Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to boot a sun Solaris server? Post 302624981 by adilyos on Tuesday 17th of April 2012 06:36:42 AM
Old 04-17-2012
How to boot a sun Solaris server?

Hi everyone,

I have searched on google and sun documentation but it's still not clear for me; how do we boot a sun Solaris server?

I know what to do but only from this step:

1- start /SYS

2- start /SP/console

The system go to to the prompt OK, then we use the BOOT command.

My questions are:

1- what should we do to reach the "start /SYS" step ?

2- what does the system do in each command ?

3- Can anyone explain us the boot procedure from a to z or can anyone give us a helpful links ?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

boot problem in Installation i86 sun solaris

Hello everybody, I installed sun solaris i86 , the programme installation install the "Mini Root" and after that he doing shutdown. the camputer coming up and he can't boot. how i can to resuled this problem ??? Thenk you in advence..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanly
2 Replies

2. Solaris

SUN SOLARIS boot: start daemons

Hi, I have a problem on a Solaris 9 server! After a restart some daemons don't start and I have to start them manually! I thing that everything is ok in the /sbin/rc3 script! And if I run manually the "/etc/init.d/xxx start" the services start without problem. I didn't find anything in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ctap
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Dual boot SOlaris 10 and Windows server 2003

Hi, I am doing a build for dual boot server with Solaris 10 and Win2K3 server. I have the solaris 10 installed already and have to the windows 2003 installation now. Just wanted to know its just running a new 2003 build or anything different. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gunnervarma
12 Replies

4. Solaris

Set up solaris boot server only

Is it possible to set up a boot server only ( no install server ) for booting up the systems from network for recovery purposes ? What are the steps included for it ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Boot server for solaris 10

Can any one give me the steps to configure a temporary boot server .. so that i can boot one of my failing server which does not have cdrom . I do not want to configure full fledge jumpstart box .. i need it just for recovery purpose. And i want to set it up in one of my other servers .. which... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
10 Replies

6. Solaris

Getting Server Model from Sun Solaris

What command to get server model from a solaris 5.10? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryandegreat25
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Sun Blade 150 will not boot off harddrive after install of solaris 10

Hello, I cant get my blade box to boot off the harddrive after installing solaris 10.I can get to a root prompt after issuing "boot cdrom -s".I tried booting off disk0 and disk1,but I get "the file just loaded does not seem to be executable".Thanks for any help.:wall: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chucky
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Backup sun Solaris Server

hello, I need to make a backup for my sever Sun Solaris 10, is there any propositions to realize this , or a control line assembly to have a copy of my server. waiting for your reply thank you in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laila
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Sun Server and Solaris 7 Inquiry

Greetings! Will be firing up the good ole pizza box, soon. Does anyone know if Solaris 7 is still okay to use? Last time I attempted was 2006. Thank you in advance, ControlTomato (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ControlTomato
6 Replies

10. Solaris

I can't boot my Sun T5220 server from cdrom.

hi:) i can't boot my sun server by iso solaris 10 sparc dvd that i did download from oracle site. my hardware is sun T5220. i receive these after running boot cdrom -s : can't read disk lable can't open disk lable package ERROR: boot-read fail whould u help me? Please use CODE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arefdel
1 Replies
SYS(1)							       AFS Command Reference							    SYS(1)

NAME
sys - Reports the compile-time CPU/operating system type SYNOPSIS
sys DESCRIPTION
The sys command displays the string set at compile time that indicates the local machine's CPU/operating system (OS) type, conventionally called the sysname. This string is the default for the value stored in kernel memory. The Cache Manager substitutes this string for the @sys variable which can occur in AFS pathnames; the OpenAFS Quick Start Guide and OpenAFS Administration Guide explain how using @sys can simplify cell configuration. To set a new value in kernel memory, use the fs sysname command. To view the current value set in the kernel, use either fs sysname or livesys. CAUTIONS
You almost always want to use livesys rather than this command. The sys command displays a single value hard-coded at compile time. It does not query the Cache Manager for the current value and it does not report sysname lists. If you have changed the local system type with fs sysname, or if you run a version of sys compiled differently than the Cache Manager running on the system, the value returned will not match the behavior of the Cache Manager. The only reason to use sys is that livesys wasn't available in older versions of AFS. OUTPUT
The machine's system type appears as a text string: I<system_type> EXAMPLES
The following example shows the output produced on a Sun SPARCStation running Solaris 5.7: % sys sun4x_57 PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
fs_sysname(1), livesys(1) The OpenAFS Quick Start Guides at <http://docs.openafs.org/>. The OpenAFS Administration Guide at <http://docs.openafs.org/AdminGuide/>. COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 SYS(1)