Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Spaces in variables
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Spaces in variables Post 302622261 by digitalviking on Wednesday 11th of April 2012 10:52:57 PM
Old 04-11-2012
Spaces in variables

I'm having a problem with this....

---------------------------------------------------

Code:
#!/bin/bash

SPKTAG=" | festival --tts"
echo "Welcome to my shell program" "$SPKTAG";

---------------------------------------------------

I have a variable call SPKTAG " | festival --tts" and I want to be it executable.

festival is a speaking program and the command line works like this:

echo "Welcome to my shell program" | festival --tts;

but I want the " | festival --tts" to be a variable so I can turn it off or on.

Any ideas?

Cheers
DV

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 04-12-2012 at 01:23 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing spaces from variables?

I stored results like this VAR=`wc -l < ls.txt` But the value of the wc gave me a padded number. How do I strip the padding from $VAR? Do you think I could use SED? Except instead of a file input, have a variable redirection input? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read variables contain spaces from text file

Dears, I developed a shell script to read varibales from text file as the following: cat /dev/null > /rename-OUT.txt while read line do set -- `echo $line` snmpset -c dslmibs $1 sysName.0 octetstring $2 after=$(snmpget -c dslmibs $1 sysName.0 | cut -d: -f3) echo "$1,$2,$after" >>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmed.zaher
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - add backslash in front of variables w/ spaces

Hello, Im writing a script that works by recursively going into directories with find. But I have some directories that have spaces in them.. so I need to parse the variables to add a backslash before the spaces. Im not exactly sure how how to do this in bash, and honestly I dont think I know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables containing spaces in lpadmin

I apologize for the long post. I have a lot of info... I am trying to write a script that will add a network printer (or several) to a system using information read in from a text file. My problem is the spaces in the PPD file name, I'm not sure how to put the file name in or how to read it back... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HalfNube
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spaces in Lines for Variables

All, I am driving myself crazy over this one. I have run a find command against a volume on a nas. That returns a full listing of path and file name. This is an example of one line of output. I redirected the output of the find command to a file. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubbwe
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csh Problem using spaces in string variables

I have done something like this set phases = "a b" set phases = "phases="$phases echo $phases I get phases=a instead of phases=a b (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spaces in filenames located in variables in shell.

Greetings. I am trying to do a script that will do some file copying for me. Unfortunately I have spaces in the directory names (which I cannot change) and the result is someone hard to achieve in shell scripts. I have searched everywhere on the web but does not manage to find the answer to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.Glaurung
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

White spaces issue with shell variables

Hi all, I've a requirement as below Source file src.txt sample data: A<10 white spaces>B12<5 white spaces>C<17 white spaces> A1<5 white spaces>B22<5 white spaces>C13<17 white spaces> when I'm fetching a record from this file into a shell variable like below: vRec=`head -1 src.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu_1126
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Working with lines or variables that have spaces or special characters

Example: while read line do stat -c %G $line done < somefile.txtThe problem is that inside somefile.txt lines can have any symbol allowed as file name, like (). Even with spaces, it splits the words. somefile.txt:dira/my first jump.avi dirb/surf video (1080p).mkv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curl not accepting spaces in script via variables

Hi All, I'm trying to run a script which issues rest commands via curl to an endpoint. If I put spaces in fields via something like insomnia, it works, but when I try from an input file, it's failing with a json error. while IFS=, read mname oname <------ my input file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: say170
10 Replies
FESTIVAL(1)						      General Commands Manual						       FESTIVAL(1)

NAME
festival - a text-to-speech system. SYNOPSIS
festival [options] [file0] [file1] ... DESCRIPTION
Festival is a general purpose text-to-speech system. As well as simply rendering text as speech it can be used in an interactive command mode for testing and developing various aspects of speech synthesis technology. Festival has two major modes, command and tts (text-to-speech). When in command mode input (from file or interactively) is interpreted by the command interpreter. When in tts mode input is rendered as speech. When in command mode filenames that start with a left parenthesis are treated as literal commands and evaluated. OPTIONS
-q Load no default setup files --datadir <string> Set data directory pathname --libdir <string> Set library directory pathname -b Run in batch mode (no interaction) --batch Run in batch mode (no interaction) --tts Synthesize text in files as speech no files means read from stdin (implies no interaction by default) -i Run in interactive mode (default) --interactive Run in interactive mode (default) --pipe Run in pipe mode, reading commands from stdin, but no prompt or return values are printed (default if stdin not a tty) --language <string> Run in named language, default is english, spanish, russian, welsh and others are available --server Run in server mode waiting for clients of server_port (1314) --script <ifile> Used in #! scripts, runs in batch mode on file and passes all other args to Scheme --heap <int> {1000000} Set size of Lisp heap, should not normally need to be changed from its default -v Display version number and exit --version Display version number and exit BUGS
More than you can imagine. A manual with much detail (though not complete) is available in distributed as part of the system and is also accessible at http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/manual/ Although we cannot guarantee the time required to fix bugs, we would appreciated it if they were reported to festival-bug@cstr.ed.ac.uk AUTHOR
Alan W Black, Richard Caley and Paul Taylor (C) Centre for Speech Technology Research, 1996-1998 University of Edinburgh 80 South Bridge Edinburgh EH1 1HN http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival.html 6th Apr 1998 FESTIVAL(1)