Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Identifying files with a timestamp greater than a given timestamp Post 302621531 by nkm0brm on Tuesday 10th of April 2012 02:51:13 PM
Old 04-10-2012
Identifying files with a timestamp greater than a given timestamp

I need to be able to identify files with file timestamps greater than a given timestamp.

I am using the following solution, although it appears to compare files at the "seconds" granularity and I need it at the milliseconds. When I tested my solution, it missed files that had timestamps greater than the given timestamp, but had the same "seconds" as the given timestamp.

Code:
#!/bin/ksh

DT_TMSTMP='2012-04-10 08:39:17.807192000'

touch --date "$DT_TMSTMP" ./last_date
for i in `find $INFA_SHARED/SrcFiles/NANTEST/Src -newer ./last_date`
do
  print $i
done
exit

It missed these three timestamps:
Code:
08:39:17.861192000
08:39:17.943182000
08:39:17.967204000

and picked up files starting at:
Code:
08:39:18.019186000

Do I have any options to fix this?
Thanks

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Code tags for code, please.

Last edited by Corona688; 04-10-2012 at 04:34 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing timestamp of two files

Hi! I need to copy a whole bunch of file from a build directory to my working directory. Many of these files already exist in my working directory. I need to copy only those files that have been modified since I last copied.. How do I compare the timestamp of two files, so that I would copy... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

conversion of different timestamp to standard timestamp

hi i need a scrit to convert one date format to another. for example i have three columns in a file which gets a different format, but lastly i want output with stadard timestamp as "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss" column1 column2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dprakash
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timestamp of old files

Hi I have a question if i give ls -ltr i get in the following order I dont get time stamp of old files where as the latest ones have time stamp How can i get the timestamp in the old files of 2008 and the one file of Jan 2009 -rw-rw-r-- 1 console staff 204 Nov 19 2008 msg -rw-rw-r-- 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a relative timestamp from timestamp stored in a file

Hi, I've a file in the following format 1999-APR-8 17:31:06 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:15 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:25 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:30 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:55 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:32:06 1500 3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare a file by its timestamp and store in a different location whenever timestamp changes?

Hi All, I am new to unix programming. I am trying for a requirement and the requirement goes like this..... I have a test folder. Which tracks log files. After certain time, the log file is getting overwritten by another file (randomly as the time interval is not periodic). I need to preserve... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailsara
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to get all the records from a log file greater than timestamp supplied.

I have a log file which has records with hung thread information/error I need to find out hung thread from log file greater than timestamp supplied. 00000026 ThreadMonitor W WSVR0605W: Thread "WebContainer : 1" (00000027) has been active for 701879 milliseconds and may be hung. There is/are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: megh
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check timestamp in logfile and display lines upto 3 hours before current timestamp

Hi Friends, I have the following logfile. Currently time in india is 07/31/2014 12:33:34 and i have the following content in logfile. I want to display only those entries which contain string 'Exception' within last 3 hours. In this case, it would be the last line only I can get the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX : Need to convert UNIX Timestamp to normal timestamp

Hello , I am working on AIX. I have to convert Unix timestamp to normal timestamp. Below is the file. The Unix timestamp will always be preceded by EFFECTIVE_TIME as first field as shown and there could be multiple EFFECTIVE_TIME in the file : 3.txt Contents of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing of files between two timestamp

Hi, I want to list down the files between two timestamp. But I can not use newer or newermt command as it doesn't support these tokens. Is there any other way to achieve this? Else I have to write too much of coding . Input Dec 01 02:02 Dec 02 05:07 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhijit Sen
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep lines between last hour timestamp and current timestamp

So basically I have a log file and each line in this log file starts with a timestamp: MON DD HH:MM:SS SEP 15 07:30:01 I need to grep all the lines between last hour timestamp and current timestamp. Then these lines will be moved to a tmp file from which I will grep for particular strings. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nms
1 Replies
utc(1m) 																   utc(1m)

