Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: pxe boot server
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat pxe boot server Post 302621511 by boethius on Tuesday 10th of April 2012 01:58:13 PM
Old 04-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckeggs01
Hi

LABEL RHEL 6.1
MENU LABEL RHEL 6.1 KS
kernel rhel6.1/vmlinux append initrd=rhel6.1/initrd.img
method=http://192.168.0.102/rhel61
#ks=http://192.168.0.102/kickstart/test.cfg ksdevice=eth0 devfs=nomount

I basically get to my pxe boot menu, but when i select the rhel option to do the install nothing happens??? Any ideas.
You're almost there but your menu entry looks wrong.

If nothing happens when you attempt to select a menu entry it's almost certain the configuration options are either malformed or the item(s) you're attempting to load (notably, initrd.img and vmlinux) are not actually there.

I am fairly certain "method=" is not a valid option to put on the append line or otherwise. I've never seen it and I've been steeped in the Kickstart world for years. I would take it out.

I realize the forum software may have garbled the linebreaks, but just in case, for cleanliness, put each of these on their own line:
Code:
kernel rhel6.1/vmlinux 
append initrd=rhel6.1/initrd.img

Start with that. If that works then put ks=http://192.168.0.102/kickstart/test.cfg ksdevice=eth0 devfs=nomount back on the append line in the menu config.

If it still doesn't work then be really certain the rhel6.1 folder is in your tftpboot folder and that its permissions are correction; i.e.,
Code:
find -type d /yourtftpbootfolder -exec chmod 755 {} \; 
find -type f /yourtftpbootfolder -exec chmod 644 {} \;

If that all looks good and it still doesn't work you can use a tool like tcpdump to watch the tftp traffic to see how the daemon is responding; e.g.,
Code:
tcpdump -n -i eth0 port 69

You might get a clue if it's not finding the file(s) and/or folder(s) and resolve the issue from there.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

PXE boot port issue

Hi,all: I want to boot an IA unix box from network, I am sure I set the DHCP and boot server, but it still failed ! It says : Client MAC Address: 00 18 FE 28 91 82 .....- PXE-E16: Valid PXE offer not received. Load of Core LAN Gb A failed: Not Found I use the nettl command to trace the UDP... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluepluto
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is PXE boot bare-metal

hi members i am reading RHEL and i am unable to under stand about PXE boot and bare metal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wagmare
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Setting up a PXE Boot Server

I've set up a PXE boot server and I'm having a slight snag in the booting process. On the client machine, DHCP renders fine and TFTP seems to begin but then the system hangs. On the server, the error message "Client does not accept options" occurs -- which from reading online is a common message... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Colton
2 Replies

4. Solaris

boot server / install server

I have a compaq evo n400c. This computer has no cdrom or floppy drive. In order to boot from thumb drive i need to update bios. The only way to boot is network boot from my desktop. I am trying to follow a guide JumpStart Server Configuration ? Solaris 10 I am a bit confused at this steps. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kc2dws
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PXE diskless boot fails

Hi, I am trying to setup a server for a diskless boot of a computer class (with ubuntu) I followed the guidelines in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DisklessUbuntuHowto I have two computers: one is the server I installed and the other is my macbook on which I run a virtual machine... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yotamhc
8 Replies

6. Boot Loaders

PXE boot not taking the init= option

Hi Experts, I am doing PXE boot for my GNU/Linux device and pxelinux.0 loads the kernel as well as initrd images I have mentioned in the config file but it looks like it is not considering the init= option. Instead it starts the default INIT program. I wanted my customized init program to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: learn more
3 Replies

7. Solaris

PXE boot problems in Solaris 10

Hi folks, I was trying to setup Network based NFS installation with PXE. I'm using virtual box for this purpose. I have one redhat (DHCP) server and Solaris 10 (Install server - Source) and on the other one am trying to install solaris using PXE. As in, dhcp address and boot file can be fetched... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaytrendz
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Interactive PXE Boot Menu

I have been asked to modify our PXE server such that there will be only one entry in the pxelinux.cfg/default file, where the same kernel and initrd.img will be used regardless of what operating system is to be installed, and the user will type in the path to the kickstart file that will be used. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ceb
7 Replies

9. Red Hat

Moving boot SSD from a dead server to a new server

Hi all, We have a disk array that has the boot drive on an OCZ SSD on a PCIe card. Well, the motherboard died and we got a new motherboard. We moved the controllers, NICs, etc, to the exact same slots on the new motherboard, except now it won't boot. I guess it doesn't recognize the OS on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glowe57
1 Replies

10. Linux

Problem in displaying message on RHEL6 on EFI during PXE boot

Hi, I am doing PXE boot for RHEL6.4 on EFI and want to display custom messsage before loading vmlinuz and initrd.img, which is not working. boot server side (In case of BIOS client): In /var/lib/tftpboot/default file I am putting the message in below format: SAY hello world boot... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: indus123
0 Replies
kexec(8)							   User Manuals 							  kexec(8)

