Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Check the permissions user
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Check the permissions user Post 302621473 by kingkner on Tuesday 10th of April 2012 12:12:29 PM
Old 04-10-2012
Check the permissions user

i have some question
Quote:
Check the permissions of a user
Users enter a user and a path to the directory.
Returns the result is the child folders and files in the folder the user to enter and rights that
that user on the directory.
for example:
suppose we have the Public folder as follows:

If user enter:
-Kenshin
or /home/kenshin/Public
output:
Code:
abc: kenshin: rw

my shell:
Code:
echo "Enter User:"       read user                grep "$user" /etc/group

but not very feasible, one can help me, help me plzzz, thank very much

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep - check the permissions of the file searched

What I need to do is: I need to use the grep command to search for pattern in directory and sub-directories. And also I need to show the permission of file been seached by the grep command. Could any one please suggest me? ----------------- $> cat file1.txt A -----------------... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johny001
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if user has read permissions

hi all, i have a script (ksh) which reads data from log files, how do i check to see if the user which is executing the script has read permissions to the file ? thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the mail permissions

Hi - I am trying to send email from unix box but none were delivered. I have tried multiple commands like mailx, mail or sendmail. But none of them worked. can you please let me know how to check if I have the right permissions to send the mail or not? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
1 Replies

4. Solaris

user permissions

hi i want to display the usernames,usergroups user permissions and user home directory's with in a single command.and possibities are their for getting this output .. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check file permissions from a script.

hello, I have to write a script to run the other script inside it.So iam planning to write like this? first check the perimissions of the file. Alogorthim ---------- if(!filepermissions == execute) then echo" Permissions denined" else execute the script. file name is : load_mf.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the permissions linux user

i have some question for example: suppose we have the Public folder as follows: https://www.unix.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2759&stc=1&d=1334070669 If the user enter: -Kenshin or /home/kenshin/Public output: abc: kenshin: rw my shell: echo "Enter User:" read user ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingkner
3 Replies

7. Programming

To check the file permissions using python scripting

Hi, For a particular set of files, am trying to check if they are writable. i.e., checking whether they are having permissions greater than 755. Am able to check this using the statement: "if (os.path.isfile(FILE_PATH) and (os.stat(FILE_PATH).st_mode & 0777) == 0777):" But the problem here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjun_arippa
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check the file permissions using python scripting

Hi, For a particular set of files, am trying to check if they are writable. i.e., checking whether they are having permissions greater than 755. Am able to check this using the statement: "if (os.path.isfile(FILE_PATH) and (os.stat(FILE_PATH).st_mode & 0777) == 0777):" But the problem... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arjun_arippa
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a way to check when the permissions for the file got changed in AIX

Is there a way to check when the permissions for the file got changed in AIX IS there some file which logs all these details? Best regards, Vishal (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's the best way to check file permissions before moving files if needed?

Hello, I would like to know if it's a good practice to check the file permissions of the contents of a directory before moving them. For example: mv -- "$directory"/* "$directory"/.* "$directory"/..?* "$destination"The variables $directory and $destination contain the path to an existing... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cacializ
6 Replies
CHKSTAT(8)					      Tool to check and set file permissions						CHKSTAT(8)

NAME
chkstat - Tool to check and set file permissions SYNOPSIS
chkstat [--set|-set] [--noheader] [[--examine file ]...] [[--files filelist ]...] [[--root directory ]...] permission-file ... DESCRIPTION
The program /usr/bin/chkstat is a tool to check and set file permissions. Multiple permissions files can be given on the commandline. If the permission files contain multiple entries for a single file, the last entry found will be used. General Options --set, -set This option enables setting the file permissions, the default is to check and warn only. --noheader Omit printing the output header lines. --examine file Check permissions for this file and not all files listed in the permissions files. --files filelist Check permissions for the files listed in filelist and not for all files listed in the permissions files. --root directory Prefix the files given in the permissions files by this directory. EXAMPLE
The command chkstat -set /etc/permissions will parse the file /etc/permissions and set the access mode and the user- and group memberships each file listed. The format for the input file is FILEPATH OWNER:GROUP MODE and wildcards are not supported for the filepath. Lines starting with '#' and empty lines are treated as comments. COPYRIGHT
1996-2003 SuSE Linux AG, Nuernberg, Germany. 2008 SUSE LINUX Products GmbH AUTHORS
Reinhold Sojer, Ruediger Oertel, Michael Schroeder Useful changes and additions by Tobias Burnus 3rd Berkeley Distribution 2008-04-17 CHKSTAT(8)