Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Create alias files (not alias commands) Post 302624491 by Alexander4444 on Monday 16th of April 2012 10:46:39 AM
Old 04-16-2012
Great advice:)

That was SUPER helpful! Is there a way to send to resultant alias files to a different directory at the same time? (only in an attempt to not have to have the current as directory the destination of the aliases).

I tried the above with some test files first and that did work!

Trying it with the files I was originally targeting produced: no such file or directory errors and no aliases.

Being more specific, I:

directory_for_aliases
Code:
 $ find /directory/containing/files -name 'expression' -not \
-name 'expression'  -exec bash -c 'ln -s $1 "S{1##*/} alias"' _ {} \;
ln: filename1 alias: No such file or directory
ln: filename2 alias: No such file or directory 

Last edited by vbe; 04-16-2012 at 01:24 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

1 alias 2 commands 1 argument

Hi, i want make 1 alias with two commands include to do two things at the same time like this: ex: do finger and last at the same time with only one word finla or something. Thanks.- /home/seba > finger dustin Login name: dustin In real life: Dustin Feldman Directory:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seba
3 Replies

2. Programming

Create an alias

I want to create an alias that will grep the passwd file for the logged in persons username and then it will return the password file entry. I want to pipe the whoami info to the grep command. I have created the following: % alias whopw grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mozark
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to create a command alias

I want to create a command alias. I know what shell I'm using, I just don't know which file to inter the command alias. When I type "echo $SHELL" the output is as follows: bin/sh If I'm correct, this is the bourne shell. Does anyone know which file to edit in this particular shell? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias commands

how do you alias a command... Like say I wanted kitten to exicute the command whoami. how would I do that? Thank you for your time. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mars8082686
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a alias with an argument

If I want to create an alias called "cdr", and this alias need an argument (for example arg1)followed by "cdr", the result should go to the directory like "/home/ting/arg1/report/logs", the command should look like below, alias cdr arg1 "cd /home/ting/\!$1/report/logs" (not working)::( ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ting123
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to create alias

I am using Solaris 9 machine. I am unable to create any aliases. I gave the following command: alias ls='ls -ltr' It did nt give any errors. But next time, I use ls, it is working simply as ls but not like ls -ltr. I am not having admin permissions. Is it the reason. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mumashankar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to create an ALIAS....

Hi GUYS, I need to create an alias for the the connect statement. I want to replace "CONNECT TO DBNAME" to "CONNECT TO DBNAME user USERID using PASSWORD" I thought i will add an alias in the .profile. But its not working. May be because i am trying to create it for 3 words instead of one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias commands

Is there a way to create alias for commands and store then in a location where a certain group can run them. I also want anybody in that group to be able to add alias. I don't want them to access the /etc/environment or /etc/profile files to do so. If there needs to be a line added in either of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveisme
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create an alias

I want to create an alias cpage4 and create a postscript file For example I want to call cpage4 file.f which creates the file file.ps I have written like this but don't know how to continue alias cpage4 '/usr/bin/mpage -m40 -4AHP- \!* (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a list of files from alias by script

Actually I have many pictures with diferent name and size around 2000, I need generate a copy of them from one list of alias. The structure of the list is something like this: alias_list.txt <01>randomname.png<02> Randomname.png RandoMname.png RandOmname.png RandomnamE.png... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tapiocapioca
6 Replies
update-fonts-alias(8)					      System Manager's Manual					     update-fonts-alias(8)

NAME
update-fonts-alias - compile fonts.alias files SYNOPSIS
update-fonts-alias [OPTION] directory ... DESCRIPTION
update-fonts-alias assembles a fonts.alias file in an X font directory using one or more alias files found in a subdirectory of /etc/X11/fonts/. It is typically invoked only from the post-installation and post-removal scripts of a package containing X Window System fonts that provide aliases for their XLFD names, but may be invoked at any time to reconstruct fonts.alias files. For each directory, which is simply the last component of its path (such as '75dpi' or 'misc'), update-fonts-alias will assemble either /usr/lib/X11/fonts/directory/fonts.alias or /usr/share/fonts/X11/directory/fonts.alias from the files found in /etc/X11/fonts/direc- tory/package.alias. This enables multiple packages to provide aliases for fonts in the same directory. No font package actually provides the fonts.alias file in the X font directory itself, so there is no danger of overwriting one package's aliases with those of another. For instance, the two packages 'xfonts-base' and 'xfonts-base-transcoded' may both install fonts into the directory /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc. They each place their fonts.alias files in /etc/X11/fonts/misc/xfonts-base.alias and /etc/X11/fonts/misc/xfonts-base-transcoded.alias (respectively). update-fonts-alias concatenates these two files (as well as any others that match /etc/X11/fonts/misc/*.alias) into /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.alias. The format of fonts.alias files is described in the mkfontdir(1x) manual page. An example of how to use update-fonts-alias in package maintainer scripts is provided in the Debian Policy Manual. OPTIONS
-h, --help displays a brief usage message and exits. OPERANDS
update-fonts-alias takes one or more X font directory names to operate on as operands. Only the final path component of the directory name should be specified; e.g., update-fonts-alias 75dpi is correct, while 'update-fonts-alias /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi' and 'update-fonts-alias /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi' are not. ENVIRONMENT
COLUMNS indicates the width of the terminal device in character cells. This value is used for formatting diagnostic messages. If not set, the terminal is queried using stty(1) to determine its width. If that fails, a value of '80' is assumed. DIAGNOSTICS
Errors usage error: one or more font directories must be provided update-fonts-alias was invoked without operands. Supply one or more X font directory names to operate on. usage error: unrecognized option update-fonts-alias was invoked with an unrecognized option argument. Use only the options documented in "OPTIONS", above. fatal error: path to X font directory must be used A directory name was supplied that was not an X font directory name. Supply X font directory names only. Warnings warning: absolute path directory was provided Usage of absolute paths is deprecated. Use only the final component of the X font directory name for directory. warning: directory does not exist or is not a directory The supplied directory was invalid. update-fonts-alias skipped it. EXIT STATUS
0 update-fonts-alias ran successfully. 1 update-fonts-alias experienced a fatal error; see the section on diagnostic messages above. 2 update-fonts-alias was invoked with invalid arguments. BUGS
See the Debian Bug Tracking System <http://bugs.debian.org/xfonts-utils>. If you wish to report a bug in update-fonts-alias, please see /usr/share/doc/debian/bug-reporting.txt or the reportbug(1) command. AUTHOR
update-fonts-alias was written by Branden Robinson. SEE ALSO
mkfontdir(1x) Debian Project 2004-11-11 update-fonts-alias(8)