Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming open() system call in c++???? Post 302622735 by neutronscott on Thursday 12th of April 2012 02:10:32 PM
Old 04-12-2012
NAME
open, creat - open and possibly create a file or device

SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <fcntl.h>

From the manual, it seems you'd need to include some more headers. open() is the low-level call. fopen() is part of stdio.h. If you'd like to use fopen() you'd use fread(). It's a little different.

Last edited by neutronscott; 04-12-2012 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: info about fread()
This User Gave Thanks to neutronscott For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies

2. Programming

c system call

How the c compiler differentiates the system calls and function calls? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rangaswamy
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

system call

Hi, How to write a system calls in a script ? > cd $HOME > ls -ltr thanks in advance.. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hegdeshashi
10 Replies

4. Programming

C:system call

Hi I'm studing the system call. I've written a small program that return the time spent in doing some operations. Now I'd like to write one that return the time spent in user mode of a process. I'm reading that i should use the tms struct: clock_t times(struct tms *buf); struct tms {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System Call Wrapper of 'open'

When the programmer use 'open' function, the process is like below. "open -> system call wrapper of open in Glibc -> syscall_open in kernel" I found the wrapper of open, but there is no implementation like 'int $80'. int __open (file, oflag) const char *file; int oflag; { ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yuno96
3 Replies

6. Programming

Is there a system call other than 'open' for opening very large files?

Dear all, Inside a C program, I want to open a very big file (about 12 GB) in order to read its content. Here is the code: /* argv contains the path to the file. */ inputFileDescriptor = open(argv, O_RDONLY); if (inputFileDescriptor < 0) { ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
6 Replies

7. Programming

system call

I have a cgi script which is called after certain time interval, which has this: system ("ls -l /tmp/cgic* | grep -v \"cgicsave.env\" | awk '{print $5}'"); During the execution of this script,the output is 0 sometimes. But due to this the system call is not working at all and doesnt o/p... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xs2punit
2 Replies

8. Programming

need help with system call

hi everyone i wrote a system call and compiled the kernel succesfully... my system call is in a file in the kernel folder named my_syscall1.c (kernel/my_syscall1.c) the header file for this system call i added it in the folder include like this include/my_syscall1/my_syscall1.h my problem is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: demis87
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

system call

Trying to figure out a load issue with a webserver. I have traced a php script and noticed the following connect(4, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(3306), sin_addr=inet_addr("XX.XX.XX.XX")}, 16) = -1 EINPROGRESS (Operation now in progress) <0.000035> poll(, 1, 2000) = 1 () <0.000120>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan007
5 Replies
fopen(3UCB)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Library Functions					       fopen(3UCB)

NAME
fopen, freopen - open a stream SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/cc[ flag ... ] file ... #include <stdio.h> FILE *fopen( file, mode); const char *file, *mode; FILE *freopen(file, mode, iop); const char *file, *mode; register FILE *iop; DESCRIPTION
The fopen() function opens the file specified by file and associates a stream with it. If the open succeeds, fopen() returns a pointer to be used to identify the stream in subsequent operations. The file argument points to a character string that contains the name of the file to be opened. The mode argument is a character string having one of the following values: r open for reading w truncate or create for writing a append: open for writing at end of file, or create for writing r+ open for update (reading and writing) w+ truncate or create for update a+ append; open or create for update at EOF The freopen() function opens the file specified by file and associates the stream pointed to by iop with it. The mode argument is used just as in fopen(). The original stream is closed, regardless of whether the open ultimately succeeds. If the open succeeds, freopen() returns the original value of iop. The freopen() function is typically used to attach the preopened streams associated withstdin, stdout, and stderr to other files. When a file is opened for update, both input and output can be performed on the resulting stream. Output cannot be directly followed by input without an intervening fseek(3C) or rewind(3C). Input cannot be directly followed by output without an intervening fseek(3C) or rewind(3C). An input operation that encounters EOF will fail. RETURN VALUES
The fopen() and freopen() functions return a NULL pointer on failure. USAGE
The fopen() and freopen() functions have transitional interfaces for 64-bit file offsets. See lf64(5). SEE ALSO
open(2), fclose(3C), fopen(3C), freopen(3C), fseek(3C), malloc(3C), rewind(3C), lf64(5) NOTES
Use of these functions should be restricted to applications written on BSD platforms. Use of these functions with any of the system libraries or in multithreaded applications is unsupported. To support the same number of open files as the system, fopen() must allocate additional memory for data structures using malloc(3C) after 64 files have been opened. This confuses some programs that use their own memory allocators. The fopen() and freopen() functions differ from the standard I/O functions fopen(3C) and freopen(3C). The standard I/O functions distin- guish binary from text files with an additional use of 'b' as part of the mode, enabling portability of fopen(3C) and freopen(3C) beyond SunOS 4.x systems. SunOS 5.10 22 Jan 1993 fopen(3UCB)