Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed to replace a field from a line with another field Post 302623277 by CarloM on Friday 13th of April 2012 10:57:47 AM
Old 04-13-2012
Your sed regular expression is only matching 'ip_address' (with quotes, which won't actually match anything in your input) and not the actual address.

Try:
Code:
sed -i 's/ipaddress="[^"]*"/ipaddress="10.19.123.103"/g' filename.txt

([^"]* matches 0 or more of any character except double-quote)
This User Gave Thanks to CarloM For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace password field using ed/sed

I need to edit the password file to change the password field to *LK* for a specified account (abctest) like: abctest:*LK*:135:20::/home/abctest:/sbin/sh Can anyone help me do this using ed or sed? Thanks a lot! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: munch
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace a field in the last line

I have a file 'test.out' with contents: 1|1|10|10|I|asdf| 2|1|10|10|I|sdfg| 4|1|10|10|I|hgfj| 34|0|10|10|I|sdg| I want to modify the fifth column with value 'I' to 'A' for only the last line. Below is what I expect to see: 1|1|10|10|I|asdf| 2|1|10|10|I|sdfg| ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

howto replace field in line

Hi all, I'm writing a script in bash where i'm reading line by line into variable, and the i want to replace the second filed in the line with another number, for example if the line looks like this: 10 20 30 40 50 it should look like this: 10 90 30 40 50 and put the new result inside... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: morfix
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific field on specific line sed or awk

I'm trying to update a text file via sed/awk, after a lot of searching I still can't find a code snippet that I can get to work. Brief overview: I have user input a line to a variable, I then find a specific value in this line 10th field in this case. After asking for new input and doing some... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: crownedzero
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace line and field using SED and/or AWK or some other suggestion

QUESTION 1: How do you replace a specific line (i.e. line 4) with a new user defined line (i.e. the contents of SAMS’s name, history, math and English grades have been set already). I have been attempting to use SED (FYI: I don’t have GNU SED) or AWK, but haven’t had any luck. FYI: I am using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare Field in Current Line with Field in Previous

Hi Guys I have the following file Essentially, I am trying to find the right awk/sed syntax in order to produce the following 3 distinct files from the file above: Basically, I want to print the lines of the file as long as the second field of the current line is equal to the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: moutaye
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a field with a character as per the field length

Hi all, I have a requirement to replace a field with a character as per the length of the field. Suppose i have a file where second field is of 20 character length. I want to replace second field with 20 stars (*). like ******************** As the field is not a fixed one, i want to do the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gani_85
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a field with line number in file

I am working on a script to convert bank data to a csv file. I have the format done - columns etc. The final piece of the puzzle is to change the second field (after the R) of every line to reflect its' line number in the file. I am stumped. I can use awk on each line but need help looping through... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Melah Gindi
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command/script to match a field and print the next field of each line in a file.

Hello, I have a text file in the below format: Source Destination State Lag Status CQA02W2K12pl:D:\CAQA ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pocodot
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to replace last field in a file,if first field matches

Hi, Need to replace last field in a file(/etc/passwd) ,if first filed matches with particular username. Scenario: cat testfor1 deekshi:x:7082:7082::/home/deekshi:/bin/bash harini1:x:7083:7083::/home/harini1:/bin/bash Here,if first field contains "deekshi", then i should replace... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
4 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)                                                 General Commands Manual                                                ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)