NAME
utc - A dcecp object that manipulates UTC timestamps SYNOPSIS
utc add timestamp relative_timestamp utc compare absolute_timestamp absolute_timestamp [-noinaccuracy] utc convert absolute_timestamp [-gmt] utc help [operation | -verbose] utc multiply relative_timestamp {integer | floating_point_factor} utc operations utc subtract timestamp timestamp ARGUMENTS
An International Organization for Standardization (ISO) compliant time format of the following form: CCYY-MMDD- hh:mm:ss.fff[+|-]hh:mmIsss.fff The Time Differential Factor (TDF) component [+|-]hh.mm, if present, indicates the offset from Universal Time Coordinated (UTC) time and implies local system time. The inaccuracy component Iss.fff, if present, specifies the duration of the time interval that contains the absolute time. A floating-point number such as 53.234. A whole number such as 79. The name of the utc operation for which to display help information. A Distributed Time Service (DTS) timestamp of the following form: [-]DD-hh:mm:ss.fff- Iss.fff Relative times often omit fractions of seconds (the leftmost .fff sequence) and generally lack an inaccuracy component (Iss.fff). For example, a relative time of 21 days, 8 hours, and 15 minutes is expressed as 21-08:15:00. A utc timestamp that can be a relative or absolute time. See the relative_timestamp and absolute_timestamp argument descriptions for the format of these timestamps. DESCRIPTION
The utc object lets you add, compare, and convert timestamps in DTS and ISO formats. OPERATIONS
utc add Adds two timestamps. The syntax is as follows: utc add timestamp relative_timestamp The add operation returns the sum of two timestamps. The timestamps can be two relative times or an absolute time and a relative time. Privileges Required No special privileges are needed to use the utc add command. Examples dcecp> utc add 1994-10-18-13:21:50.419-04:00I----- +0-00:02:00.000I----- 1994-10-18-13:23:50.419-04:00I----- dcecp> utc compare Compares two absolute timestamps indicating the temporal order. The syntax is as follows: utc compare absolute_timestamp absolute_time- stamp [-noinaccuracy] The compare operation compares two timestamps and returns -1 if the first is earlier, 1 if the second is earlier, and 0 if the difference is indeterminate. Specify the -noinaccuracy option to ignore inaccuracies in comparisons; in this case a return of 0 indicates the times are the same. Privileges Required No special privileges are needed to use the utc compare command. Examples dcecp> utc compare 1994-10-18-13:22:32.816-04:00I----- > 1994-10-18-13:21:50.419-04:00I----- -noinaccuracy 1 dcecp> utc convert Converts a timestamp from UTC to local time. The syntax is as follows: utc convert absolute_timestamp [-gmt] The convert operation accepts a timestamp and returns another timestamp that expresses the same time in the local time zone. If called with the -gmt option it returns a Greenwich mean time (GMT) formatted timestamp. Privileges Required No special privileges are needed to use the utc convert command. Examples dcecp> utc convert 1994-10-18-13:22:32.816-00:00I----- 1994-10-18-09:22:32.816-04:00I----- dcecp> dcecp> utc convert 1994-10-18-13:22:32.816-00:00I----- -gmt 1994-10-18-13:22:32.816I----- dcecp> utc help Returns help information about the utc object and its operations. The syntax is as follows: utc help [operation | -verbose] Options Displays information about the utc object. Used without an argument or option, the utc help command returns brief information about each utc operation. The optional operation argu- ment is the name of an operation about which you want detailed information. Alternatively, you can use the -verbose option for more detailed information about the utc object itself. Privileges Required No special privileges are needed to use the utc help command. Examples dcecp> utc help add Adds a relative and absolute, or two relative, timestamps. compare Compares two timestamps to determine which is earlier. convert Converts a timestamp into the local timezone or GMT. multiply Multiplies a relative timestamp by a number. subtract Returns the difference between two timestamps. help Prints a summary of command-line options. operations Returns a list of the valid operations for this command. dcecp> utc multiply Multiplies a relative time (a length of time) by an integer or floating-point factor. The syntax is as follows: utc multiply rela- tive_timestamp {integer | floating_point_factor} The multiply operation accepts two arguments: a relative timestamp and an integer or floating-point factor. It multiplies the length of time (specified by the relative timestamp) by the integer or floating-point factor, returning the product as a relative timestamp. Privileges Required No special privileges are needed to use the utc multiply command. Examples dcecp> utc multiply +0-00:00:05.000I----- 3 +0-00:00:15.000I----- dcecp> utc operations Returns a list of the operations supported by the utc object. The syntax is as follows: utc operations The list of available operations is in alphabetical order except for help and operations, which are listed last. Privileges Required No special privileges are needed to use the utc operations command. Examples dcecp> utc operations add compare convert multiply subtract help operations dcecp> utc subtract Subtracts one timestamp from another, returning the difference as a relative timestamp. The syntax is as follows: utc subtract timestamp timestamp The subtract operation returns the difference between two timestamps that express either an absolute time and a relative time, two relative times, or two absolute times. Subtracting an absolute timestamp from a relative timestamp, however, is not allowed. The return value is an absolute or relative timestamp, depending on how the command is used. Privileges Required No special privileges are needed to use the utc subtract command. Examples dcecp> utc subtract 1994-10-18-13:22:32.816-00:00I----- +0-00:00:15.000I----- 1994-10-18-13:22:17.816+00:00I----- dcecp> RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: dcecp(1m), dcecp_clock(1m), dcecp_dts(1m), dtsd(1m). utc(1m)