Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Testing the length of a string Post 302623927 by intelinside on Sunday 15th of April 2012 10:21:25 AM
Old 04-15-2012
Testing the length of a string

Hello, Unix-Forums!

Is there a command that can check how long a user-entered string is?

Please don't give me a code, just the name of the command (playing around yourself is much more fun than just pasting code)

edit: I'm sorry, first hit of the forum search gave me the answer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Testing the last character in a string

Hi In the shell scripted I'm trying to write! I would like to test the last character in a string. The string is a path/directory and I want to see if the last character is a '/'. The string (path/directory) is inputted by a user. If the '/' character isn't present then I want to be able to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

length of the string

Hi all, pls help me in finding the length of the given string, do we need to write a code seperately or is there any command?? pls help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read string, check string length and cut

Hello All, Plz help me with: I have a csv file with data separated by ',' and optionally enclosed by "". I want to check each of these values to see if they exceed the specified string length, and if they do I want to cut just that value to the max length allowed and keep the csv format as it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzy80
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

length of string

Hi lets say i have a variable output="string" how can you find the length of the string contained in this variable? i guess "wc" cannot be used. its only for files. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: silas.john
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

testing length

I've never tested file length with shell before and I'm having problems. What I'm doing is testing $filename and $filename.bak to see if there is a difference. so I use 'diff' for that and send it to an output file 'dif.txt'. Now I wanna see if the length of 'dif.txt' is zero or not. that's where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: astonmartin
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help testing for length of variable

Hello, I'm new to shell scripting and need a little help please. I'm working on a script that asks the user to input a name that can be 1 to 12 alphanumeric characters and can have dots(.) dashes(-) and spaces. I want to test that the answer is valid and if not make the user try again. I have no... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wlewis
4 Replies

8. Programming

regarding string length

Helo, I have character array of sixe 128 char filename now I have one problem that when I enter filename as nothing I got value as " " ",`\0` " . when I find this string length ( " ",`\0`) as 1(one). actually I want to make this length as zero. so what should I do (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read a string with leading spaces and find the length of the string

HI In my script, i am reading the input from the user and want to find the length of the string. The input may contain leading spaces. Right now, when leading spaces are there, they are not counted. Kindly help me My script is like below. I am using the ksh. #!/usr/bin/ksh echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dayamatrix
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Testing for non-zero length string

Hello, can someone please explain to me why this happens: myserver#echo "$nothing" myserver#if ; then echo "nothing is a zero length string"; fi nothing is a zero length string myserver#if ; then echo "nothing is also a non-zero length string, apparently"; fi nothing is also a non-zero... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: longjon
5 Replies
ZMORE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZMORE(1)

NAME
zmore - file perusal filter for crt viewing of compressed text SYNOPSIS
zmore [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
Zmore is a filter which allows examination of compressed or plain text files one screenful at a time on a soft-copy terminal. zmore works on files compressed with compress, pack or gzip, and also on uncompressed files. If a file does not exist, zmore looks for a file of the same name with the addition of a .gz, .z or .Z suffix. Zmore normally pauses after each screenful, printing --More-- at the bottom of the screen. If the user then types a carriage return, one more line is displayed. If the user hits a space, another screenful is displayed. Other possibilities are enumerated later. Zmore looks in the file /etc/termcap to determine terminal characteristics, and to determine the default window size. On a terminal capa- ble of displaying 24 lines, the default window size is 22 lines. To use a pager other than the default more, set environment variable PAGER to the name of the desired program, such as less. Other sequences which may be typed when zmore pauses, and their effects, are as follows (i is an optional integer argument, defaulting to 1) : i<space> display i more lines, (or another screenful if no argument is given) ^D display 11 more lines (a ``scroll''). If i is given, then the scroll size is set to i. d same as ^D (control-D) iz same as typing a space except that i, if present, becomes the new window size. is skip i lines and print a screenful of lines if skip i screenfuls and print a screenful of lines q or Q Quit. = Display the current line number. i/expr search for the i-th occurrence of the regular expression expr. The user's erase and kill characters may be used to edit the regular expression. Erasing back past the first column cancels the search command. in search for the i-th occurrence of the last regular expression entered. !command invoke a shell with command. The character `!' in "command" is replaced with the previous shell command. The sequence "!" is replaced by "!". :q or :Q Quit (same as q or Q). . (dot) repeat the previous command. The commands take effect immediately, i.e., it is not necessary to type a carriage return. Up to the time when the command character itself is given, the user may hit the line kill character to cancel the numerical argument being formed. In addition, the user may hit the erase character to redisplay the --More-- message. At any time when output is being sent to the terminal, the user can hit the quit key (normally control-). Zmore will stop sending output, and will display the usual --More-- prompt. The user may then enter one of the above commands in the normal manner. Unfortunately, some output is lost when this is done, due to the fact that any characters waiting in the terminal's output queue are flushed when the quit sig- nal occurs. The terminal is set to noecho mode by this program so that the output can be continuous. What you type will thus not show on your termi- nal, except for the / and ! commands. If the standard output is not a teletype, then zmore acts just like zcat, except that a header is printed before each file if there is more than one file. FILES
/etc/termcap Terminal data base SEE ALSO
more(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zgrep(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzexe(1) ZMORE(1)