NAME
kexec - directly boot into a new kernel SYNOPSIS
/sbin/kexec [-v (--version)] [-f (--force)] [-x (--no-ifdown)] [-l (--load)] [-p (--load-panic)] [-u (--unload)] [-e (--exec)] [-t (--type)] [--mem-min=addr] [--mem-max=addr] DESCRIPTION
kexec is a system call that enables you to load and boot into another kernel from the currently running kernel. kexec performs the func- tion of the boot loader from within the kernel. The primary difference between a standard system boot and a kexec boot is that the hardware initialization normally performed by the BIOS or firmware (depending on architecture) is not performed during a kexec boot. This has the effect of reducing the time required for a reboot. Make sure you have selected CONFIG_KEXEC=y when configuring the kernel. The CONFIG_KEXEC option enables the kexec system call. USAGE
Using kexec consists of (1) loading the kernel to be rebooted to into memory, and (2) actually rebooting to the pre-loaded kernel. To load a kernel, the syntax is as follows: kexec -l kernel-image --append=command-line-options --initrd=initrd-image where kernel-image is the kernel file that you intend to reboot to. Insert the command-line parameters that must be passed to the new kernel into command-line-options. Passing the exact contents of /proc/cmdline into command-line-options is the safest way to ensure that correct values are passed to the rebooting kernel. The optional initrd-image is the initrd image to be used during boot. It's also possible to invoke kexec without an option parameter. In that case, kexec loads the specified kernel and then invokes shut- down(8). If the shutdown scripts of your Linux distribution support kexec-based rebooting, they then call kexec -e just before actually rebooting the machine. That way, the machine does a clean shutdown including all shutdown scripts. EXAMPLE
For example, if the kernel image you want to reboot to is /boot/vmlinux, the contents of /proc/cmdline is root=/dev/hda1, and the path to the initrd is /boot/initrd, then you would use the following command to load the kernel: kexec -l /boot/vmlinux --append=root=/dev/hda1 --initrd=/boot/initrd After this kernel is loaded, it can be booted to at any time using the command: kexec -e OPTIONS
-e (--exec) Run the currently loaded kernel. Note that it will reboot into the loaded kernel without calling shutdown(8). -f (--force) Force an immediate kexec call, do not call shutdown(8) (contrary to the default action without any option parameter). This option performs the same actions like executing -l and -e in one call. -h (--help) Open a help file for kexec. -l (--load) kernel Load the specified kernel into the current kernel. -p (--load-panic) Load the new kernel for use on panic. -t (--type=type) Specify that the new kernel is of this type. -u (--unload) Unload the current kexec target kernel. If a capture kernel is being unloaded then specify -p with -u. -v (--version) Return the version number of the installed utility. -x (--no-ifdown) Shut down the running kernel, but restore the interface on reload. (If this option is used, it must be specified last.) --mem-min=addr Specify the lowest memory address addr to load code into. --mem-max=addr Specify the highest memory address addr to load code into. SUPPORTED KERNEL FILE TYPES AND OPTIONS
Beoboot-x86 --args-elf Pass ELF boot notes. --args-linux Pass Linux kernel style options. -d (--debug) Enable debugging messages. --real-mode Use the kernel's real mode entry point. elf-x86 --append=string Append string to the kernel command line. --command-line=string Set the kernel command line to string. --reuse-cmdline Use the command line from the running system. When a panic kernel is loaded, it strips the crashkernel parameter automati- cally. The BOOT_IMAGE parameter is also stripped. --initrd=file Use file as the kernel's initial ramdisk. --ramdisk=file Use file as the kernel's initial ramdisk. bzImage-x86 --append=string Append string to the kernel command line. --command-line=string Set the kernel command line to string. --reuse-cmdline Use the command line from the running system. When a panic kernel is loaded, it strips the crashkernel parameter automati- cally. The BOOT_IMAGE parameter is also stripped. --initrd=file Use file as the kernel's initial ramdisk. --ramdisk=file Use file as the kernel's initial ramdisk. --real-mode Use real-mode entry point. multiboot-x86 --command-line=string Set the kernel command line to string. --reuse-cmdline Use the command line from the running system. When a panic kernel is loaded, it strips the crashkernel parameter automati- cally. The BOOT_IMAGE parameter is also stripped. --module=mod arg1 arg2 ... Load module mod with command-line arguments arg1 arg2 ... This parameter can be specified multiple times. ARCHITECTURE OPTIONS
--console-serial Enable the serial console. --console-vga Enable the VGA console. --elf32-core-headers Prepare core headers in ELF32 format. --elf64-core-headers Prepare core headers in ELF64 format. --reset-vga Attempt to reset a standard VGA device. --serial=port Specify the serial port for debug output. --serial-baud=baud_rate Specify the baud rate of the serial port. Linux April 2006 kexec(8)