Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian Bash script to STOP installation 'if' a file exists... Post 302625981 by gary_w on Wednesday 18th of April 2012 03:52:13 PM
Old 04-18-2012
Here's a simple example but understand testing for size also tests for file existence. use "-f" to just test if a file exists.
Code:
#!/bin/bash

if [ -s testfilename ]; then
  echo "Exists and has size"
else
  echo "Does not exist or has no size"
fi

exit 0

Read up on the manual page for test (the '[' character is a shortcut for the test command):
Code:
man test

Last edited by gary_w; 04-18-2012 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: edit to work in bash

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check File Exists and compare to previous day file script

We have data files that are ftp'd every morning to a SUN server. The file names are exactly the same except for that each has the date included in its name. I have to write script to do 2 things: STEP 1) Verify that the file arrived in morning. STEP 2) Compare the file size of the current... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbknisely
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script quesiton - if any file exists then ...

I'd like a bash script to simply check to see if any file/files are present in a source directory, and if so move it/them to a target directory. I have this but it doesn't work: #!/bin/bash if then mv /source/* /target fi What is the right syntax? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: graysky
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash interactive installation script

Hi, for an exercise I need to write a script that will ask the user about each package in a (local) repository and install it or not according to the user's input. I am fairly new to scripting, so I did not get very far. Here is what I came up with. I really appreciate your help. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Softsmid
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check if file exists

guys, I am trying to write a script that does the following: it looks for a file in a specific directory and if the file is not there (NOT), it emails me. I have tried the following but its not working. It simply hangs up. Please help. if then mail -s 'blah blah blah' my email... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: basisvasis
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check for the file existence, if file exists it should echo the no of modified days

Hi, I am looking for a shell script with the following. 1. It should check whether a particular file exists in a location #!/bin/sh if ; then echo "xxx.txt File Exists" else echo "File Not Found" fi 2. If file exists, it should check for the modified date and run a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikeyan_mac
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check file exists

Hi, I am trying to write a script which checks if any file exists with "*.log" or "*.out" in Directory below is the code #------------------ path=/abd/xyz/ if ; then echo "Good" else echo "Failure" fi #-------------------------- its always going to else part and printing... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ch33ry
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: check if file exists(without using if)

basically im trying to make this work in a bash shell script without using if statements if then echo testfile exists! fi what it does is check if the file exists or not i have this line but its not working, it checks if the testfile exists if it doesnt it 2> to the dev null... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gangsta
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script - sftpbatchfile - stop on failure

Hello all, I am currently writing a script to send files to a server over sftp. When the sftp put command succeeds it wil preform a local move from within the sftp shell to another folder (this is done so when the script is rerun no doubles will be sent). therefore i had following sollution ... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kerberos
32 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Script that, if file exists in Samba share, moves file to Unix server

I'm looking to do pretty much what the title says. I want a script that runs, it can run on Unix or Windows, doesn't matter, and searches a Samba shares for a .txt file. If the file exists, the script will move (or possibly copy) the file from the Samba share into a directory on our Unix... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: twcostello
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Problem bash if file exists then < do...> else <do...>

Hi ! I have a problem with an if/else statement in bash. I want to check if the file exists before running a task (for example here, counting lines), and if not I need to create an empty output file if then wc -l input.tab > output.temp else >output.temp fi The problem is even if the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
2 Replies
Test::Object(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Test::Object(3pm)

NAME
Test::Object - Thoroughly testing objects via registered handlers SYNOPSIS
################################################################### # In your test module, register test handlers again class names # ################################################################### package My::ModuleTester; use Test::More; use Test::Object; # Foo::Bar is a subclass of Foo Test::Object->register( class => 'Foo', tests => 5, code => &foo_ok, ); Test::Object->register( class => 'Foo::Bar', # No fixed number of tests code => &foobar_ok, ); sub foo_ok { my $object = shift; ok( $object->foo, '->foo returns true' ); } sub foobar_ok { my $object = shift; is( $object->foo, 'bar', '->foo returns "bar"' ); } 1; ################################################################### # In test script, test object against all registered classes # ################################################################### #!/usr/bin/perl -w use Test::More 'no_plan'; use Test::Object; use My::ModuleTester; my $object = Foo::Bar->new; isa_ok( $object, 'Foo::Bar' ); object_ok( $object ); DESCRIPTION
In situations where you have deep trees of classes, there is a common situation in which you test a module 4 or 5 subclasses down, which should follow the correct behaviour of not just the subclass, but of all the parent classes. This should be done to ensure that the implementation of a subclass has not somehow "broken" the object's behaviour in a more general sense. "Test::Object" is a testing package designed to allow you to easily test what you believe is a valid object against the expected behaviour of all of the classes in its inheritance tree in one single call. To do this, you "register" tests (in the form of CODE or function references) with "Test::Object", with each test associated with a partic- ular class. When you call "object_ok" in your test script, "Test::Object" will check the object against all registered tests. For each class that your object responds to "$object->isa($class)" for, the appropriate testing function will be called. Doing it this way allows adapter objects and other things that respond to "isa" differently that the default to still be tested against the classes that it is advertising itself as correctly. This also means that more than one test might be "counted" for each call to "object_ok". You should account for this correctly in your expected test count. SUPPORT
Bugs should be submitted via the CPAN bug tracker, located at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Object> For other issues, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <cpan@ali.as> SEE ALSO
<http://ali.as/>, Test::More, Test::Builder::Tester, Test::Class COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2005, 2006 Adam Kennedy. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.8.8 2006-09-06 Test::Object(3pm)