Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to continue shell script execution process without control going to pompt? Post 302622889 by Corona688 on Thursday 12th of April 2012 05:43:40 PM
Old 04-12-2012
It runs it in the background. The script will keep running, but won't wait for that particular program to finish before doing so.

It won't wait for it to connect, either.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 Questions about my process control script

Hi all, My tiny mind is struggling with the following script that shuts down Tomcat on Sol. 8 and kills any defunct processes Tomcat might leave behind (as it so often does). I realize that fixing Tomcat would be best, but this is a band-aid so I won't have to do as much off-hours support of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkaplowitz
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process launched by user who logs out, continue running ?

Lets say a user starts a process (either a shell script or a Perl script) and before that process finishes, he logs out (either intentionaly or network problems or ...), does the process continu running ? Default shell is Korn. This is because at my job (being trained), there are tasks to run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

control over shell script

Hi.. I have a perl program that uses "system" to execute a shell script called startengine. The script "startengine" itself calls a lot of other smaller scripts to setup the engine etc. It finally has to execute ./engine which is another shell script which is long and takes a long time to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JLJ
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - understand process status and continue the code execution

Hello, I need advice on how to check if started processes are finished in perl, here's explanation : OS is RHEL 4, perl -v = "This is perl, v5.8.0 built for i386-linux-thread-multi" The logic of the script : #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; $param1 = $ARGV; $param2 = $ARGV; $param3 =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysgate
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX command to skip any warning messages and continue job execution

Hello All, Good day! This is my first UNIX post. :D Anyways, I would like to seek help from you guys if you know of any UNIX command that will skip a warning message once it is encountered but continue to run the execution. Ok here's the situation in general: An encypted file is sent to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jennah_rekka
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Continue an instruction on more than one line in a script shell ?

Hello, I have a very long instruction to write, but, for lisibility reasons, I would like to cut it on more than one line and comment each lines. is it possible ? thanks :b: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shadok
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Continue Execution Based On List

Hi all. I have a script like this function check_filesize { filesize_1="$(ls -la "$1"|awk '{ print $5 }')" sleep 123 filesize_2="$(ls -la "$1"|awk '{ print $5 }')" if then echo "OK" else echo "NOT OK" sleep 1234 check_filesize $1 fi } function check_TR { chk="$(tail -1 $1|grep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimy
5 Replies

8. Programming

Help needed to Spawn Shell on Python and Continue Execution

def gob(url): print "\n\t Running gobuster on target." params = " -e -s '307,200,204,301,302' -t 20 -u " + url + " >> /tmp/%s/gobuster.txt" % (ip) os.system("xterm -e bash -c "tail -f /tmp/%/gobuster.txt"") for i in bflist: dirbf = "gobuster -w " + i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to continue shell script after exit 0?

Hi, I am writing a shell script where I am sourcing other shell script in that script I have mention exit 0 due to that it is not continue the first script. Except doing any changes to source script is there any way I can continue the my first script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonujatav
3 Replies
Tcl_DetachPids(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures						 Tcl_DetachPids(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_DetachPids, Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs, Tcl_WaitPid - manage child processes in background SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_DetachPids(numPids, pidPtr) Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs() Tcl_Pid Tcl_WaitPid(pid, statusPtr, options) ARGUMENTS
int numPids (in) Number of process ids contained in the array pointed to by pidPtr. int *pidPtr (in) Address of array containing numPids process ids. Tcl_Pid pid (in) The id of the process (pipe) to wait for. int *statusPtr (out) The result of waiting on a process (pipe). Either 0 or ECHILD. int options (in) The options controlling the wait. WNOHANG specifies not to wait when checking the process. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tcl_DetachPids and Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs provide a mechanism for managing subprocesses that are running in background. These procedures are needed because the parent of a process must eventually invoke the waitpid kernel call (or one of a few other similar kernel calls) to wait for the child to exit. Until the parent waits for the child, the child's state cannot be completely reclaimed by the system. If a parent continually creates children and doesn't wait on them, the system's process table will eventually overflow, even if all the children have exited. Tcl_DetachPids may be called to ask Tcl to take responsibility for one or more processes whose process ids are contained in the pidPtr array passed as argument. The caller presumably has started these processes running in background and does not want to have to deal with them again. Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs invokes the waitpid kernel call on each of the background processes so that its state can be cleaned up if it has exited. If the process has not exited yet, Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs does not wait for it to exit; it will check again the next time it is invoked. Tcl automatically calls Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs each time the exec command is executed, so in most cases it is not necessary for any code outside of Tcl to invoke Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs. However, if you call Tcl_DetachPids in situations where the exec command may never get executed, you may wish to call Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs from time to time so that background processes can be cleaned up. Tcl_WaitPid is a thin wrapper around the facilities provided by the operating system to wait on the end of a spawned process and to check a whether spawned process is still running. It is used by Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs and the channel system to portably access the operating sys- tem. KEYWORDS
background, child, detach, process, wait Tcl Tcl_DetachPids(3)