYNOPSIS
$saxt = new XML::Filter::SAXT ( { Handler => $out1 }, { DocumentHandler => $out2 }, { DTDHandler => $out3, Handler => $out4 } ); $perlsax = new XML::Parser::PerlSAX ( Handler => $saxt ); $perlsax->parse ( [OPTIONS] ); DESCRIPTION
SAXT is like the Unix 'tee' command in that it multiplexes the input stream to several output streams. In this case, the input stream is a PerlSAX event producer (like XML::Parser::PerlSAX) and the output streams are PerlSAX handlers or filters. The SAXT constructor takes a list of hash references. Each hash specifies an output handler. The hash keys can be: DocumentHandler, DTDHan- dler, EntityResolver or Handler, where Handler is a combination of the previous three and acts as the default handler. E.g. if Documen- tHandler is not specified, it will try to use Handler. EXAMPLE In this example we use XML::Parser::PerlSAX to parse an XML file and to invoke the PerlSAX callbacks of our SAXT object. The SAXT object then forwards the callbacks to XML::Checker, which will 'die' if it encounters an error, and to XML::Hqandler::BuildDOM, which will store the XML in an XML::DOM::Document. use XML::Parser::PerlSAX; use XML::Filter::SAXT; use XML::Handler::BuildDOM; use XML::Checker; my $checker = new XML::Checker; my $builder = new XML::Handler::BuildDOM (KeepCDATA => 1); my $tee = new XML::Filter::SAXT ( { Handler => $checker }, { Handler => $builder } ); my $parser = new XML::Parser::PerlSAX (Handler => $tee); eval { # This is how you set the error handler for XML::Checker local $XML::Checker::FAIL = &my_fail; my $dom_document = $parser->parsefile ("file.xml"); ... your code here ... }; if ($@) { # Either XML::Parser::PerlSAX threw an exception (bad XML) # or XML::Checker found an error and my_fail died. ... your error handling code here ... } # XML::Checker error handler sub my_fail { my $code = shift; die XML::Checker::error_string ($code, @_) if $code < 200; # warnings and info messages are >= 200 } CAVEATS
This is still alpha software. Package names and interfaces are subject to change. AUTHOR
Send bug reports, hints, tips, suggestions to Enno Derksen at <enno@att.com>. perl v5.8.0 2000-02-11 XML::Filter::SAXT(3)