Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to read a dynamically changing file Post 302623857 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 15th of April 2012 12:59:32 AM
Old 04-15-2012
I got your point, but you had not posted what you tried up to this point. tail -f cannot be used that way since it is never ending. Try this approach:
Code:
tail -f logfile |
while IFS= read -r line
do
done > test.out

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 04-15-2012 at 02:21 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a dynamically changing file and load into Oracle?

I have a tab delimited file which has 27 character fields. The file needs to be loaded into an Oracle table. But the challenge is that everytime the file comes it may or may not have values in all 27 fields. Column Definition of the 27 fields: TYPE: Char (1) NAME: Char (30) CUSTOM_VAL: Char... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i read array elements dynamically in bash?

Hi friends how can we read array elements dynamically in bash shell? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: haisubbu
1 Replies

3. Programming

read() without changing atime ?

Hey, First of all I want to know How do I see the atime of a file ?? Whats the command ?? I think ls -l shows the last modified time right ? Because when I use cat to read a file, the timestamp shown by ls -l does not change. Its not ls -lu ! man ls did not help ! How do I see the last... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tantric
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with changing directory and subdirectories to read only

I have a directory with its subdirectories and files. I want to change them all to read only. Say it is ~/test chmod -R 444 ~/test chmod: `/home/myname/test': permission denied I do not understand. Do I have to have executable mode for a diirectory to access. How can I change ~/test to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalelle
5 Replies

5. Linux

Changing eth3 to read eth0

Hello everyone I recently clone a system and doing so it gave my nics cards id's of eth3 and eth4 instead of eth0 and eth1. Is there a config file or something out there where I can change these back? All help will be appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aojmoj
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters then read the file without changing it

Hi All At the moment the following code works but ideally i do not want to have to change the original $1 tr "\r" "\n" < "$1" > "$1.fix" printf "\n" >> "$1.fix" mv "$1.fix" "$1" FILE=$1 coffee_out="splitmovie" coffee_fill="-splitAt" coffee_end="-self-contained -o output.mov $2"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: babajuma
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read a file dynamically

Hi my requriment is read the file name dynamically my code is #!/bin/sh file="/c/work/loan/" Header_Trailer_move() { sed '1d;$d' $file| cat >sam.txt } Header_Trailer_move in above given path my list of files or there i have to read file dyanamically when i entered particular file name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgoud
2 Replies

8. Programming

Changing the way arguments are read from program

I have the following piece of code. Currently the command line arguments are passed as shown below using the "= "sign. I capture the name of the argument, for example vmod and it's corresponding user parameter which is jcdint-z30.cmd. ./raytrac vmod=jcdint-z30.cmd srFile=jcdint.sr Now I want... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamically changing environment variable

Linux Redhat, BASH Shell. I want to put this in my .bash_profile I have log files that go to directory paths based in part on other variables such as went DB Name is set in memory. So if the DB Name changes the path to the log file changes. How do I create an environment variable I put into... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
6 Replies
MTAIL(1)							   User Commands							  MTAIL(1)

NAME
mtail - tail variant designed for web developers monitoring logfiles SYNOPSIS
mtail [options] <file>... DESCRIPTION
MonkeyTail allows a user to tail multiple files on both local and remote hosts and clearly marks inactivity by putting 5 newlines in the output whenever a pause in output over 3 seconds is detected. MonkeyTail is implemented a fairly simple wrapper script around standard tail, ssh, and sudo. OPTIONS
-q Quiet mode --quiet " " -n Output the last N lines of each file before tailing (defaults to 0) <file>... Files to tail. These can specified in the following ways: @<groupname> - expands the group (from .mtailrc) to a list of files to tail <filename> - tails a local file. +<filename> - attempts to sudo and tail a local file (will prompt for pwd if required). <remotehost>:<filename> - attempts to invoke tail via ssh on a remote host. +<remotehost>:<filename> - attempts to invoke sudo tail via ssh on a remote host (will prompt for pwd if required). SEE ALSO
mtailrc(5), tail(1) AUTHOR
Martyn Smith <martyn@dollyfish.net.nz> mtail May 2008 MTAIL(1)