Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to search directory for specific file? Post 302625387 by 47shailesh on Tuesday 17th of April 2012 05:02:06 PM
Old 04-17-2012
This is what the above code is doing:
  • Reading filename and retention from a file.
  • Doing a month to day conversion with wrong syntax.
  • Not sure what the use of all_files variable, later checking and storing if the filename is older than retention, which is dependent on incorrect value of period.
  • Then checking if nonempty filename exist greater than retention then store some info in file else store some other info in additional files. Do you need log of what files were deleted ?

There is no code to delete the obsolete file.

Code:
STAT=/prod/STAT/seqfiles
cat /test/mkamal/ret/rulesx.txt | while read name ret_period
do
    period=`echo "30.5 * ${ret_period}" | bc `
    find $STAT -name $name -mtime +"$period" -exec ls {} \;`
done

once the script displays right results replace ls {} with rm {}
This User Gave Thanks to 47shailesh For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux shortcutkey to search specific file from a list of directory?!

Hi, I'm the new user of linux/unix. Can I ask that anybody know how to use the linux/unix shortcut key to search a specific file from a list of directory? For example, I know the file name that I want to search. But I forget which directory or location is my desired file put.Got any shortcut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a file in specific directory

I have to search a file in a prticular directory. filename will be passed through command line. The directory may contain subdirectory. i.e. suppose directory in /u03/appl (it can hard coded in script). This directory may contain subdirectory. $ scriptname.sh filename output should be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jadoo_c2
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search all the files in a directory for a specific string

Hi Guys, I want to search the content of all the files (of a particular type like .txt) in a directory for a specific string pattern. Can anyone help me? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwrg
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

allow user to use sudo cp on a specific directory and only a specific file

Is there a way to allow a user to use sudo cp on a specific directory and only a specific file? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent request to consider:Search specific name in a file and fetch specific entries

Hi all, I have 2 files, One file contain data like this FHIT CS CHRM1 PDE3A PDE3B HSP90AA1 PTK2 HTR1A ESR1 PARP1 PLA2G1B These names are mentioned in the second file(Please see attached second file) as # Drug_Target_X_Gene_Name:(Where X can be any number (1-1000) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manigrover
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search specific name in a file and fetch specific entries

Hi all, I have 2 files, One file contain data like this FHIT CS CHRM1 PDE3A PDE3B HSP90AA1 PTK2 HTR1A ESR1 PARP1 PLA2G1B These names are mentioned in the second file(Please see attached second file) as (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command

I am trying to do the following task : export ENV=aaa export ENV_PATH=$(cd /apps | ls | grep $ENV) However, it's not working. What's the way to change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a specific String in a log file for a specific date range

Hi, I have log file which rolls out every second which is as this. HttpGenRequest - -<!--OXi dbPublish--> <created="2014-03-24 23:45:37" lastMsgId="" requestTime="0.0333"> <response request="getOutcomeDetails" code="114" message="Request found no matching data" debug="" provider="undefined"/>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikprakash
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting-I need a script which should watch a directory for a file with specific directory

I need a script which should watch a directory for a file with specific directory. If it finds a file in directory, it should search for few specific keyword in the file. if the keyword exists, it should trim string from specific column. The file should be moved to another directory and the a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashdeepak
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search in specific directory using find?

Hi, Is there any way to use find command and search only specific subdirectories in a directory. for example /home/d1 /home/d2 /home/d3 i want to search in the following directories /home /home/d1 /home/d2 i do not want the find command to search the /home/d3 directory. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
6 Replies
access(2)							System Calls Manual							 access(2)

NAME
access - Determines the accessibility of a file SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int access ( const char *path, int access_mode) ; STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: access(): XPG4, XPG4-UNIX Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Points to the file pathname. When the path parameter refers to a symbolic link, the access() function returns information about the file pointed to by the symbolic link. Permission to access all components of the path parameter is determined by using a real user ID instead of an effective user ID, and a group access list (including a real group ID) instead of an effective group ID. Specifies the type of access. The bit pattern contained in the access_mode parameter is constructed by a logical OR of the following values: Checks read permission. Checks write permission. Checks execute (search) permission. Checks to see if the file exists. DESCRIPTION
The access() function checks for accessibility of the file specified by a pathname. Only access bits are checked. A directory may be indicated as writable by access(), but an attempt to open it for writing will fail (although files may be created there); a file's access bits may indicate that it is executable, but the execve() function can fail if the file does not contain the proper format. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the access() function returns value of 0 (zero). Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If the access() function fails, access to the file specified by the path parameter is denied and errno may be set to one of the following values: Permission bits of the file mode do not permit the requested access, or search permission is denied on a component of the path pre- fix. The owner of a file has permission checked with respect to the ``owner'' read, write, and execute mode bits, members of the file's group other than the owner have permission checked with respect to the ``group'' mode bits, and all others have permissions checked with respect to the ``other'' mode bits. The path parameter points outside the process' allocated address space. The pathname contains a char- acter with the high-order bit set. An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname. A component of a pathname exceeded PATH_MAX characters, or an entire pathname exceeded NAME_MAX characters. The named file does not exist or is an empty string. A component of the path prefix is not a directory. Write access is requested for a file on a read-only file system. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: chmod(2), stat(2) Standards: standards(5) delim off access(2)