Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Comparing text in 2 files and output difference in another file. Post 302622855 by 47shailesh on Thursday 12th of April 2012 04:38:18 PM
Old 04-12-2012
use
Code:
diff file1 file2 > mismatchfiles

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Columns and printing the difference from a particular file

Gurus, I have one file which is having multiple columns and also this file is not always contain the exact columns; sometimes it contains 5 columns or 12 columns. Now, I need to find the difference from that particular file. Here is the sample file: param1 | 10 | 20 | 30 | param2 | 10 |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: buzzusa
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing to text files

Hi All, I have two files of the following formats file 1 - this is a big file >AB_1 gi|229194403|ref|ZP_04321208.1| group II intron reverse transcriptase/maturase gdfjafhlkhlnlklaklskckcfhhahgfahajfkkallalfafafa >AB_2 gi|229194404|ref|ZP_04321209.1| gfksjgfkjsfjslfslfslhf >AB_3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing in files and output

i have a file a with contents tom lasole jon gille sam and a file b with contents tom|1234|abcf|newyork,ohio,oregon sam|2345|drft|texas,london hyle|4444|befr|wisconsin neyo|2333|tdtt|ohio,jersey i want to compare records in file a to file b such that when the name tom is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dealerso
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing a text file's entries with ps -ef output

Shell : Korn os : AIX This is the ps output looking for a process called pmon. pmon runs with various 'service' names which is appended with an underscore as shown below. For example a pmon process for the service hexjkm will be named ora_pmon_hexjkm $ ps -ef | grep pmon oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kraljic
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing 2 difference csv files

Hello, I have about 10 csv files which range from csv1 - csv10. Each csv file has same type/set of tabs and we have around 5-6 tabs for each of the csv file which have slightly different content(data). A sample of CSV1 is shown below: Joins: Data related to Joins, it can be any number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two text files and output difference

Hi experts, I am trying to compare two text files and output the difference to another file. I'm not strictly looking for differences in text but additional text at the end of one file that isn't in another, so basically comparing the file 2 against file 1 and printing any additional text to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: martin0852
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing 2 CSV files and sending the difference to a new csv file

(say) I have 2 csv files - file1.csv & file2.csv as mentioned below: file1.csv ID,version,cost 1000,1,30 2000,2,40 3000,3,50 4000,4,60 file2.csv ID,version,cost 1000,1,30 2000,2,45 3000,4,55 6000,5,70 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Naresh101
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing 2 text files & downloading a file if the last lines are different

Hello I'm having a little difficulty in writing a shell script for a few simple tasks. First I have two files "file1.txt" and "file2.txt" and I want to read and compare the last line of each file. The files look like this. File1.txt File2.txt After comparing the two lines I would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RustikGaming
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two files with numbers and taking difference in third file

Hi All, I have two files in the following format, with numbers being defined under columns(described by a set of headers) and rows(again defined by a set of identifiers) 2013 2013 Make200 Make201 Merc BMW Jpur Del ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Comparing two files and list the difference with common first line content of both files

I have two file as given below which shows the ACL permissions of each file. I need to compare the source file with target file and list down the difference as specified below in required output. Can someone help me on this ? Source File ************* # file: /local/test_1 # owner: own #... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
4 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - differential file comparator SYNOPSIS
diff [ -efbwr ] file1 ... file2 DESCRIPTION
Diff tells what lines must be changed in two files to bring them into agreement. If one file is a directory, then a file in that directory with basename the same as that of the other file is used. If both files are directories, similarly named files in the two directories are compared by the method of diff for text files and cmp(1) otherwise. If more than two file names are given, then each argument is compared to the last argument as above. The -r option causes diff to process similarly named subdirectories recursively. The normal output con- tains lines of these forms: n1 a n3,n4 n1,n2 d n3 n1,n2 c n3,n4 These lines resemble ed commands to convert file1 into file2. The numbers after the letters pertain to file2. In fact, by exchanging `a' for `d' and reading backward one may ascertain equally how to convert file2 into file1. As in ed, identical pairs where n1 = n2 or n3 = n4 are abbreviated as a single number. Following each of these lines come all the lines that are affected in the first file flagged by `<', then all the lines that are affected in the second file flagged by `>'. The -b option causes trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) to be ignored and other strings of blanks to compare equal. The -w option causes all white-space to be removed from input lines before applying the difference algorithm. The -e option produces a script of a, c and d commands for the editor ed, which will recreate file2 from file1. The -f option produces a similar script, not useful with ed, in the opposite order. It may, however, be useful as input to a stream-oriented post-processor. Except in rare circumstances, diff finds a smallest sufficient set of file differences. FILES
/tmp/diff[12] SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/diff SEE ALSO
cmp(1), ed(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is the empty string for no differences, for some, and for trouble. BUGS
Editing scripts produced under the -e or -f option are naive about creating lines consisting of a single `.'. When running diff on directories, the notion of what is a text file is open to debate. DIFF(1)