Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove newline character or join the broken record Post 302625809 by chidori on Wednesday 18th of April 2012 10:25:41 AM
Old 04-18-2012
I am trying to understand this code. please help

I have removed the next statement and trying to understand how the code works.. below i have given i how i have understood this code. please correct me if i am wrong.

Code:
bash-3.00# awk '/{}$/{print}{printf "%s ",$0;}' test.txt

1[|]2[|]3[|]4[|]5[|]6[|]7 [|]a[|]b[|]c[|]d{}
[|]a[|]b[|]c[|]d{} 1[|]2[|]3[|]4[|]sss[|]ss as6[|]7 [|]a[|]b[|]c[|]d{}
[|]a[|]b[|]c[|]d{} 1[|]2[|]dsad3[|]dad 4[|]sdad5[|]6[|]7 [|]a[|]b[|dsad]c[|]dsadd{}
[|]a[|]b[|dsad]c[|]dsadd{}

so here the pattern statement is /{}$/
the action statement is {print} ( This print statement will execute if the pattern matched successfully. else this wont executed )
{printf "%s ",$0;} ( This statement will execute throught the script. it doesnt come under any condition )

Code:
line 1 : 1[|]2[|]3[|]4[|]5[|]6[|]7

the pattern {}$ doesnt match this line so the {print} statement doesnt execute.
But the {printf "%s ",$0;} executes and prints the same line1 as thats the current record in processing.

Now the first line has been read and awk moves on to the next line

Code:
line 2 : [|]a[|]b[|]c[|]d{}

the pattern {}$ does match and {print} statement gets executed.

Now awk should again print the line 2 as there is {printf "%s ",$0;} right ? how does it move to next record ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove a newline character at the end of filename

Hi All, I have named a file with current date,time and year as follows: month=`date | awk '{print $2}'` date=`date | awk '{print $3}'` year=`date | awk '{print $6}'` time=`date +%Hh_%Mm_%Ss'` filename="test_"$month"_"$date"_"$year"_"$time".txt" > $filename The file is created with a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To remove the newline character while appending into a file

Hi All, We append the output of a file's size in a file. But a newline character is appended after the variable. Pls help how to clear this. filesize=`ls -l test.txt | awk `{print $5}'` echo File size of test.txt is $filesize bytes >> logfile.txt The output we got is, File size of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove newline character conditionally

Hi All, I have 5000 records like this Request_id|Type|Status|Priority|Ticket Submitted Date and Time|Actual Resolved Date and Time|Current Ticket Owner Group|Case final Ticket Owner Group|Customer Severity|Reported Symptom/Request|Component|Hot Topic|Reason for Missed SLA|Current Ticket... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_53933
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove newline chars in each record of file

Hi, I have a fixed width file with record length 10. I need to remove multiple newline characters present in each record. EX: af\n72/7\n s\n3\nad\n 2\n\n33r\n In the above file I want to remove new lines in red color(\n) but not (\n) Please provide me a solution. Thanks, Sri (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

any savant ? using AWK/SED to remove newline character between two strings : conditional removal

I'd like to remove (do a pattern or precise replacement - this I can handle in SED using Regex ) ---AFTER THE 1ST Occurrence ( i.e. on the 2nd occurrence - from the 2nd to fourth occurance ) of a specific string : type 1 -- After the 1st occurrence of 1 string1 till the 1st occurrence of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sieger007
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove \n <newline> character inside the records.

Hi, In my file, I have '\n' characters inside a single record. Because of this, a single records appears in many lines and looks like multiple records. In the below file. File 1 ==== 1,nmae,lctn,da\n t 2,ghjik,o\n ut,de\n fk Expected output after the \n removed File 2 =====... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove newline character between two delimiters

hi i am having delimited .dat file having content like below. test.dat(5 line of records) ====== PT2~Stag~Pt2 Stag Test. Updated~PT2 S T~Area~~UNCEF R20~~2012-05-24 ~2014-05-24~~ PT2~Stag y~Pt2 Stag Test. Updated~PT2 S T~Area~METR~~~2012-05-24~2014-05-24~~test PT2~Pt2 Stag Test~~PT2 S... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushine11
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last newline character..

Hi all.. I have a text file which looks like below: abcd efgh ijkl (blank space) I need to remove only the last (blank space) from the file. When I try wc -l the file name,the number of lines coming is 3 only, however blank space is there in the file. I have tried options like... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sathya83aa
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline character if it is the only character in the entire file.?

I have a file which comes every day and the file data look's as below. Vi abc.txt a|b|c|d\n a|g|h|j\n Some times we receive the file with only a new line character in the file like vi abc.txt \n (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rak Kundra
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove newline character from column spread over multiple lines in a file

Hi, I came across one issue recently where output from one of the columns of the table from where i am creating input file has newline characters hence, record in the file is spread over multiple lines. Fields in the file are separated by pipe (|) delimiter. As header will never have newline... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
4 Replies
GETDELIM(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					       GETDELIM(3)

NAME
getdelim, getline -- read a delimited record from a stream LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> ssize_t getdelim(char ** restrict lineptr, size_t * restrict n, int delimiter, FILE * restrict stream); ssize_t getline(char ** restrict lineptr, size_t * restrict n, FILE * restrict stream); DESCRIPTION
The getdelim() function reads from the stream until it encounters a character matching delimiter, storing the input in *lineptr. The buffer is NUL-terminated and includes the delimiter. The delimiter character must be representable as an unsigned char. If *n is non-zero, then *lineptr must be pre-allocated to at least *n bytes. The buffer should be allocated dynamically; it must be possible to free(3) *lineptr. getdelim() ensures that *lineptr is large enough to hold the input, updating *n to reflect the new size. The getline() function is equivalent to getdelim() with delimiter set to the newline character. RETURN VALUES
The getdelim() and getline() functions return the number of characters read, including the delimiter. If no characters were read and the stream is at end-of-file, the functions return -1. If an error occurs, the functions return -1 and the global variable errno is set to indi- cate the error. The functions do not distinguish between end-of-file and error, and callers must use feof(3) and ferror(3) to determine which occurred. EXAMPLES
The following code fragment reads lines from a file and writes them to standard output. char *line = NULL; size_t linesize = 0; ssize_t linelen; while ((linelen = getline(&line, &linesize, fp)) != -1) fwrite(line, linelen, 1, stdout); if (ferror(fp)) perror("getline"); ERRORS
[EINVAL] lineptr or n is a NULL pointer. [EOVERFLOW] More than SSIZE_MAX characters were read without encountering the delimiter. The getdelim() and getline() functions may also fail and set errno for any of the errors specified in the routines fflush(3), malloc(3), read(2), stat(2), or realloc(3). SEE ALSO
ferror(3), fgets(3), fopen(3) STANDARDS
The getdelim() and getline() functions conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-2008 (``POSIX.1''). BSD
June 30, 2010 BSD