Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to search directory for specific file? Post 302625799 by Mustafa19804 on Wednesday 18th of April 2012 09:56:38 AM
Old 04-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutronscott
What shell, which OS?
ksh shell on Solaris box. Does that help? I am all new to the unix world

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux shortcutkey to search specific file from a list of directory?!

Hi, I'm the new user of linux/unix. Can I ask that anybody know how to use the linux/unix shortcut key to search a specific file from a list of directory? For example, I know the file name that I want to search. But I forget which directory or location is my desired file put.Got any shortcut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a file in specific directory

I have to search a file in a prticular directory. filename will be passed through command line. The directory may contain subdirectory. i.e. suppose directory in /u03/appl (it can hard coded in script). This directory may contain subdirectory. $ scriptname.sh filename output should be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jadoo_c2
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search all the files in a directory for a specific string

Hi Guys, I want to search the content of all the files (of a particular type like .txt) in a directory for a specific string pattern. Can anyone help me? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwrg
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

allow user to use sudo cp on a specific directory and only a specific file

Is there a way to allow a user to use sudo cp on a specific directory and only a specific file? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent request to consider:Search specific name in a file and fetch specific entries

Hi all, I have 2 files, One file contain data like this FHIT CS CHRM1 PDE3A PDE3B HSP90AA1 PTK2 HTR1A ESR1 PARP1 PLA2G1B These names are mentioned in the second file(Please see attached second file) as # Drug_Target_X_Gene_Name:(Where X can be any number (1-1000) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manigrover
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search specific name in a file and fetch specific entries

Hi all, I have 2 files, One file contain data like this FHIT CS CHRM1 PDE3A PDE3B HSP90AA1 PTK2 HTR1A ESR1 PARP1 PLA2G1B These names are mentioned in the second file(Please see attached second file) as (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command

I am trying to do the following task : export ENV=aaa export ENV_PATH=$(cd /apps | ls | grep $ENV) However, it's not working. What's the way to change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a specific String in a log file for a specific date range

Hi, I have log file which rolls out every second which is as this. HttpGenRequest - -<!--OXi dbPublish--> <created="2014-03-24 23:45:37" lastMsgId="" requestTime="0.0333"> <response request="getOutcomeDetails" code="114" message="Request found no matching data" debug="" provider="undefined"/>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikprakash
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting-I need a script which should watch a directory for a file with specific directory

I need a script which should watch a directory for a file with specific directory. If it finds a file in directory, it should search for few specific keyword in the file. if the keyword exists, it should trim string from specific column. The file should be moved to another directory and the a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashdeepak
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search in specific directory using find?

Hi, Is there any way to use find command and search only specific subdirectories in a directory. for example /home/d1 /home/d2 /home/d3 i want to search in the following directories /home /home/d1 /home/d2 i do not want the find command to search the /home/d3 directory. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
6 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)