Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris visudo: write error: No space left on device Post 302624951 by juan.brein on Tuesday 17th of April 2012 05:10:20 AM
Old 04-17-2012
Hi there,

I think this is because when you create a filesystem by default there is a 5% space reserved only for root. Your / filesystem is now 95% so you reached that limit.

Two options:

- Modify the 5% with tunefs, look for the minfree parameter (only temporary solution). to see the actual value do:

fstyp -v /dev/dsk/<logical device name>

- free some space (Recommended)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

no space left on device

I have a SCO UNIX on my Server. When I last tried to shutdown my system, I got an error message “no space left on device”. Now when I try to boot the system again, I just can't and I get the same error message. Please help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjane
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat: write error: No space left on device

I am trying to create new files under my directory...but i getting the following message... cat: write error: No space left on device How do we handle this error. I am not getting this error when I login as the super user (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: igandu
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No space left on device

hello all, i have a proc binary that we run on unix environment, and it is generating this error '' tstfile(): No space left on device '' can you please assist on how to narrow down the problem? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjdbouk
4 Replies

4. Solaris

No space left on device but free space and inodes are available...

hi guys, me again ;) i recently opened a thread about physical to zone migration. My zone is mounted over a "bigger" LUN (500GB) and step is now to move the old files, from the physical server, to my zone. We are talking about 22mio of files. i used rsync to do that and every time at... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: beta17
8 Replies

5. HP-UX

Received error as Not enough space left on device

Hi Forum, We have observed one problem in one of our HP-UX machines which runs a software which connects the radio frequency scan devices and the scanned information is stored in the database through the same software. This software has thrown an error like "Not enough space left on the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nishant.Jvk
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write to 1 failed [No space left on device]

I am getting error in a shell script having a simple date command. Error is " write to 1 failed ". We saw that /tmp folder was 100% full. When we cleared some space in /tmp folder then script worked fine. Why does date command(or any other command) require space in /tmp folder? Which settings... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahish20
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sed: couldn't write 1378 items to stdout: No space left on device

Hi , In file first line start with "",when trying to remove using sed i am getting the below error .Please advise sed -e 's///g' -e 's/$]//g' segment1.txt >>segment_m1 sed: couldn't write 1378 items to stdout: No space left on device Thanks, Mohan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan705
1 Replies

8. Linux

No space left on device while there is plenty of space available

Hello all posting here after scanning the net and tried most of the things offered still no solution that worked when I do : $ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on footmpfs 7.9G 60K 7.9G 1% /dev tmpfs 7.9G 0 7.9G 0% /dev/shm /dev/da1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Write to 1 failed [No space left on device] Error

Running a installation on Solaris 11 and getting error write to 1 failed If anyone can advise ? ORIGINAL_PATH="${PATH}" # prepend /usr/xpg4/bin to PATH as needed temporaryPath=`expr "${PATH}:" : '\(/usr/xpg4/bin:\)'` if then PATH="/usr/xpg4/bin:${PATH}" seem to have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mpumi
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Sol11 - Error at prompt (no space left on device)

user1@:/$ -ksh: line 3: write to 1 failed user11@:/$ -ksh: line 3: write to 1 failed user1@:/$ -ksh: line 3: write to 1 failed user1@:/$ -ksh: line 3: write to 1 failed user1@:/$ -ksh: line 3: write to 1 failed But theres plenty of space :- user1@:/$ df -kh Filesystem ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
9 Replies
tunefs(1M)						  System Administration Commands						tunefs(1M)

NAME
tunefs - tune an existing UFS file system SYNOPSIS
tunefs [-a maxcontig] [-d rotdelay] [-e maxbpg] [-m minfree] [-o space | time] special | filesystem DESCRIPTION
tunefs is designed to change the dynamic parameters of a file system that affect the layout policies. When using tunefs with filesystem, filesystem must be in /etc/vfstab. The parameters that can be changed are indicated by the options given below. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a maxcontig The maximum number of logical blocks, belonging to one file, that is allocated contiguously. The default is calculated as follows: maxcontig = disk drive maximum transfer size / disk block size If the disk drive's maximum transfer size cannot be determined, the default value for maxcontig is calculated from kernel parameters as follows: If maxphys is less than ufs_maxmaxphys, which is 1 Mbyte, then maxcontig is set to maxphys. Otherwise, maxcontig is set to ufs_maxmax- phys. You can set maxcontig to any positive integer value. The actual value will be the lesser of what has been specified and what the hardware supports. -d rotdelay This parameter is obsolete as of the Solaris 10 release. The value is always set to 0, regardless of the input value. -e maxbpg Indicates the maximum number of contiguous logical blocks any single file can allocate from a cylinder group before it is forced to begin allocating blocks from another cylinder group. Typically this value is set to approximately one quarter of the total contiguous logical blocks in a cylinder group. The intent is to prevent any single file from using up all the blocks in a single cylinder group, thus degrading access times for all files subsequently allocated in that cylinder group. The effect of this limit is to cause big files to do long seeks more frequently than if they were allowed to allocate all the blocks in a cylinder group before seeking elsewhere. For file systems with exclusively large files, this parameter should be set higher. -m minfree Specifies the minimum free space threshold, or the percentage of space held back from normal users. This value can be set to 0. How- ever, up to a factor of three in throughput will be lost over the performance obtained at a 10% threshold. Note: If the value is raised above the current usage level, users will be unable to allocate files until enough files have been deleted to get under the higher threshold. -o space|time The file system can either be instructed to try to minimize the time spent allocating blocks, or to try to minimize the space fragmen- tation on the disk. The default is time. Generally, you should optimize for time unless the file system is over 90% full. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of tunefs when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mkfs_ufs(1M), newfs(1M), attributes(5), largefile(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Dec 2003 tunefs(1M)