Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to write a shell script to automatically accept return key with out user intervention? Post 302622151 by vadlamudy on Wednesday 11th of April 2012 04:18:24 PM
Old 04-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Try redirecting /dev/null into its standard input. The prompt might just not wait when standard input can't be read.

Got it..iam able to skip entering return key by redirecting /dev/null into its standard input

Last edited by vadlamudy; 04-11-2012 at 05:29 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to vadlamudy For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to include RETURN KEY with Background process "&" in Shell Script

Hello All, I am a newbie in Shell script programming, and maybe you can help me with my query. I need to write a shell script (mntServer.ksh) that will start a background process and also to be able to run another script. The mntServer.ksh script contains: #!/bin/ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: racbern
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use ssh command in the shell script without user intervention?

Hello All, I need your help, i would like to know how to use ssh command in the shell scripts? and make the script continue to enter the password without user intervention example of the normal commands written manually: # ssh 172.30.1.256 -l mxread password: mxread Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to login to attached SUN Storage through Solaris m/c w/o user intervention

I want to create a shell script to CLI login to attached SUN 6140 storage from Sun Solaris 9 m/c (instead of using CAM ) but that prompts me for password despite the fact that i am adding them in script .. i am using "expect" feature for this .. however as i never used "expect " before .. so... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogesh29sharma
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script that will automatically check if specifed user is log in or not, in 30 seconds

guys I need emergency help with below shell script assignment..am new to shell script Write a Shell script to automatically check that a specified user is logged in to the computer. The program should allow the person running the script to specify the name of the user to be checked, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurmad
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SQL PLUS Command 'ACCEPT' is not waiting for user input with sh shell script

Dear All, The sqlplus 'Accept' command is not waiting for user input when I include the command within a shell script. Note: The 'Accept' command is working fine if I execute it in a SQLPLUS Prompt. Please fins the below sample script which i tried. SCRIPT: -------- #!... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to enter a return key in bash script?

Hi, I'm porting an install script from AIX to Red Hat (2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP) I have this script working in both AIX and HP-UX. The script is a wrapper for a Micro Focus Server Express install program. It responds to the install program questions with a here-now list. Responses includes... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: duker61
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to write bash script that will automatically extract zip file

i'm trying to write a bash script that that will automatically extract zip files after the download. i writed this script #!/bin/bash wget -c https://github.com/RonGokhle/kernel-downloader/zipball/master CURRENDIR=/home/kernel-downloader cd $CURRENDIR rm $CURRENDIR/zipfiles 2>/dev/null ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron gokhle
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to accept user input on the fly

I want a shell script that accepts user input simultaneously when performing other tasks. Example: A shell script should echo some messages on the console and when the user presses some keys it should respond to that action. say, when user presses the key A - more information should be printed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To ask for user intervention

hi guys i want my cron to execute for every minute (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: azherkn3
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

• Write a shell script that upon invocation shows the time and date and lists all the logged-in user

help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sonu pandey
1 Replies
DAEMON(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 DAEMON(3)

NAME
daemon -- run in the background LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int daemon(int nochdir, int noclose); DESCRIPTION
The daemon() function is for programs wishing to detach themselves from the controlling terminal and run in the background as system daemons. Unless the argument nochdir is non-zero, daemon() changes the current working directory to the root (/). Unless the argument noclose is non-zero, daemon() will redirect standard input, standard output and standard error to /dev/null. RETURN VALUES
On return 0 indicates success with -1 indicating error. ERRORS
The function daemon() may fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the library functions fork(2) and setsid(2). SEE ALSO
fork(2), setsid(2) HISTORY
The daemon() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. CAVEATS
Unless the noclose argument is non-zero, daemon() will close the first three file descriptors and redirect them to /dev/null. Normally, these correspond to standard input, standard output and standard error. However, if any of those file descriptors refer to something else they will still be closed, resulting in incorrect behavior of the calling program. This can happen if any of standard input, standard output or standard error have been closed before the program was run. Programs using daemon() should therefore make sure to either call daemon() before opening any files or sockets or, alternately, verifying that any file descriptors obtained have a value greater than 2. BUGS
daemon() uses fork() as part of its tty detachment mechanism. Consequently the process id changes when daemon() is invoked. Processes employing daemon() can not be reliably waited upon until daemon() has been invoked. BSD
September 3, 1999 BSD