Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian Bash script to STOP installation 'if' a file exists... Post 302625973 by thazsar on Wednesday 18th of April 2012 03:43:20 PM
Old 04-18-2012
Bash script to STOP installation 'if' a file exists...

Hey all,

Here's my dilemma:

1. I'm a newbie at scripting!
2. I need to create a script that checks: If a file size is equal to zero, then stop the installation.

Is there a way to do this or am I wasting my time???

Thanx in advance! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check File Exists and compare to previous day file script

We have data files that are ftp'd every morning to a SUN server. The file names are exactly the same except for that each has the date included in its name. I have to write script to do 2 things: STEP 1) Verify that the file arrived in morning. STEP 2) Compare the file size of the current... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbknisely
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script quesiton - if any file exists then ...

I'd like a bash script to simply check to see if any file/files are present in a source directory, and if so move it/them to a target directory. I have this but it doesn't work: #!/bin/bash if then mv /source/* /target fi What is the right syntax? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: graysky
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash interactive installation script

Hi, for an exercise I need to write a script that will ask the user about each package in a (local) repository and install it or not according to the user's input. I am fairly new to scripting, so I did not get very far. Here is what I came up with. I really appreciate your help. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Softsmid
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check if file exists

guys, I am trying to write a script that does the following: it looks for a file in a specific directory and if the file is not there (NOT), it emails me. I have tried the following but its not working. It simply hangs up. Please help. if then mail -s 'blah blah blah' my email... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: basisvasis
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check for the file existence, if file exists it should echo the no of modified days

Hi, I am looking for a shell script with the following. 1. It should check whether a particular file exists in a location #!/bin/sh if ; then echo "xxx.txt File Exists" else echo "File Not Found" fi 2. If file exists, it should check for the modified date and run a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikeyan_mac
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check file exists

Hi, I am trying to write a script which checks if any file exists with "*.log" or "*.out" in Directory below is the code #------------------ path=/abd/xyz/ if ; then echo "Good" else echo "Failure" fi #-------------------------- its always going to else part and printing... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ch33ry
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: check if file exists(without using if)

basically im trying to make this work in a bash shell script without using if statements if then echo testfile exists! fi what it does is check if the file exists or not i have this line but its not working, it checks if the testfile exists if it doesnt it 2> to the dev null... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gangsta
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script - sftpbatchfile - stop on failure

Hello all, I am currently writing a script to send files to a server over sftp. When the sftp put command succeeds it wil preform a local move from within the sftp shell to another folder (this is done so when the script is rerun no doubles will be sent). therefore i had following sollution ... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kerberos
32 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Script that, if file exists in Samba share, moves file to Unix server

I'm looking to do pretty much what the title says. I want a script that runs, it can run on Unix or Windows, doesn't matter, and searches a Samba shares for a .txt file. If the file exists, the script will move (or possibly copy) the file from the Samba share into a directory on our Unix... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: twcostello
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Problem bash if file exists then < do...> else <do...>

Hi ! I have a problem with an if/else statement in bash. I want to check if the file exists before running a task (for example here, counting lines), and if not I need to create an empty output file if then wc -l input.tab > output.temp else >output.temp fi The problem is even if the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
2 Replies
DH_SYSTEMD_START(1)						     Debhelper						       DH_SYSTEMD_START(1)

NAME
dh_systemd_start - start/stop/restart systemd unit files SYNOPSIS
dh_systemd_start [debhelperoptions] [--restart-after-upgrade] [--no-stop-on-upgrade] [unitfile...] DESCRIPTION
dh_systemd_start is a debhelper program that is responsible for starting/stopping or restarting systemd unit files in case no corresponding sysv init script is available. As with dh_installinit, the unit file is stopped before upgrades and started afterwards (unless --restart-after-upgrade is specified, in which case it will only be restarted after the upgrade). This logic is not used when there is a corresponding SysV init script because invoke-rc.d performs the stop/start/restart in that case. OPTIONS
--restart-after-upgrade Do not stop the unit file until after the package upgrade has been completed. This is the default behaviour in compat 10. In earlier compat levels the default was to stop the unit file in the prerm, and start it again in the postinst. This can be useful for daemons that should not have a possibly long downtime during upgrade. But you should make sure that the daemon will not get confused by the package being upgraded while it's running before using this option. --no-restart-after-upgrade Undo a previous --restart-after-upgrade (or the default of compat 10). If no other options are given, this will cause the service to be stopped in the prerm script and started again in the postinst script. -r, --no-stop-on-upgrade, --no-restart-on-upgrade Do not stop service on upgrade. --no-start Do not start the unit file after upgrades and after initial installation (the latter is only relevant for services without a corresponding init script). NOTES
Note that this command is not idempotent. dh_prep(1) should be called between invocations of this command (with the same arguments). Otherwise, it may cause multiple instances of the same text to be added to maintainer scripts. Note that dh_systemd_start should be run after dh_installinit so that it can detect corresponding SysV init scripts. The default sequence in dh does the right thing, this note is only relevant when you are calling dh_systemd_start manually. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) AUTHORS
pkg-systemd-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_SYSTEMD_START(1)