Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to handle variable with spaces in ksh Post 302622125 by Corona688 on Wednesday 11th of April 2012 04:00:07 PM
Old 04-11-2012
This is a side-effect of useless use of backticks. The shell splits where it pleases, not on lines.

To read lines, use the read command.

Code:
while read LINE
do
        echo "Line was $LINE"
done <inputfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip leading and trailing spaces only in a shell variable with embedded spaces

I am trying to strip all leading and trailing spaces of a shell variable using either awk or sed or any other utility, however unscuccessful and need your help. echo $SH_VAR | command_line Syntax. The SH_VAR contains embedded spaces which needs to be preserved. I need only for the leading and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to handle spaces in filenames

I'm trying to do something like that: for $filename in `ls -1` do some_command $filename done but it doesn't work properly for file names with spaces, for...in splits at spaces. Anyway around? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rayne
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh, ksh: command to remove front spaces from a string?

dear pro-coders, is there any command out there that takes out the front spaces from a string? sample strings: 4 members 5 members 3 members but it has to be like so: 4 members 5 members 3 members (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pseudocoder
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: Comparing strings that contain spaces and working with substrings

Forgive me. I am very new to kornshell scripts. The simplest things stop me dead in my tracks. Here are two such examples. I want to save the first 19 characters of the following string to a variable. "Operation Completed and blah blah blah" I know this works (from another thread): ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nancylt723
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - read file with leading spaces

Hi, Could someone has any suggestions on this? When read a line from a file, I need to check the first char in the line, it could be a space or any char. But the leading spaces are removed by read. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: momi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

array in ksh with elems containing spaces

Hi all, I've a .csv file containing data per line delimited with '|' (The fields may contains elements with spaces). e.g. (really a sample) ID|Name|fon 12345|Celal Dikici|+4921123456 12346|Celal Dikici Jun.|+4921123456 12347|Celal Dikici Sen.|+4921123456 12348|Celal|+4921123456... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Celald
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: removing all white spaces

'String' file contains the following contents, D11, D31, D92, D29, D24, using ksh, I want to remove all white spaces between characters no matter how long the string is. Would you please give me some help? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoonius
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle grepping variable data containing wildcards?

I have a lot of files with keywords and unique names. I'm using a shell script to refer to a simple pattern file with comma separated values in order to match on certain keywords. The problem is that I don't understand how to handle the wildcard values when I want to skip over the unique names. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abercrom
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle variable with special character?

Hi Gurus, I have a requirement which needs to pass a parameter when calling the script, using this parameter to find a file name stored in master file. then read the file content. the issue is in the file name has a special character "$". don't know how to handle this. below is example: the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_k
10 Replies
URI::URL(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       URI::URL(3)

NAME
URI::URL - Uniform Resource Locators SYNOPSIS
$u1 = URI::URL->new($str, $base); $u2 = $u1->abs; DESCRIPTION
This module is provided for backwards compatibility with modules that depend on the interface provided by the "URI::URL" class that used to be distributed with the libwww-perl library. The following differences exist compared to the "URI" class interface: o The URI::URL module exports the url() function as an alternate constructor interface. o The constructor takes an optional $base argument. The "URI::URL" class is a subclass of "URI::WithBase". o The URI::URL->newlocal class method is the same as URI::file->new_abs. o URI::URL::strict(1) o $url->print_on method o $url->crack method o $url->full_path: same as ($uri->abs_path || "/") o $url->netloc: same as $uri->authority o $url->epath, $url->equery: same as $uri->path, $uri->query o $url->path and $url->query pass unescaped strings. o $url->path_components: same as $uri->path_segments (if you don't consider path segment parameters) o $url->params and $url->eparams methods o $url->base method. See URI::WithBase. o $url->abs and $url->rel have an optional $base argument. See URI::WithBase. o $url->frag: same as $uri->fragment o $url->keywords: same as $uri->query_keywords o $url->localpath and friends map to $uri->file. o $url->address and $url->encoded822addr: same as $uri->to for mailto URI o $url->groupart method for news URI o $url->article: same as $uri->message SEE ALSO
URI, URI::WithBase COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1998-2000 Gisle Aas. perl v5.18.2 2012-02-11 URI::URL(3)