Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting if condition error: integer expression expected Post 302625433 by kashif.live on Tuesday 17th of April 2012 07:12:18 PM
Old 04-17-2012
if condition error: integer expression expected

I am trying to run following condition with both variables having numeric values "1,2,3"

Code:
     if [ '$NEW_STATE' -gt '$OLD_STATE' ];

when i run it i get following error:

Code:
     $NEW_STATE: integer expression expected

Please correct me where I'm doing wrong.

I'm trying to check either New State is greater or Old state. I have also tried "" for variables. but still not working.

Image Image Image

Last edited by methyl; 04-17-2012 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: Closed thread because post contains hidden links

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

integer expression expected error

I'm a beginner so I might make beginner mistakes. I want to count the "#define" directives in every .C file I get the following errors: ./lab1.sh: line 5: ndef: command not found ./lab1.sh: line 6: #!/bin/sh for x in *. do ndef = 'grep -c \#define $x' if ; then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dark_knight
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

integer expression expected error crontab only

I created a bash script that ran fine for awhile on a nightly crontab but then started crashing with commands not found, so I added PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/home/homedir/scripts/myscriptdir export PATH and now I don't get those errors, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display Error [: : integer expression expected

i have lunix 5.4 i make script to tack the export from database 11g by oracle user the oracle sheel is /bin/bash when run this script display this error ./daily_xport_prod: line 36: the daily_xport_prod script #! /bin/sh # ORACLE_HOME=/u01/appl/oracle/product/11.2.0/db_1 export... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_salah
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to shellscripting error: ./emailnotifications.sh: line 43: [: FH: integer expression expected

Hi , I'm a beginner in unix shell scripting need help in rectifying an error Source file :test.txt with Header ------ ----- Trailer ex: FH201010250030170000000000000000 abc def jke abr ded etf FE2 I was validating whether the header begin... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dudd9
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

if script error: integer expression expected

Hi, i am making a simple program with a optional -t as the 3rd parameter. Submit course assignment -t dir In the script, i wrote: #!/bin/bash echo "this is course: ${1}" echo "this is assignment #: ${2}" echo "late? : ${3}" if then echo "this is late" fi but this gives me a :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leonmerc
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected: with regular expression

CA_RELEASE has a value of 6. I need to check if that this is a numeric value. if not error. source $CA_VERSION_DATA if * ] then echo "CA_RELESE $CA_RELEASE is invalid" exit -1 fi + source /etc/ncgl/ca_version_data ++ CA_PRODUCT_ID=samxts ++ CA_RELEASE=6 ++ CA_WEEK_NO=7 ++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkee1985
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error: integer expression expected

root@server01 # df -h | grep /tmp | awk {'print $3}' 252M root@server01 # root@server01 # cat /usr/local/tmpchk.sh #!/bin/sh x=`df -h | grep /tmp | awk {'print $3}'` if ; then rm -fr /tmp/somefolder/ else echo "its small" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Integer expression expected error in script

When i run the following code i get an error that says Integer expression expected! How do i fix this? #!/bin/bash if ;then echo "wrong" exit 1 fi if ;then for i in /dev;do if ;then echo $i ls -l fi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotsos13
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

if condition-integer expression expected

Hi , getting error in below code integer expression expected. its due to floating point. plz help me to solve this ADV1=94.3 Quantity=96.3 if ; then echo "quantity is greter" fi (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting error in bash script; expr $a + 1: integer expression expected

Hi, I am new to shell/bash script. I am trying to run below script #!/bin/bash a=0 b=10 if then echo "a is equal to be" else echo "a is not equal to be" fi MAX=10 while do echo $a a='expr $a + 1' done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mallikgm
1 Replies
IMGSIZER(1)															       IMGSIZER(1)

NAME
imgsizer - automatically splice in height and width params for HTML IMG tags SYNOPSIS
imgsizer [-d file] [--document-root file] [-h file] [--help file] [-n] [--no-overwrite] [HTMLFile] [-v file] [--version] OPTIONS
Display version information and exit. Display usage information. Directory where absolute image filenames (i.e, ones which contain a leading "/") may be found. -n, --no-overwwrite, .SH DESCRIPTION The imgsizer script automates away the tedious task of creating and updating the extension HEIGHT and WIDTH parameters in HTML IMG tags. These parameters help many browsers (including the Netscape/Mozilla family) to multi-thread image loading, instead of having to load images in strict sequence in order to have each one's dimensions available so the next can be placed. This generally allows text on the remainder of the page to load much faster. This script will try create such attributes for any IMG tag that lacks them. It will correct existing HEIGHT and WIDTH tags unless either contains a percent (%) sign, in which case the existing dimensions are presumed to be relative and left unaltered. This script may be called with no arguments. In this mode, it filters HTML presented on stdin to HTML (unaltered except for added or cor- rected HEIGHT and WIDTH attributes) on stdout. If called with file arguments, it will attempt to transform each file in place. Each argu- ment file is not actually modified until the script completes a successful conversion pass. The -d <directory> option sets the DocumentRoot, where images with an absolute filename (i.e., ones which contain a leading "/") may be found. If none is specified, the DocumentRoot defaults to the current working directory. The -n (no-overwrite) opion prevents the program from overwriting existing width and height tags if both are present. Additional options may also be specified in the environmental variable "IMGSIZER". For example, to avoid typing "imgsizer -d /var/www/docs" each time imgsizer is invoked, you might tell sh (or one of its descendants): IMGSIZER="-d /var/www/docs"; export IMGSIZER or, if you use csh: setenv IMGSIZER "-d /var/www/docs" This script is written in Python, and thus requires a Python interpreter on the host system. It also requires either the identify(1) utili- ty distributed in the open-source ImageMagick suite of image-display and manipulation tools, or a modern version of file(1) and rdjpg- com(1). These utilities are used to extract sizes from the images; imgsizer itself has no knowledge of graphics formats. The script will handle any image format known to identify(1) including PNG, GIF, JPEG, XBM, XPM, PostScript, BMP, TIFF, and anything else even remotely likely to show up as an inline image. NOTE
The -q, -l, and -m options of the 1.0 versions are gone. What they used to do has been made unnecessary by smarter logic. BUGS
The code uses regular expressions rather than true HTML/XML parsing. Some perverse but legal constructions, like extraneous space within quoted numeric attributes, will be mangled. AUTHOR
Originally created by Eric S. Raymond <esr@thyrsus.com>. Additional code contributed by Erik Rossen, Michael C. Toren <michael@toren.net>, and others. For updates, see <http://www.catb.org/~esr: http://www.catb.org/~esr> SEE ALSO
identify(1), file(1), rdjpgcom(1). IMGSIZER(1)