Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Booted to old_rootvg
Operating Systems AIX Booted to old_rootvg Post 302624555 by sdiehr00 on Monday 16th of April 2012 11:59:51 AM
Old 04-16-2012
Booted to old_rootvg

Our offshore team tried to do some patching for me over the weekend, and while I'm not completely sure of how we got into this state, I know it started with them forgetting to put the alt_rootvg back to sleep before rebooting the server.

Our process is this: Clone/update_all using alt_diskinstall. Wake up alt_rootvg, do more patching.. put alt_rootvg back to sleep and then reboot.

Since he forgot the step that puts it back to sleep, the system wouldn't boot. And that's where the steps get fuzzy.. I can see where he removed the alt_rootvg disk, cleared it's pvid, etc.

And somehow now, we're left with a system that appears to be up and functional, but it's booted off of old_rootvg. The rootvg is there when you do lsvg, but not when you do lsvg -o. There is also no pv with rootvg on it.

lsps -a returns errors, because there's no active rootvg. I can't reclone, remirror, etc to try all the normal things I would do to get out of this.

How do I get old_rootvg renamed to rootvg?

Code:
# ls -al /dev | grep '17,  1'
brw-------    1 root     system       17,  1 Apr 22 2011  hdisk0
crw-------    2 root     system       17,  1 Apr 22 2011  ipldevice
crw-------    2 root     system       17,  1 Apr 22 2011  rhdisk0

# lspv |grep hdisk0
hdisk0          00f635667efba750                    old_rootvg

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags, thanks!

Last edited by zaxxon; 04-17-2012 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: code tags

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual booted RHL 7.3 with Win XP..

Hello all, I'm a no Linux expert! But I perfectly dual booted Win XP with RHL 7.3 on a hp pavilion notebook (model ze5170). All working fantastic now. But I have a minor problem now. I can't get RHL probe the modem, so could not get the internet connection working. The modem is a Conexant... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishnu
1 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Bush Gets booted!!

EmaBhHJbbes maybe next time they will ask journalists to take off their shoes before going for press conference :D (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
5 Replies

3. Linux

accessing a Debial home doc when booted ob Ubuntu

Sure it's been covered before my key words probably wrong for search, but I have a triple boot operate mostly in Ubuntu and would like to access debian files to see them without re-booting My first post and great to be here Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: worthamtx
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find when is the system last re-booted

Hi, What is the command to find when is the system last re-booted? Appreciate your help in this regard. Regards, Venkatesh. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FNG Question: Test if remote server has booted

Hello again, I have a script on my media server that wakes up my backup server, performs an 'rsync' backup, then shuts the backup server down. Currently, I have it send the Wake on LAN packet, and sleep for 5 minutes, just to give the backup server time to boot (of course it doesn't take that long,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vwgtiturbo
11 Replies

6. Solaris

physical device name when booted different then at ok prompt

Hi all, I am experimenting with solaris. I noticed that when the machine is booted the physical device name of the root device is different then when I am at the ok prompt: # mount | head -1 / on /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0 # ls -l /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deadeyes
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Users get booted

Hello....weird problem but hoping someone can help! Server: PowerEdge 2850 - 8 core - 12gb ram - 32 bit processor OS: Redhat ES 6 Setting: University setting .. use server for Computer Science student accounts (350 users) Every so often the system just boots you, no matter what you are... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: cookdl
14 Replies

8. AIX

Unmirror and machine not booted after restart

My box is aix 5.3, i have done unmirror and restart, machine count't boot up missing disk in sms, BLV, is in hdisk3 when i go through maintenance mode, many command not work such as... bosboot bootlist pls suggest me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reply.ravi
5 Replies
SLEEPCTL(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SLEEPCTL(1)

NAME
sleepctl - enable/disable sleepd SYNOPSIS
sleeptcl [on|off|status] DESCRIPTION
sleepctl allows temporarily disabling of the sleepd(8) daemon, by a regular user. This can be useful when you're in the middle of a long download or compile, and don't want the system going to sleep in the middle. "sleepctl off" makes sleepd not put the system to sleep even if it thinks it is idle. If this command is run more than once, the requests stack up, and a like number of "sleepctl on" commands must be run to re-enable sleeping. This may be useful if multiple automated processes or users use the command. Note that the system may still be put to sleep for other reasons, such as a failing battery. "sleepctl on" re-enables sleeping. If sleeping is re-enabled and sleepd has seen no system activity for some time, and has been prevented from putting the system to sleep, it may put the system to sleep immediatly. "sleepctl status" outputs the current status of sleepd. Note that if the system is forced to sleep by other means, sleepd will not remember what mode it was in when it wakes back up, and will return to the default mode of putting the system to sleep after some amount of inactivity. This is by design, so you may easily and natu- rally undo the effects of a "sleepctl off" without remembering to turn it back on. This program communicates with sleepd by writing to the file /var/run/sleepd.ctl. As such, it needs read/write access to that file. It also needs to run as whatever user sleepd runs as, so it can hup the daemon. EXAMPLES
sleepctl off ; wget http://foo/huge.tgz ; sleepctl on SEE ALSO
sleepd(8) http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/sleepd/ AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> SLEEPCTL(1)