Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check the permissions linux user Post 302621429 by kingkner on Tuesday 10th of April 2012 11:18:26 AM
Old 04-10-2012
Check the permissions linux user

i have some question
Quote:
Check the permissions of a user
Users enter a user and a path to the directory.
Returns the result is the child folders and files in the folder the user to enter and rights that
that user on the directory.
for example:
suppose we have the Public folder as follows:

Check the permissions linux user-capturepng

If the user enter:
-Kenshin
or /home/kenshin/Public
output:
Code:
 abc: kenshin: rw

my shell:
Code:
echo "Enter User:"
      read user        
       grep "$user" /etc/group

but not very feasible, one can help me, help me plzzz, thank very much
Check the permissions linux user-capturepng

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep - check the permissions of the file searched

What I need to do is: I need to use the grep command to search for pattern in directory and sub-directories. And also I need to show the permission of file been seached by the grep command. Could any one please suggest me? ----------------- $> cat file1.txt A -----------------... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johny001
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if user has read permissions

hi all, i have a script (ksh) which reads data from log files, how do i check to see if the user which is executing the script has read permissions to the file ? thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the mail permissions

Hi - I am trying to send email from unix box but none were delivered. I have tried multiple commands like mailx, mail or sendmail. But none of them worked. can you please let me know how to check if I have the right permissions to send the mail or not? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check file permissions from a script.

hello, I have to write a script to run the other script inside it.So iam planning to write like this? first check the perimissions of the file. Alogorthim ---------- if(!filepermissions == execute) then echo" Permissions denined" else execute the script. file name is : load_mf.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Check the permissions user

i have some question for example: suppose we have the Public folder as follows: https://www.unix.com/attachments/shell-programming-scripting/2759d1334070669-check-permissions-linux-user-capture.png If user enter: -Kenshin or /home/kenshin/Public output: abc: kenshin: rw my shell:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingkner
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Control M user permissions on Red Hat Linux

All, Requirement: Permissions Required for Control M on Linux I am using the Linux as the operating system. I am told to get an user configured for Control M on Linux. The user would be an authenticated user created by the client. The user created requires permissions to be made available so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roadies99
2 Replies

7. Programming

To check the file permissions using python scripting

Hi, For a particular set of files, am trying to check if they are writable. i.e., checking whether they are having permissions greater than 755. Am able to check this using the statement: "if (os.path.isfile(FILE_PATH) and (os.stat(FILE_PATH).st_mode & 0777) == 0777):" But the problem here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjun_arippa
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check the file permissions using python scripting

Hi, For a particular set of files, am trying to check if they are writable. i.e., checking whether they are having permissions greater than 755. Am able to check this using the statement: "if (os.path.isfile(FILE_PATH) and (os.stat(FILE_PATH).st_mode & 0777) == 0777):" But the problem... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arjun_arippa
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a way to check when the permissions for the file got changed in AIX

Is there a way to check when the permissions for the file got changed in AIX IS there some file which logs all these details? Best regards, Vishal (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's the best way to check file permissions before moving files if needed?

Hello, I would like to know if it's a good practice to check the file permissions of the contents of a directory before moving them. For example: mv -- "$directory"/* "$directory"/.* "$directory"/..?* "$destination"The variables $directory and $destination contain the path to an existing... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cacializ
6 Replies
RMF(1)                                                               [nmh-1.5]                                                              RMF(1)

NAME
rmf - remove an nmh folder SYNOPSIS
rmf [+folder] [-interactive | -nointeractive] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Rmf removes all of the messages (files) within the specified (or default) folder, and then removes the folder (directory) itself. If there are any files within the folder which are not a part of nmh, they will not be removed, and an error will be produced. If the folder is given explicitly or the -nointeractive option is given, then the folder will be removed without confirmation. Otherwise, the user will be asked for confirmation. If rmf can't find the current folder, for some reason, the folder to be removed defaults to `+inbox' (unless overridden by user's profile entry "Inbox") with confirmation. If the folder being removed is a subfolder, the parent folder will become the new current folder, and rmf will produce a message telling the user this has happened. This provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list and returning to the current folder from which the list was extracted. If rmf s used on a read-only folder, it will delete all the (private) sequences (i.e., "atr-seq-folder" entries) for this folder from your context without affecting the folder itself. Rmf irreversibly deletes messages that don't have other links, so use it with caution. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Inbox: To find the default inbox SEE ALSO
rmm(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder, usually with confirmation `-interactive' if +folder' not given, `-nointeractive' otherwise CONTEXT
Rmf will set the current folder to the parent folder if a subfolder is removed; or if the current folder is removed, it will make "inbox" current. Otherwise, it doesn't change the current folder or message. BUGS
Although intuitively one would suspect that rmf works recursively, it does not. Hence if you have a sub-folder within a folder, in order to rmf the parent, you must first rmf each of the children. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMF(1)