Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Combine sed command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Combine sed command Post 302621113 by agama on Monday 9th of April 2012 10:18:11 PM
Old 04-09-2012
Interesting. I just created a test file with all characters 128 - 255 (8 bit on) and the above sed removes them as expected.

What OS and what version of sed?

My sample input with plain text scattered about:
Code:
€�‚ƒthis is a test
„...†‡ˆ‰Šand another test
‹Œ�Ž��‘'“”•--˜™š›
foo barœ�žŸ 

other stuff here: ¡¢£¤¥¦§¨©ª«¬°±²³´µ¶·¸¹º»¼½¾¿ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖ×ØÙÚÛÜÝÞßàáâãäåæçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõö÷øùúûüýþ

After running the above sed:

Code:
-this is a test
-and another test
-
foo bar-

other stuff here: -

Maybe someone else has a suggestion, but it works as I would expect with both a Gnu and BSD sed.
This User Gave Thanks to agama For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

combine 2 lines (command & echo)

does anyone know how to combine 2 lines? this is what im playing around with. (filename: online, user name: prml0001, real name: primal) #!/bin/sh who | grep $1 > /dev/null if then grep $1 /etc/passwd | cut -f 5, -d : echo is logged on exit 0 else grep $1... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed or grep or perl combine two lines

how do i search for the phrase "expected" on line one and "received" on line two. (there is a newline in between the two) I would like to know if/how this can be done in perl and/or grep and/or sed (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: artjaniger
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SImple HELP! how to combine two lines together using sed or awk..

hi..im new to UNIX... ok i have this information in the normal shell... there are 2 lines display like this: h@hotmail.com k@hotmail.com i want it to display like this with a space betweem them h@hotmail.com k@hotmail.com the information is stored in a text file.... anyone... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed, grep, cut or combine?

I am a beginner at shell scripting, actually i am working on my first script right now. Anyway i have searched the world how to grep two letters from each word (it will always just be two words). For example: Example Blablabla I want my script to cut out Ex (from the first word) and Bl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maskot
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop with sed command to replace line with sed command in it

Okay, title is kind of confusion, but basically, I have a lot of scripts on a server that I need to replace a ps command, however, the new ps command I'm trying to replace the current one with pipes to sed at one point. So now I am attempting to create another script that replaces that line. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the command use to combine line using sed

Hi all, What is the sed command use to combine line? Example: Below is an output after extracted from few commands aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg and i would like to combine all the line as shown below, aaa,bbb,ccc,ddd,eee,fff (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 793589
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to combine 2 files using sed

hi all I have two files file1 aaa bbb ccc ddd file2 111 222 333 444 I would like to using "SED" combine two files together Please help Thank all (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yuesko
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combine multiple sed

Would like to convert it to one line sed -i -e '/./,$!d' term1.txt sed -i '2d' term1.txt sed -i '/^$/Q' term1.txt cat term1.txt>> test1.txt Appreciate if someone could point out the error sed -i -e '/./,$!d' -e '2d' -e '/^$/Q' term1.txt cat term1.txt>> $test1.txt ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: w020637
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Efficient way to combine command

im currently running the following command to grab all arguments in front of a script, directly from the process table. # cat /tmp/allmyprocs ubuntu 9933 27793 0 03:29 pts/0 00:00:00 /bin/sh ./prying.sh ubuntu 9941 9933 0 03:29 pts/0 00:00:00 sh ubuntu 9952 9941 0 03:29... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with sed to combine lines and remove specific odd # pattern from line

In the awk piped to sed below I am trying to format file by removing the odd xxxx_digits and whitespace after, then move the even xxxx_digit to the line above it and add a space between them. There may be multiple lines in file but they are in the same format. The Filename_ID line is the last line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
GENBACKUPDATA(1)					      General Commands Manual						  GENBACKUPDATA(1)

NAME
genbackupdata - generate backup test data SYNOPSIS
genbackupdata [--chunk-size=SIZE] [--config=FILE] [-c=SIZE] [--create=SIZE] [--depth=DEPTH] [--dump-config] [--dump-setting-names] [--file-size=SIZE] [--generate-manpage=TEMPLATE] [-h] [--help] [--list-config-files] [--log=FILE] [--log-keep=N] [--log-level=LEVEL] [--log-max=SIZE] [--max-files=MAX-FILES] [--no-default-configs] [--output=FILE] [--quiet] [--seed=SEED] [--version] DESCRIPTION
genbackupdata generates test data sets for performance testing of backup software. It creates a directory tree filled with files of dif- ferent sizes. The total size and the distribution of sizes between small and big are configurable. The program can also modify an exist- ing directory tree by creating new files, and deleting, renaming, or modifying existing files. This can be used to generate test data for successive generations of backups. The program is deterministic: with a given set of parameters (and a given pre-existing directory tree), it always creates the same output. This way, it is possible to reproduce backup tests exactly, without having to distribute the potentially very large test sets. The data set consists of plain files and directories. Files are either small text files or big binary files. Text files contain the "lorem ipsum" stanza, binary files contain randomly generated byte streams. The percentage of file data that is small text or big binary files can be set, as can the sizes of the respective file types. Files and directories are named "fileXXXX" or "dirXXXX", where "XXXX" is a successive integer, separate successions for files and directo- ries. There is an upper limit to how many files a directory may contain. After the file limit is reached, a new sub-directory is created. The first set of files go into the root directory of the test set. You have to give one of the options --create, --delete, --rename, or --modify for the program to do anything. You can, however, give more than one of them, if DIR already exists. (Giving the same option more than once means that only the last instance is counted.) (DIR) is created if it doesn't exist already. OPTIONS
--chunk-size=SIZE generate data in chunks of this size (default: 16384) --config=FILE add FILE to config files -c, --create=SIZE how much data to create (default: 0) --depth=DEPTH depth of directory tree (default: 3) --dump-config write out the entire current configuration --dump-setting-names write out all names of settings and quit --file-size=SIZE size of one file (default: 16384) --generate-manpage=TEMPLATE fill in manual page TEMPLATE -h, --help show this help message and exit --list-config-files list all possible config files --log=FILE write log entries to FILE --log-keep=N keep last N logs (10) --log-level=LEVEL log at LEVEL, one of debug, info, warning, error, critical, fatal (default: debug) --log-max=SIZE rotate logs larger than SIZE, zero for never (default: 0) --max-files=MAX-FILES max files/dirs per dir (default: 128) --no-default-configs clear list of configuration files to read --output=FILE write output to FILE, instead of standard output --quiet do not report progress --seed=SEED seed for random number generator (default: 0) --version show program's version number and exit EXAMPLES
Create data for the first generation of a backup: genbackupdata --create=10G testdir Modify an existing set of backup data to create a new generation: genbackupdata -c 5% -d 2% -m 5% -r 0.5% testdir The above command can be run for each new generation. GENBACKUPDATA(1)