Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions problem with printing out variable in awk Post 302623305 by Corona688 on Friday 13th of April 2012 11:37:51 AM
Old 04-13-2012
You don't get shell variables outside of the shell, and awk is not a shell extension. awk is its own, independent, self-contained language.

If you want to insert a variable into awk, you can do so with -v:

Code:
awk -v var="$var" ...

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with formatted printing in AWK

Hi, I want to print 130 fileds using formatted printing in AWK. It looks like awk '{printf ("%7.2f%7.2f...%7.2\n",$1,$2,...,$130)}' inflie>oufile But it gives me an error: Word too long! Can you please help me with this? Is there another way to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PHL
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable problem

Hi How are you people .. I am facing another problem regarding awk below is my code -bash-3.00$ export a=10 -bash-3.00$ echo $a 10 -bash-3.00$ echo "" | nawk -v var=$a ' { if(var=10) { print "abc" } else { print "def"} } ' abc -bash-3.00$ echo "" | nawk -v var=$a ' { if(var==10)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Issues - Not printing the 10th Variable.

All, I am attempting to print the tenth ($COPY2) varaibales into one file. But i am finding that all variables are being outputted except for $10. Can someone help!!!! Code Below ---------- echo $SERVER $IMAGE $IMAGEDAY $IMAGEMONTH $IMAGEYEAR $COPY1 $EXPIREDAY $EXPIREMONTH... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junes
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing a variable column using awk

Hi everyone, Ok here's the scenario. I have a control file like this. component1,file1,file2,file3,file4,file5 component2,file1,file2,file3,file4,file5I want to do a while loop here to read all files for each component. file_count=2 while ] do file_name=`cat list.txt | grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Gamemaster
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using variable inside awk

HI, This is the code I am using: awk -v aaa="connect" 'BEGIN {IGNORECASE} /aaa/,/!/ {print NR}' bb This does not throw any error but it does not work. Pls help Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudvishw
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable substitution problem

Hi I am having a file like this ############################## j=1 while ] do temp_5=MODULE$j awk ' $1 ~ /'${!temp_5}'/ { do something }1' file1 > file2 ((j = j +1 )) done ################### Setting the variables like this (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] printing value of a variable assignment from a file

Heyas Me try to print only the value of a (specific) variable assignment from a file. What i get (1): :) tui $ bin/tui-conf-get ~/.tui_rc TUI_THEME dot-blue "" "$TUI_DIR_INSTALL_ROOT/usr" "$TUI_DIR_INSTALL_ROOT/etc/tui" "$TUI_PREFIX/share/doc/tui" "$TUI_PREFIX/share/tui"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue when printing filename through cygwin using a variable with awk

Hi, If i were to do this an print out the file, it will show as it is in the command $ awk '/Privilege Use/ {P=0} /Object Access/ {P=1} P' AdvancedAudit.txt Object Access File System No Auditing Registry No Auditing Kernel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem printing with awk

Hi, so i have this command: ps axo cmd=,user=,%cpu=,priority= --sort=-%cpu | awk '{print $2}' And i want to print the second column, that is user. The thing is that i dont know why this is my output: root Eskizoi+ Eskizoi+ axo {print I dont know why axo and {print are there, the... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eskizoide
20 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk code to inspect variable before printing

i have a unique scenario id like help with. im currently running this command and it does what i want: printf '%s\n' "${RawContent}" | awk '/## Beginning Stages ##/,/## Ending Stages ##/' | awk '!/^#.*\!|^#\!|DefaultError/' Can this be shortened? I'm looking for something portable as... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
8 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)